Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Blackstone Griddle

OK, I've read the posts and thoughts that members have had on the Blackstone Griddles. Javi got one and said it will be his go to grill. So....

I have spent weeks trying to find a source to get a 22" griddle to take camping. Everything said it would take 1- 3 months to get. I sent a message to Blackstone asking what the deal was...no answer as of yet (sent Friday so understandable). I've seen the "tabletop" model on the web but no way to get it etc. Guess what???

Today I went to Walmart in Big Spring TX. As we pulled in DW showed me the 36" Blackstone with stand outside the garden area. I said we needed to check them out but I had JUST looked on their site to see if they carried the 22" and...no. Made our rounds looking it over (had not been to the Big Spring store in many years). Walked thru the garden area and saw all their grills but not a Blackstone....and then, on the corner of a tall shelving unit I saw "Blackstone 22" tabletop griddle"! What? Impossible! Long story short; loaded it in the cart and checked out....$147; higher than Amazon ($137) so was concerned. Looked and this on has the cover and adjustable stand...for $10 more than Amazon. I'm good with that.

Now, I've assembled it. It is much heavier (with stand) than I thought but not a big deal. I will season it; I'm thinking oiling it and putting it in my big outdoor grill and running thru the oiling cycles. I'm going to order the tools for the griddle from Amazon; spatulas, steaming lid etc. I'm thinking of the covers and carrying bag from Amazon as well. It needs to go in the truck for long hauls, and stay at home, without being covered in dirt etc. We live in a VERY dusty environment and I always buy anything available to prevent that.

What, can those that have this unit, or others like it suggest that I need to get, or do? DW is not happy. I bought this and she thought it was a "grill". I told her no, this is for one phase of my cooking....the Weber will be here shortly...after I gave the Coleman Nextrip away this spring I cooked a roast and some other specialties this evening to hopefully make peace...

Any thoughts are appreciated...and, grill away!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Retired Copper

Danny the one I use; out by the DW`s Pool, I find that the best thing I use the most is a 4 inch putty knife with a wooded handle to scape off the stuff left behind. The other thing is a metal coffee can with a "S" hook to place at the drain in the v channel to catch grease and the water I use to steam the stuff off. I can`t keep a grill out by the pool, the last three bought found their way next door to daughters house. They where going to get me another one for father`s day and I told them not too because it would walk off too. I cook all my stuff on the blackstone. Hey you can do a killer breakfast camping.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks! I love a big breakfast myself and had just gotten into the mode of trying to find a restaurant. I had always cooked and want to get back in that mode - the griddle looked like a great way to kind of "doing what I love".
Old 07-08-2018, 04:08 AM   #4
the sodfather

I’ve got a 22” Blackstone and love it. Mine came with a cover. I bought a 4.25 lb. lp bottle and a splitter to feed grill and Blackstone. I have a small folding table that I set it on that also provides a prep area. It’s a cooking machine. Breakfast is done on it (toast, eggs, bacon, potatoes, sausage, etc.). We’ve cooked burgers, Philly cheesesteak, hot dogs, seared steaks, man the list goes on. You will love it.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
ptooti

you will not regret it ! they are da bomb! and you can cook healthy on it if you want to nice to have that option stir fry's etc check out blackstone ir griddle recipes on youtube

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Well, I "broke in" the griddle this evening. I worked on seasoning the grill for a while. Took an hour or so to keep oiling it and cooking it down. I've had various iterations of grills that had "griddles" so you could think you were doing "griddle stuff"....my Coleman Nextrip was one. NO WAY. Just finished the seasoning of the grill about an hour or so ago. Ran a batch of 6 strips of bacon over it to help the seasoning.. EXCELLENT! Then, threw a batch of bell peppers and onions on the griddle to further season it. Well, it was fantastic and the grill looks great.

If you have this griddle, you know how great it is...if you don't....get it "just because".
Old 07-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Retired Copper

You are going to like it and will find yourself cooking almost everything on it. Hey you might even be the next great Hibachi chef.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
ptooti

Blackstone Grill = Happy Campers

glad you are happy with it I tell everyone about my grill and they probably think I'm over zealous about it but seeing is believing!

