Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Ranchhand

One night stay

Next year for spring break the wife and I are going to take the fifth wheel and are two girls that are 9 and 7 to Gatlinburg. We will be starting in southwest Michigan. According to mapquest it is about a 10 hour drive and I am guessing with two little girls it will probably turn into a 11 or 12 hour drive. Not really sure I want to do that drive in one day and show up at the campground at 8 at night. So I was thinking about finding a campground around Lexington Kentucky for a afternoon/evening.

Question 1 Do most campgrounds offer just a one night stay or will they want you to stay more then one night.

Question 2 If I get a pull through site will the sites be big enough to leave the truck hooked up for the night. (Camper is a 38 foot fifth wheel) Not a big deal if I can't it would just save a step in setting up and tearing down.

Question 3 Anyone have any recomendations for a campground around the Lexington area.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #2
LHaven

1. Tell the campground owner you're looking for a transient pull-through for one night. It's an extremely common request, it's part of their business.

2. All depends on what the campground has to offer. Mention the total length of your rig and say you'd like to stay hitched up, so they can decide if they have an open space that fits you.

3. Not my stomping grounds, sorry.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #3
gearhead

A 1 night stay is no problem. We do a lot of that, a lot.
Look at campgroundreviews.com for a campground around Lexington.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Nearly everywhere we go (private rv parks) there are spaces provided for "overnighters". They even give me my "reserved" spots in the parks we go to all the time; generally pull thru. I always tell them the length of the trailer and inquire about remaining space for the truck. Some leave us with lots of room; some leave us parking sideways in front/back to stay out of the road. For overnites I always ask for a pull thru so we can "do our thing" with minimal disruption.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
TandE

We just got back from a two week trip and did this the whole way with a 3 and a 5 year old.

Started in the PNW and was traveling to Colorado Springs for a family reunion. Then up to Mount Rushmore and back. Every stop besides in Colorado and South Dakota which we stayed multiple nights and had reservations we got a pull through so we didn’t have to unhook. I took a chance and didn’t call ahead just showed up and it worked out great. Although most of our stops were in areas where not much is going on in terms of vacation stuff so that helped tremendously that they all had spots. Like what was said most have spots available for one nighters in some areas and depending on the time of year they are so busy they don’t really have spaces available to do that.

I made sure to plan it where we left as early as possible but we’re stopped for the night no later than 3. That way the kids would have some playtime before bed and doing it again.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 AM   #6
Northofu1

If you want to stay on the cheap, as I do.
Cracker barrel restaurants, walmarts, truck stops.
Personally, I have issues paying $40 to $60 to sleep and go, I do like showing up at campground right at check in time rather than 8pm

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
mwemaxxowner

Many Walmart stores are starting to eliminate overnighting. If that's your plan, might be a good idea to go in and ask the store manager, so you don't get run out just as you get nice and cozy.
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 AM   #8
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
Many Walmart stores are starting to eliminate overnighting. If that's your plan, might be a good idea to go in and ask the store manager, so you don't get run out just as you get nice and cozy.
I use Allstays app and make sure review is updated

Old 07-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #9
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
If you want to stay on the cheap, as I do.
Cracker barrel restaurants, walmarts, truck stops.
Personally, I have issues paying $40 to $60 to sleep and go, I do like showing up at campground right at check in time rather than 8pm

I have issues paying that much for a one night stay too but I’d rather my kids run around a campground play area rather than a parking lot. Years ago this is all the wife and I did but now I’ll gladly pay so the kids have something to do and safely.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:33 AM   #10
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
I use Allstays app and make sure review is updated
I haven't heard of that app, I'll check it out!
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 AM   #11
Logan X

I have 4 kids and so it is worth it to me to pay for a campground for overnight stays. Like others mentioned, it is good to let the kids run around and swim etc.

I also use the Allstays RV and Camping app. It is a good resource to find any type of camping. It is worth the money to get the version that you pay for and not just the free app.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
Ranchhand

The wife and I talked about staying at a Walmart but she was not real fond of the idea and I kind of agree that I would rather have the kids running around a campground then a Walmart parking lot. I don’t really want to pay 40 or 50 bucks for a one night stay either but it is a vacation for the family so if it cost a extra 50 bucks then I am not to worried about it. I did tell the wife that when it comes to the trip home that plan on doing it in one day. Probably by the time we head back I will just want to get home and will not be spending the night in between.
Ranchhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

I certainly agree that a WalMart parking lot is not the environment I'd want my kids or grandkids "running around to blow off steam" after being cooped up in the back seat for most of the day. For me, almost any campground would be better than turning them loose to "play in traffic"....

That said, you might do some research for community sponsored, county run campgrounds along your route. Usually they have minimal camping hookups (if any at all) but almost always are in a city park or a county park complete with play grounds and facilities for children. I'm thinking along the lines of all the "tourist park" facilities in the UP and in many LP communities. While some cost as much as private campgrounds, many are only $10 or $15 a night, close to town (shopping, dining) and have things for kids to do without playing in traffic.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about other parts of the country but throughout our part of the country literally every city has "free" RV accommodations, usually within a city park. One I used to stay at was just off a highway coming into the town - just pull in and hook up (all I'm aware of had water and electric - no charge). I'm not sure how you find out about those as I've never seen them advertised. If you had a specific spot you wanted to land you might call the chamber of commerce.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
I have issues paying that much for a one night stay too but I’d rather my kids run around a campground play area rather than a parking lot. Years ago this is all the wife and I did but now I’ll gladly pay so the kids have something to do and safely.
If I had kids with me and wanted to stop driving at 3pm, campsite is totally worth it. If I left home after work and drove for 6 or 7 hours, no kids are playing anywhere.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #16
travelin texans

We've never camped at Walmart, but my wife's cheap a## brother in law does it from East Texas to Cheyenne Wyoming every night going to the rodeo every year, funny thing is it probably cost more than a RV park time her sister goes into the store, guaranteed she'll spend $50+ every time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
LHaven

Quote:
Personally, I have issues paying $40 to $60 to sleep and go
Ouch, yes. You can often find much better bargains at non-commercial (state, county, etc.) parks, provided you can get there on time, score a vacancy, and skip sewer connections for one night.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 AM   #18
notanlines

Kevin, we've stayed here twice. Easy off-easy on from I-75. They have what you need.
https://www.whisperinghillsrv.com/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #19
Hblick48

We've stayed at many Walmarts during two coast to coast trips. Never had a problem, but it's just the two of us, retired. Biggest issue is watching out for traffic when exiting the rig to walk the dog. One of us always go inside to check with manager before settling in. We have a generator, solar, and inverter so we can "glamp" with satellite tv wherever we are.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:22 PM   #20
pdegelow

Your first 2 questions seem to have been answered. So, this is directed to your last question. I would highly recommend the Kentucky Horse Park Campground. It is a beautiful campground with nice, large sites & lots of shade. You may like it so well you'll want to stay more than one night. It has easy access from I75.
pdegelow is offline   Reply With Quote