Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #1
notanlines

Emergency Flashers in Rain?

"Flying Around" happened to mention in another thread that in heavy rain he turned on the emergency flashers and continued at 35 or slower. This is a practice that I find exceedingly irritating. I might also add it happens to illegal in 30 of 50 states, however rare it would be to see someone ticketed for such offense.
I find that it is difficult enough to drive in the rain without being behind a vehicle with bright flashers in my eyes. And even more so at night. Might it be more prudent to take the next exit and wait out the storm?
Yes, I realize we aren't going to change anyone's habits in this thread.
What say you?

Flying Around, being Aussie you're probably thick-skinned enough to know that I'm just picking on you at random....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
jsmith948

I agree - hard enough for these old eyes to see at night/in the rain (a rare occurrence 'round these parts) without additional glare. I really love it when CalTrans or CHP use all of their bright lights in construction zones or at an accident scene - raining or not. Hard to maneuver through the hazard while being blinded.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
rhagfo

NoTanLines, I see you are from Memphis,you understand what HEAVY RAIN is, that is in thunder storms when the rain is so hard it is like a fire-hose on the windshield. When I have seen this most try to get off the road ASAP.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
"Flying Around" happened to mention in another thread that in heavy rain he turned on the emergency flashers and continued at 35 or slower. This is a practice that I find exceedingly irritating. I might also add it happens to illegal in 30 of 50 states, however rare it would be to see someone ticketed for such offense.
I find that it is difficult enough to drive in the rain without being behind a vehicle with bright flashers in my eyes. And even more so at night. Might it be more prudent to take the next exit and wait out the storm?
Yes, I realize we aren't going to change anyone's habits in this thread.
What say you?

Flying Around, being Aussie you're probably thick-skinned enough to know that I'm just picking on you at random....
Jim, what's the odds of Flying Around hitting the other registered vehicle on that big continent? Here in the Mid Atlantic region we can get just about all kinds of weather. What really irritates me is when those storms open up especially with hail and every bridge overpass becomes an apocalyptic style parking lot.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:12 AM   #5
travelin texans

Also irritating is a daytime rain & they don't turn their lights on, suddenly your up on someone you couldn't see. If you need to turn on your wipers then also turn your lights on!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I am irritated all the time... just can't remember why! Must be because I am old and grouchy; at least, that is the wife's theory.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

"Also irritating is a daytime rain & they don't turn their lights on, suddenly your up on someone you couldn't see. If you need to turn on your wipers then also turn your lights on!!! "

I suppose this is one of my greatest peeves. Anymore I feel like about 50-60% of the people driving shouldn't have a drivers license. Seems to me one of the simplest things to remember is that you HAVE to be seen if you are traveling the highways and byways....ask any biker. So many think that if they can barely see they're good to go without any kind of lighting. Watching crazy people drive at twilight (morning or evening), in heavy fog, rain, snow etc. without lights is extremely irritating....and amazing to me (the ignorance).

"What really irritates me is when those storms open up especially with hail and every bridge overpass becomes an apocalyptic style parking lot."

We don't get a lot of rain here but we travel to places that do a lot. I have seen people stop under bridges in heavy downpours but never stopped....except once; and won't again. We ran into a rain storm that turned into light hail; couldn't see 10 yards in front of you. Traffic on the interstate was running about 20mph except for the wackos flying by at 70+. As the hail picked up I thought I would stop at an overpass. One person was there pulled way off the pavement and over where the overpass began to come down. I pulled completely off the pavement to the side to get away from anyone possibly running down the shoulder. In about 5 minutes cars began to stack up under the overpass....probably 10-12. As the cars kept stacking in some of those with lower mental capabilities started turning on flashers and PARKING IN THE RIGHT LANE!! I was in disbelief! Some of the passing vehicles were flying through in the left lane. I watched in amazement for about 2 minutes and told my wife we were getting out of there. My only concern if out from under the bridge was hail damage; sitting under it we would probably die, so I left. We took off and suffered no damage but to this day what happened there is still unbelievable and how no one was killed is a miracle.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If you need to turn on your wipers then also turn your lights on!!!
I think it is state specific, but that is the law in NY.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #9
Racebug

the lack of head lights blows my mind. I also get overly irritated at these vehicles with daytime running lights that don't have tail lights on. Should be law.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:18 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

"If you need to turn on your wipers then also turn your lights on!!! "

