Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #41
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
In Arizona you're more likely to get caught in a dust storm than a rain storm. They have signs everywhere to pull off as far as possible, turn OFF your lights & take your foot OFF of the brake. Always thought those instructions strange, but talked to a trooper & the reasoning makes sense, we have tendacy to drive towards the lights thinking they're on the road!!!
Thanks I never thought of that.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

Where I live there used to be many accidents where trucks on the shoulder would get run into by other trucks. I'm talking I95 north of Baltimore where the lanes reduce, the road gets dark, and traffic starts thinning out. They posted a bunch of no parking or stopping signs along that area and added lighting. The truck accidents were greatly reduced. Seems that the truckers would pull over from fatigue or to do paperwork, look at a map whatever and set there with the lights on and often flashers as well. Another trucerk would come up, fatigued, letting their guard down and relaxing as traffic eases and the road gets dark and sees the lights and without thinking try to follow the stationary tail lights. I'll use my flashers if I am going MUCH slower than traffic and for some reason I can't pull over. If traffic is stopped ahead I'll use the flashers until the guy behind me realizes what's happening and slows down. If I'm running close to the same speed as everyone else then there isn't a need for them. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #43
Irv gates

Now thats a good topic. No lights ! I see a lot of people that drive in low light situations that dont have lights on or should. If you want to be seen in low light conditions ,turn on your lights. If you dont... park it. Be asafe driver.. Lets us see you!, and all of us will be safer. Save travels..
Irv gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #44
Laredo240MK2015

Many countries have it in law that the headlights and taillights have to be on all the time. I never understood why we do not have this in the US. You wouldn’t need a light switch, if the car is in motion the lights are on, very simple.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:06 AM   #45
KJJ

No emergency flashers, PLEASE! I'm from Michigan, here you use your flasher's when you are going far slower than everyone else or you are off on the shoulder for some reason. Last month we traveled to the east coast and ran into some rain on an Interstate. Medium to heavy, not torrential, wipers rarely on high, no problem seeing other cars, but half the people put on their emergency flashers! I asked my wife "Are they trying to let us know it's raining?" It seemed to me that it was a dangerous distraction, especially since you couldn't pick out turn signals from those changing lanes, doofuses...
KJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #46
Topglock

It’s hard to enforce the no lights on problem when the police are just as guilty. In my area here in Michigan I really think people have no idea where the turn single or headlight switches are located.

While I’m pulling our TT I always turn my headlights on no matter the conditions.
Topglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #47
Wilco

Maximum speed on a highway is also dependent on the driving conditions. If you have limited visibility due to rain, you should slow down. The amount you slow down is based on your judgement. If you are driving significantly slower that the flow of traffic, you should have your flashers on to warn the vehicles overtaking you.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:09 AM   #48
geeman

If it is that bad you must have flashers.... GET OFF THE ROAD!!

YOU ARE A HAZARD TO EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD.

Do not continue to drive anywhere with your Hazards on.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #49
Wilco

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
If it is that bad you must have flashers.... GET OFF THE ROAD!!

YOU ARE A HAZARD TO EVERYONE ELSE ON THE ROAD.

Do not continue to drive anywhere with your Hazards on.
So you would continue to drive 70 mph in a driving rain with limited visibility. Who is the hazard in this case?

Turning on your flashers prevents drivers like you from tail ending me.
2015 Catalina 33RETS
Wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #50
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilco View Post
So you would continue to drive 70 mph in a driving rain with limited visibility. Who is the hazard in this case?

Turning on your flashers prevents drivers like you from tail ending me.
I'll second that, absolutely.
@geeman
You say Get off the road in driving rain that you can't see in? What if you're on the interstate and the nearest exit is 10 miles away? What do you suggest people do in that situation? Pull into the breakdown lane? Then what? Put the flashers on or just wait till someone like you tail ends us doing 70?
The technical name for flashers is hazard lights. If I have to drive significantly below the speed limit because of the weather, I'm a hazard and I'm going to put my hazard lights on whether other drivers disapprove of it or not.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #51
66joej

^ What Scott said. They are also required for slow moving vehicles in BC. I believe the threshold is 45kph.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:18 PM   #52
68GS400

“Ok timer”

Make sure they see you! Turn on lights whenever reduced visibility. Don’t rely on daylight running lights!
It is law in Georgia (but since so many get license without a class, most do not know!)

Regarding four way flasher use, it is really dangerous to do that. They are intended for use on shoulder of road, not travel lanes. Someone might swerve into adjacent lane thinking you are stopped on shoulder. DONT USE THEM WHILE ROLLING! Maybe when coming up on accident or slowed traffic to warn others.
68GS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:58 PM   #53
hornet28

Do we have a bunch of flatlanders here and you never come up on a semi struggling up a grade with flashers on? They are also used to warn others of a slow moving vehicle.
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #54
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Do we have a bunch of flatlanders here and you never come up on a semi struggling up a grade with flashers on? They are also used to warn others of a slow moving vehicle.
Funny. I was taught and “rule of thumb” for WY, MT, UT, ID, WA, etc. where I have driven/ lived is that if the semi’s have their flashers on going up a grade, they are going less than 45 mph. Of course, same applies for grades like Homestake pass in MT, where semi’s have a lower speed limit for going down the hill. Last week, most of them had their flashers on for the downgrade also, their speed limit was 25 mph, I believe. And, for me at least, the mountains are an expected place to see semi’s going slow, with or without flashers.

But, I also agree with not turning on the flashers in the rain. It’s already harder to see in the rain, why make it even worse for others with flashing lights along with those who won’t dim their brights? Or are towing a trailer with the front of their truck pointed to the sky so it looks like they have their brights on...

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:12 PM   #55
captcolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I'll use my flashers if I am going MUCH slower than traffic and for some reason I can't pull over. If traffic is stopped ahead I'll use the flashers until the guy behind me realizes what's happening and slows down. If I'm running close to the same speed as everyone else then there isn't a need for them. YMMV
I agree 100%.
captcolour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:36 PM   #56
hornet28

vampress_me I was referring to comments against using flashers unless off to the side of the road disabled
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:53 AM   #57
TyeKane

Flashers

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Flying Around" happened to mention in another thread that in heavy rain he turned on the emergency flashers and continued at 35 or slower. This is a practice that I find exceedingly irritating. I might also add it happens to illegal in 30 of 50 states, however rare it would be to see someone ticketed for such offense.
I find that it is difficult enough to drive in the rain without being behind a vehicle with bright flashers in my eyes. And even more so at night. Might it be more prudent to take the next exit and wait out the storm?
Yes, I realize we aren't going to change anyone's habits in this thread.
What say you?

Flying Around, being Aussie you're probably thick-skinned enough to know that I'm just picking on you at random....
In Canada if you are traveling slower than 20 kms (12 mph) below the posted speed limit you are required by law to turn on your hazard lights as you are now a slow moving hazard.
TyeKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:27 AM   #58
notanlines

The, we have a good conversation going, both pro and con, but no reason to come up with “It’s a law in Canada.” I could only find one recommendation, in Ontario, and not a law. And PEI was just the opposite.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote