Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
V2wings

Ram question

I have 2005 ram 2500 diesel and when I am driving at around at about 40 mph the frontend sort of floats to the left or right but dosn't
Death wobble. This showed up after I had the frontend rebuilt.The only part that I know of that wasn't replaced was the shock that goes across the frontend of the suspension. Any ideas what it is?
V2wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
66joej

I think that would be your steering damper. Try replacing it should help.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #3
Harleydodge

I know this may sound obvious, but you say the issue showed up "after you had it rebuilt" so I am assuming you had it done at a professional shop of some sort?
Did you take it back to them and explain your problem?
From your description it could be anything from worn tires improper alignment or...?

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
Cbrez

It may be the toe-in is out of adjustment if it is just wandering left and right. Easy to check. Measure the distance between the front sidewalls of the front tires, then measure the distance between the rear sidewalls of the front tires. The front dimension should be slightly less than the rear dimension.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #5
V2wings

I had it done by a professional and he also aligned it. I took it back to him and he's checking it out. He drove it and can feel the problem going to do a close inspection in the morning.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Your tech didn't dial in the front end right. "Rebuilt" can mean a lot of things but whatever it is, he apparently didn't get it right. "Professional"? That also means a lot of things. I had a "professional" at Big O tires in Alamogordo, NM align my front end - said it was ready to go. When I drove off I had to take both arms and pull it to the left to keep it from hitting the curb. Took it back and he said, "I just thought it was the slope of road making it pull"??? 2 more tries and he was clueless. I told the management, refused another try, and told them to keep the money and give it to the poor soul that tried to align my truck - he should be out of a job and would need it for some food. - Brought it home to my regular guy and....voila! it was fixed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #7
gkainz

i upgraded my '07 2500 with the 3500 front end parts; tie rods, drag link, etc after my death wobble incident. I had the DSS Steering stabilizer on my '97, and am probably going to put one on the '07. Adds a more secure feeling to the front end.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #8
SAABDOCTOR

HI WHAT WAS REALLY DONE? Repair is far different than rebuilt. Replacing shocks and a tie rod isn't rebuilt!.To me rebulit means ball joints tie rod ends inner and outer. New shocks and bushings on the control arms and a front end alignment. Quality of parts. oem? moog or wholesale store china junk? Were the ball joints pressed in or pounded in with a "BFH". If they were pounded in it is possible to have tweeked the end of the axle tube on 4wd. Don't anyone dare say it can't happen I have seen it. If they replaced the bushings did they place the arms in the ride height position before torquing the bolts? If the guy that did the work can't figure out what is wrong take it to an other alignment shop and ask fore the readings. modern alignment equipment are capable of prints a report of what you have vs what it should be. If The castor or camber is off, Moog sells a upper ball joint that is adjustable to bring the front end back into spec. It is a bit of a "PITA" to adjust but they do work I put these on my truck.If as you say there was no hunting issue before the work the steering stabilizer shock should still be good. It is easy to check. Please let us know what you find out.Yes i do a ton of SAAB work but I also repair many other makes. Good luck
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

sourdough That slope in the road... must have been a cliff!! yikes.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #10
V2wings

Today he found that the tie rod end that he put on was defective and he replaced it. I also told him to change the steering dampener.
He also found a leak in the gear box.put some Lucas stop leak in it. I hope those changes help. I appreciate all the help and will keep everyone updated.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #11
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2wings View Post
He also found a leak in the gear box.put some Lucas stop leak in it. .

It is a known problem that some reservoir caps (the one with the dipstick) are defective and do not vent pressure created by the expansion/retraction of heated/cooled fluid. This causes the system to hold pressure after the engine is shut down and the seals tend to give up and let the pressure out.

If you shut your engine down and wait a few minutes, then take the cap off and hear it release pressure, your cap is bad. If it does, check out this link
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...0/#post2060360

I repaired mine 10 years ago and it stopped leaking sand hasn't leaked since.