Current : 2018 Passport Elite 19RB
Past 2015 R-Pod 179
6,000 Equalizer WDH
2009 F150 Lariat 5.4l
ptooti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Javi

Adapter to quick connect http://propanegear.com/blackstone-17...nnect-adapter/
Old 07-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I just have to opine about the Blackstone for a bit:

In my later "camping" days I viewed a "griddle" as something for pancakes, maybe bacon or that sort of thing. Didn't have any interest. I used camp stoves, gas grills/charcoal grills etc. Then found induction cookers and have a couple of those.

You know what I forgot? When I was a kid my mom ran a very popular restaurant. I was the "little kid" that came to work with mom and sat in the back at the little table for black folks (who knows what the PC correct term is anymore - but I lived it and know how it worked). Jelly, was the black cook and he and I were fast friends (I was about 6-8 or 9). When I was there he basically took care of me because mom was very busy, and many times very busy with Smirnoff vodka. He watched over me and fed me anything I asked for...all from a flattop. He made a wonderful, perfect breakfast; I didn't know OE eggs from OM from anything else. He would cook them and ask what it was I liked....I liked OE. He made them perfectly...every time. Off the same flattop he made me the most heavenly burgers I've ever eaten...and I love burgers - because of him, and now I think the best burger I can find is going to be the "greasy spoon café" burger. Sonic/Mcdonalds...take a hike.

A long tale to say that the Blackstone has opened a window for me that I didn't even know I wanted open. It can make all kinds of stuff and I don't have to worry about cleaning up inside...and it is FAST! At this point I really don't know what all I can use it for, or the recipes I can cook up, but from my little bit of experience with it I think it is possible to cook up stuff you just don't think about with a stove or BBQ grill. I would highly recommend the grill for anyone interested in all the things that sort of cooking tool can do for you....I'm just thrilled with mine. JMO
Old 07-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

When I was assigned to Lowry AFB, I needed a part time job to help pay the bills, so on the nights I wasn't taking college courses, I worked at a greasy spoon. Anyone who is familiar with Denver in the 70's and 80's has heard of Rockybilt Hamburgers. That was my "part time job". I "mashed burgers on the grill" most nights until 2AM at the Rockybilt on North Federal.

In support of sourdough's statement that greasy spoon burgers beat Sonic/McD's, I completely agree. If a burger doesn't need a chocolate shake to "kill the grease", then it's just not a "burger"...... Cooked on a flat top grill is the only way to get the "sear just right and still have the grease"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
LuvsPalmTrees

My DH use to cook in a greasy spoon. He loved it. He found the Blackstone grill and purchased it and the utensils (that was my Mother's Day gift). I bought him the cover and bag for it from Amazon and now he needs the steam cover. He loves to cook and this is the easiest to clean. It goes on all camping trips and he keeps it in the garage (aka Man Cave) and cooks on it all the time. I don't think I will need my Coleman camping stove any longer.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #13
spade117

I bought the 17" previous to our last trip. Loved it. Eggs, bacon, sausage, burgers, hot dogs, mushrooms were all cooked on it and all came out delicious. My sister and BIL got me the utensil package the other day. Now, I just need to get the carrying case/cover.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
Number 4

I'm somewhat of a retro nerd (kinda wish I still had that '67 Shasta) so I use a griddle plate on the 2-burner Coleman stove I bought at a garage sale for 5 bucks. If I want to heat up some beans then it's the 3-burner Coleman white gas pumper I bought at a different garage sale for 10 bucks. I will admit it was a challenge sopping up the never-ending flow of bacon grease last time out. Seems like I ran through half a roll of paper towels. Those Blackstone griddles are pretty slick!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

I've had my 22" for about 10 days now. I've cooked on it A LOT and love it. I haven't fried eggs on it yet. Unfortunately, the top warped just a bit after it was seasoned and used 3-4 times so the oil wouldn't stay on the top very well; not terrible but it ran off. I will say, if you have one and don't have the little bottles in the accessory kit, or something like it, get one. Makes ALL the difference in applying the right amount of oil and getting it to stay in the right spot. Trying to pour from a bottle, even a small one wasn't the best deal.

Blackstone has said they are sending me a new top so maybe I'll have better luck with the next one. Even if I didn't get a new top the thing is great to cook on and opens new vistas for cooking food if you just want to get creative.

