Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
Sk734

Cougar 26RBS Travel Trailer

My wife and I are looking at this TT. We are older and need to go to one floor. How are the cable driven slides holding up in Cougars? Can you run it out when hooked up not level. Anyone know the thickness of floor and roof?. It seems to be heavy for length? Insulation good? We like you can get it with 50amps. Does heavier tow better than lighter? I am use to 5th wheel. I will pull with Silverado 2500HD.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
mikec557

Cougar 26RBSWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
My wife and I are looking at this TT. We are older and need to go to one floor. How are the cable driven slides holding up in Cougars? Can you run it out when hooked up not level. Anyone know the thickness of floor and roof?. It seems to be heavy for length? Insulation good? We like you can get it with 50amps. Does heavier tow better than lighter? I am use to 5th wheel. I will pull with Silverado 2500HD.
Thanks in advance.
Steve
My wife and I just bought a used 2020 26RBSWE. I think you're looking at a non-WE (western edition) so there may be some differences. This is our first cable driven slide. I was a little worried because I read some old posts where people had problems. But I can say it is the smoothest slide mechanism we've ever had (knock on wood). On previous RVs we've had rack and pinion and shewintec(sp). I think as technology goes, cable drive is good. I think the limiting factor is the employees installing it.

As for running it out when you're not level. Don't do it. As for connected to the tow vehicle, as in no stabilizers down, I think it's okay to do if, and only if, the trailer is level front to back and side to side. I adjusted our Equal-i-zer 4pt weight distribution anti sway hitch so that the trailer rides level when hooked to our GMC 3500. So if we park on a level spot (rest stop, truck stop, Walmart, wherever) I think it's okay to open the slide. Assuming we're not being inconsiderate etc.

Floor is two inch thick sandwich(+/-). Two layers of luan or a plastic composite they're switching to, then close to two inches of a stiff Styrofoam and then a single layer luan or composite. As for the roof, it's either 3/8 or 1/2 OSB on 16 center rafters. It's a walkable roof. I've been up there more times than I can count.

I would say the insulation is good. Recently we were camping where night temps were upper 40s to low 50s. I set the electric fireplace to 64 and we were very comfortable. I laughed at the electric fireplaces the first time I saw them. But I love it now. If it's an option, take it.

All I've ever towed was heavier so I can't help you with that one.

Good luck in your hunt.

PS we just switched from a 5th wheel to travel trailer and one of the biggest reasons was to get back to living on one floor.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
My wife and I just bought a used 2020 26RBSWE. I think you're looking at a non-WE (western edition) so there may be some differences. This is our first cable driven slide. I was a little worried because I read some old posts where people had problems. But I can say it is the smoothest slide mechanism we've ever had (knock on wood). On previous RVs we've had rack and pinion and shewintec(sp). I think as technology goes, cable drive is good. I think the limiting factor is the employees installing it.

As for running it out when you're not level. Don't do it. As for connected to the tow vehicle, as in no stabilizers down, I think it's okay to do if, and only if, the trailer is level front to back and side to side. I adjusted our Equal-i-zer 4pt weight distribution anti sway hitch so that the trailer rides level when hooked to our GMC 3500. So if we park on a level spot (rest stop, truck stop, Walmart, wherever) I think it's okay to open the slide. Assuming we're not being inconsiderate etc.

Floor is two inch thick sandwich(+/-). Two layers of luan or a plastic composite they're switching to, then close to two inches of a stiff Styrofoam and then a single layer luan or composite. As for the roof, it's either 3/8 or 1/2 OSB on 16 center rafters. It's a walkable roof. I've been up there more times than I can count.

I would say the insulation is good. Recently we were camping where night temps were upper 40s to low 50s. I set the electric fireplace to 64 and we were very comfortable. I laughed at the electric fireplaces the first time I saw them. But I love it now. If it's an option, take it.

All I've ever towed was heavier so I can't help you with that one.

Good luck in your hunt.

PS we just switched from a 5th wheel to travel trailer and one of the biggest reasons was to get back to living on one floor.