I think some (all?) of the newer vehicles do this automatically? When I turn my truck wipers on my lights come on automatically (when it is set to auto).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:44 AM   #11
B-O-B'03

We were coming home this past Friday, from our camping trip to Colorado, driving down I35 in Denton TX through a construction zone, in the pouring rain... signs saying "Left Lane Closed Ahead" I was in the middle lane and an 18 wheeler blows by in the left lane... just about plows through the cop car that is directing everyone to take the next exit

A little later we had made it to the Bush turnpike, it was raining even harder and the trucks are blowing along at 70, dousing every car they pass with a blinding amount of spray

I realize that time is money for them, but geez, please drive appropriate for the current conditions

Your need to make money should not supersede my need to get home with the DW and new puppy in one piece.

-Brian
Old 09-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #12
xrated

I read a few weeks ago in a thread on this same topic about a guy who's answer to being behind someone who is running flashers, is to turn his high beams on and off at the same rate that their flashers are flashing.......kind of like, "Get ya some of that".
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
I think it is state specific, but that is the law in NY.
Should be in the state of "common sense", which there is a severe lack of today.
Wow! Now I'm sounding like a grouchy old man!
I was following a coworker in a heavy rain, called to tell him to turn on his lights & he said "they come on every time I start the truck" & I said "yep the driving lights not the taillights & I can't see you til you touch the brakes", he thought all the lights came on every time the truck started.
Replacement undetermined
Old 09-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #14
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I am irritated all the time... just can't remember why! Must be because I am old and grouchy; at least, that is the wife's theory.
I was born irritated and had a relapse.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Joppa is right up off I95 isn't it? Above Balamerr? I95 is a stretch of road with NO mercy. At least it has construction every few miles to keep speeds under 100 mph! I lived in first College Pk then Riverdale when I was a fed. Thank goodness I live in the sticks now in rural TX. Here, the worst driving habit is that if a road is clear for 10 miles in either way, an ol' boy will pull out of a side road or driveway right in front of you and then go 35 mph till he notices you (about 5 miles down the road) and then will drive on the shoulder to let you go by. You wave thanks and he ways back through his windshield.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 PM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"If you need to turn on your wipers then also turn your lights on!!! "

I think some (all?) of the newer vehicles do this automatically? When I turn my truck wipers on my lights come on automatically (when it is set to auto).
Fancy truck...

I got no AUTO light switch
Old 09-25-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Joppa is right up off I95 isn't it? Above Balamerr? I95 is a stretch of road with NO mercy. At least it has construction every few miles to keep speeds under 100 mph! I lived in first College Pk then Riverdale when I was a fed. Thank goodness I live in the sticks now in rural TX. Here, the worst driving habit is that if a road is clear for 10 miles in either way, an ol' boy will pull out of a side road or driveway right in front of you and then go 35 mph till he notices you (about 5 miles down the road) and then will drive on the shoulder to let you go by. You wave thanks and he ways back through his windshield.
Yup, I 95 on one side and the Gunpowder River/Chesapeake Bay on the other. Doesn't leave many alternate road options if someone sneezes and backs up traffic. As for construction, I 95, 695 (Balt Beltway) and 495 (Capital Beltway) were all obsolete the day they opened. We used to frequent College Park Airpark when the 84th Aero Squadron restaurant was there. So are closer to Medina Lake or San Antonio?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
wiredgeorge

I live right off Medina Lake. About 3 miles from the dam which was the 4th largest in the US when built. The lake is now 66 percent full, up 20 percent from just one month ago.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:27 PM   #19
Pull Toy

Come on GUYs and GALs... common senses says "BE VISIBLE" or suffer the consequences... and disabilities... and liabilities. Whether you have "AUTO" this or that , it is your best interest to "BE SEEN" or get off of the road ASAP, and still be seen!

Good Luck,

p.s. If you can't see the line stripes, pull over as far over as you can, and stay LIT 'till it passes over! MARK TWAIN said "If you don't like the weather in CONNECTICUT... wait a minute!" It's not just here...

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #20
travelin texans

In Arizona you're more likely to get caught in a dust storm than a rain storm. They have signs everywhere to pull off as far as possible, turn OFF your lights & take your foot OFF of the brake. Always thought those instructions strange, but talked to a trooper & the reasoning makes sense, we have tendacy to drive towards the lights thinking they're on the road!!!
Replacement undetermined