For the poster that was looking for the carrying bag. I don't know which griddle you have but for us, there was no bag for the 22" so bought the one for the 28". I am not impressed by it - seems pretty cheap. I am going to use it however because you have to have it enclosed in something in W TX or that oily cooktop will be covered in sand constantly. And, the accessory kit (spatulas, chopper, plastic bottles etc.) is excellent. And, I still use lots of paper towels
Old 07-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #16
stolly23

I bought the big blackstone three years ago. Cook all meals on it in the summer. Have camped with a coleman road trip classic since '03 with the half grate half griddle cook top. Have been thinking about getting the full griddle top instead for it when I found the 17" blackstone at wallyworld for $74. I am so excited to get to use it camping and even more excited to not have to clean the coleman anymore. The cooktop on the 17" is much bigger than I expected. Went to amazon and got the cover and carrying bag for $23.
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #17
Jeepshots

I own two of these griddles - the 36" that stays at the house, and the 28" that is a permanent part of the camper. I took out the outdoor kitchen slide (with the dinky sink and 2 burner warming station), and the 28" fits in there nicely. I plumbed it with a 10' quick-disconnect hose, and it attaches to the same point the 2-burner hooked up to. You can cook dang near anything on it. Clean-up is easy, and it keeps the heat out of the camper.
Sourdough, what you might be after, burger-wise, is the smash burger. It's those thin-pattied burgers you get from the diners that are fantastic. Throw a ball of burger onto the hot griddle, and smash it down with your spatula, getting it down to 1/4" or so. Let it sizzle for about 2 minutes, then forcefully scrape it up, making sure to get all the crispy bits off the griddle, and flip it over. Get it off the griddle within the minute and serve it up. Great crunchy sear holds in all the juices. Very flavorful with just a mild salt/pepper dusting for season.
For those that don't know, there are several facebook groups dedicated to these griddles, and you can find great recipes digging thru them. My go-to meal is Philly Cheesesteaks, but have been known to do the hibachi thing as well. Burgers are smashed and flavorful. Can do omelettes like the pros without much work. I liked ours so much that I got rid of my gas grill.
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:12 PM   #18
donsantell

Ok you sold me. I looked all over. On line hardware store Home Depot etc. there was one on eBay, $229. Went to Walmart they had 4 but it included cover, adjustable stand, adapter hose to hook up 20lb tank. Only negative the front is black rather than SS. Also has a grease catcher. I’m seasoning it now. Thanks for all the info.
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #19
donsantell

Blackstone 22

Oh I forgot. $145.
donsantell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsantell View Post
Ok you sold me. I looked all over. On line hardware store Home Depot etc. there was one on eBay, $229. Went to Walmart they had 4 but it included cover, adjustable stand, adapter hose to hook up 20lb tank. Only negative the front is black rather than SS. Also has a grease catcher. I’m seasoning it now. Thanks for all the info.

You got the same thing I did. I couldn't find anything anywhere except online and they were saying about 3 months to get it. Walked into a Walmart in a town about 45 miles from me never thinking of the Blackstone or them having one. I was looking for yard stuff and there, right on the shelf, were 2 of the 22" griddles! Who knew?

I seasoned mine and after about the 3rd/4th use it developed a slight warp - not bad and I still use it all the time but grease will run to the sides. Called Blackstone, sent pics and an explanation (just put the edge of a square from the outside toward the center to show the rise) and my new griddle will be here Thursday; great people and great customer service. Now I'll have to find a use for the spare, slightly warped, griddle.

The stand is very handy and sturdy. Beats trying to find a table. The shelf goes on and off easily. Comes in handy when cooking. For traveling I am going to remove the lid when I put it in the truck. In my part of the country it has to be covered to keep tons of sand out of it so bought a full length grill cover for a 30" regular BBQ and it fits perfectly. Got the Blackstone accessory kit; spatulas, scraper, squirt bottles (you need those). Made a steaming cover by buying an aluminum baking pan 12x8, drilling a couple of holes in the top and attaching polymer knobs to it. Also have the Blackstone steaming lid coming Thursday I believe. For traveling I have ordered the cover for the 22" grill (just covers the top of the griddle to use while camping)- it does appear it will take a month to 6 weeks to get. Got the carrying case for the 28" Blackstone; won't fit with the lid on but will work without it (to carry in the truck). I didn't know if I'd like it but read so many good things about it....now I cook on it all the time. And, forget the bacon in a skillet; turn on the griddle, throw on the bacon and by the time they would start sizzling in a skillet they're done on the griddle (or just about). Congrats, I bet you're going to like it.