We were the same about the fireplace "wasted space", a useless "eye catcher". Wrong. It is an extremely handy appliance and DW loves to get up on a cold morning and sit in her chair in front of it. Now that was with the last one that actually looked sort of like a fireplace. We haven't used this Furrion which doesn't look realistic at all. Worst case maybe we can turn off the irritating "dazzle" and let it put out some heat.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #4
Sk734

Thanks for the replies. They were
very informative.
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 AM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk734 View Post
Thanks for the replies. They were
very informative.
You're welcome.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:29 AM   #6
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We were the same about the fireplace "wasted space", a useless "eye catcher". Wrong. It is an extremely handy appliance and DW loves to get up on a cold morning and sit in her chair in front of it. Now that was with the last one that actually looked sort of like a fireplace. We haven't used this Furrion which doesn't look realistic at all. Worst case maybe we can turn off the irritating "dazzle" and let it put out some heat.
We saw some of those "modern" looking fireplaces as we looked at some new units to evaluate floorplans. I think it sort of looks like a gas flame above crushed glass. Lucky for us, ours has the old fashioned look of flames flickering over glowing logs. But, you have to take what you can get (or R&R it for what you want). I'd still order the fireplace even if it wasn't the style I preferred. We full timed in the 5th wheel for almost 2 years with an electric fireplace. We almost never turned on the propane furnace. Which means the campground paid for our heat instead of me. 😁
Old 08-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
ewbldavis

I too had reservations about cable slides. Seem smooth, and I do like that entire system is "inside" unit. I asked service tech about system, seems they don't see alot of issues with them (he mentioned that about the Cougar in general).

X2 on fireplace too. Didn't care if we had one, but it's nice

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
mikec557

I'm not sure if the Eastern Edition is 30 amp or 50 amp. Our WE is wired for a second air conditioner, and I think that's why ours is 50amp. Our 1 AC was able to bring down an inside temp of 101 to 75 degrees reasonably quickly. I doubt we'd ever install a 2nd AC.

I say all that to say this. Our 50amp cord is HEAVY, and awkward to put into the pass through. If someone was able to buy a 26RSB with 30A instead of 50A I would give it serious consideration.

Just my thoughts
Mike
Old 08-25-2020, 12:33 PM   #9
LHaven

Our 30A 2019 26RBSWE is holding up well.

Insulation is adequate, not that we've taken it anywhere really frigid, but we've been all over air conditioning country and that's important, too.

The cable slide is laboring a skosh more on the retract than it did when it was new; probably needs a periodic lube, so I need to figure out how to perform that. We only run it out when on the levelers, even when hitched (overnight stops), so no data there. It's a no-walk floor unless extended, so we don't use the dinette or easy chairs at rest stops.

Thought I was getting the fireplace -- it arrived without, but with the stair upgrade I planned to order aftermarket for the DW anyway, so I took the trade. (Given all the tsouris we've had with our furnace, I wish we had gotten the fireplace.)

The 26RBS was our ideal floor plan, and we're enjoying it immensely (when we can get out in it).
Old 08-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Our 30A 2019 26RBSWE is holding up well.

Insulation is adequate, not that we've taken it anywhere really frigid, but we've been all over air conditioning country and that's important, too.

The cable slide is laboring a skosh more on the retract than it did when it was new; probably needs a periodic lube, so I need to figure out how to perform that. We only run it out when on the levelers, even when hitched (overnight stops), so no data there. It's a no-walk floor unless extended, so we don't use the dinette or easy chairs at rest stops.

Thought I was getting the fireplace -- it arrived without, but with the stair upgrade I planned to order aftermarket for the DW anyway, so I took the trade. (Given all the tsouris we've had with our furnace, I wish we had gotten the fireplace.)

The 26RBS was our ideal floor plan, and we're enjoying it immensely (when we can get out in it).

If you look at electric fireplace inserts on Amazon you'll see many about 7-8 inches deep. You can see in these pics the "add-on" cabinet they built for our fireplace. I think you could easily add one. I recently removed the louvered furnace cover located under the fridge. I could easily see the yellow 20a (12ga wire) running from the circuit breaker panel, across the front floor of the furnace compartment and into the side of the fireplace cabinet. If you're handy, it's a nice feature worth having.

Those ridged stairs are also nice. But I kinda wish they had installed the 4-step instead of 3-step. We have the ground feet extended to the last hole and still have to place a 2x4 under the foot to avoid putting stress on the floor where the steps are mounted. I may change them out someday.

We too are very happy with this floorplan. (it only took us 3 tries to get it right. LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200825_143735647.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	29408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200825_143741242.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	250.9 KB
ID:	29409  
Old 08-25-2020, 04:04 PM   #11
LHaven

Quote:
If you look at electric fireplace inserts on Amazon you'll see many about 7-8 inches deep. You can see in these pics the "add-on" cabinet they built for our fireplace. I think you could easily add one.

Those ridged stairs are also nice. But I kinda wish they had installed the 4-step instead of 3-step. We have the ground feet extended to the last hole and still have to place a 2x4 under the foot to avoid putting stress on the floor where the steps are mounted.
I've looked into what it would take to add the OEM fireplace (some people actually remove and resell theirs). The annoyance is that I would have to move the existing CO/propane detector. The only place to move it to is the wall left of the bathroom door, where it is on the units that come with the fireplace. The 12V feed is supposed to be kept independent of the battery shutoff switch, so tapping off the bathroom light switch would be cheating. All in all, I'm just not up to pulling expanses of coroplast to do a lot of invasive rewiring.

I have also found the three-step staircase to be inadequate in many uneven campgrounds. I've needed longer foot extensions many times, though you really need an extra step at the bottom to accompany them. But on level ground, four steps would exceed the space available. Ah well...
Old 08-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #12
mikec557

Quote:

The annoyance is that I would have to move the existing CO/propane detector. The only place to move it to is the wall left of the bathroom door,..
Not to talk you into it, but..

I take it yours is mounted about where the fireplace goes. Could it not be mounted on the angled side where the 1-gallon water jug is in my picture?

What's in your area where the fireplace is in mine? Is it just a flat wall or are there doors with a little storage?

I'm not sure, but I think the back of my fireplace is essentially the back wall of my outdoor kitchen... so probably not much usable storage space.

Signed
Just Curious
Old 08-26-2020, 12:59 AM   #13
LHaven

It's a flat wall, and the CO detector is mounted almost precisely where your water jug is. If I were sure there were enough depth in back of the angled panel to mount the CO detector flat to the panel, that would make the job nearly trivial. I am assuming angling it closer to the furnace intake then it is currently wouldn't have an adverse effect on its operation. I'd have to ask myself why Keystone doesn't put it there already.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:42 AM   #14
Northofu1

Quote:
I've looked into what it would take to add the OEM fireplace (some people actually remove and resell theirs). The annoyance is that I would have to move the existing CO/propane detector. The only place to move it to is the wall left of the bathroom door, where it is on the units that come with the fireplace. The 12V feed is supposed to be kept independent of the battery shutoff switch, so tapping off the bathroom light switch would be cheating. All in all, I'm just not up to pulling expanses of coroplast to do a lot of invasive rewiring.

I have also found the three-step staircase to be inadequate in many uneven campgrounds. I've needed longer foot extensions many times, though you really need an extra step at the bottom to accompany them. But on level ground, four steps would exceed the space available. Ah well...

On my model of trailer, it has the oem 3 step, when researching a new set of steps, Glowstep recommends a four step. Expensive but advantage is it's outside and installs in old step housing.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #15
mikec557

Quote:
I'd have to ask myself why Keystone doesn't put it there already.
Boy oh boy, there's a lot of times I wonder "what was Keystone thinking?"

For instance, this is where they put our sniffer...

It would seem to me that our location has a lesser sniffing ability. But it is what it is.

I am only making suggestions, obviously you have to decide what's best for your family situation.

Edit: a different angle...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1598456997002591877517310045956.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	29418   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200826_101852096.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	29419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200826_101916175.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	29420  
Old 08-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
Northofu1

If they put it in the washroom it might mistake the methane for propane :P

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
MarkEHansen

That's okay. Either one can be lethal It's just that with one, you don't need any help smelling it.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:29 AM   #18
cbmfire

Cougar 26RBS

We bought our 2019 26RBS in Amarillo TX On the way home to NC from a 52 day cross country trip. Ours has 2 ACs with 50 amp. In the summer we put the bedroom AC on fan at night for noise and let the other unit cool the camper. Another advantage of 2 ACs is you can cut rear AC off and let front cool the camper when watching TV. I installed a cord reel in the front pass through for the cord. Works very well. We also have the fireplace which works well on cool mornings. We have had absolutely no issues with the camper and highly recommend this floor plan for couples. I did remove the grill in the outside kitchen because I didn’t want to cook under the awning. Bought another grill, and I just put it on the picnic table to cook. Good luck and safe travels.
cbmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #19
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmfire View Post
I did remove the grill in the outside kitchen because I didn’t want to cook under the awning. Bought another grill, and I just put it on the picnic table to cook.
Outdoor grilling is just not a thing we do, but we haven't removed the grill because it's light and we don't yet have a better use for the space. However, after discovering that the outdoor fridge didn't actually work on propane while on the road (for travel refreshments, the only use to we could think of putting it), we removed it and recovered a very nice cargo space. It came in handy to traffic large quantities of Moxie back home from our trip to New Hampshire, the only place they market it.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
For instance, this is where they put our sniffer...
It would seem to me that our location has a lesser sniffing ability. But it is what it is.
In this floorplan, with the fireplace installed, the only low wall space available is on either side of the bathroom door. Everything else is slide, fusebox, furnace, cabinet, etc. Except for the bedroom, but that's not where you want the detector.

Tags
cougar, travel trailer