Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 07:22 AM   #21
LFord

Quote: "Edit: looks like this pickup might be "out" because of the 2.7L Ecoboost engine?"

By no means. I would not hesitate to tow that Outback of yours or my ML199 with that 2018 2.7 EB, assuming the proper tow package and WDH is installed. Anyone who says otherwise "knows not whereof they speak!"
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 AM   #22
LFord

Quote: " It's important, at least to me, to caution Jack65 to do his research before spending his money. ... It is, in my opinion, very important that Jack65 do his "due diligence" with that truck BEFORE he buys it."

Which is exactly why I suggested he get the VIN for the Truck and call Ford Motor Co. customer service and verify the installed tow package (which can be identified from the VIN) and verify the towing capability. (Which you seem to ignore.)

At least now you seem to recognize that truck will likely not be limited to that 5,000 lb. figure you tossed-out and which I was questioning. (Which apparently was not based on any "research" at all.)
LFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFord View Post
...At least now you seem to recognize that truck will likely not be limited to that 5,000 lb. figure you tossed-out and which I was questioning. (Which apparently was not based on any "research" at all.)
The 5000 pound comments come directly from the Dealer's website where he is describing that SPECIFIC truck. Maybe my "research" was to actually read what the dealer wrote about the truck (by vin and by picture). So, it's not worth arguing with you on the internet about something someone else must decide. You have your opinion, I have mine. On this one, we need to agree to disagree. Have a super great, absolutely wunnerful day......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:38 AM   #24
vampress_me

Quote:
You can call Ford Motor Company customer service, give them the VIN on that truck, and they can confirm the factory tow package that is installed and give you an exact towing capability figure.
Or, he can also just check the sticker on the drivers door post when they are there tomorrow?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #25
jack65

Quote:
That should do it! It's basically a 2018 version of my 2013 F-150, except that one has the 2.7 liter ecoboost engine, and mine has the 3.5L EB. You can call Ford Motor Company customer service, give them the VIN on that truck, and they can confirm the factory tow package that is installed and give you an exact towing capability figure. Probably in the 7500 to 8000 lb. range at least. You want the tow vehicle to have some towing "headroom" over and above what the trailer will be grossed-out at. That truck should give you close to 2,000 lb. margin over the trailer GVW rating, and that is a comfortable margin, especially if you're going to be towing it up and down mountains!
So if I was to call with this info below, I'd get the true towing info I'm after? Wife will have to call tomorrow as I'm extremely hard of hearing and can't hear phones.

VIN:1FTEX1CP4JKC85307
Engine:Twin Turbo Regular Unleaded V-6 2.7 L/164
Body Type:Extended Cab Pickup
Transmission:10-Speed Automatic w/OD
ELECTRONIC LOCKING W/3.73 AXLE RATIO

Or would looking at the sticker on the drivers door post tell me?
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #26
travelin texans

You could/should check some other manufacturers vehicles also, believe me Ford is NOT the only vehicle capable (although you couldn't tell it reading here) of towing rvs.
Not trying to start truck wars, but I personally have driven enough Ford's (30+ years worth) to not be a fan.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #27
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
Or would looking at the sticker on the drivers door post tell me?
Yes, looking at the sticker on the door post will give you the true capability of the truck, per the manufacturer. And, if you do this and don’t mind passing on the info, let us know what it says please. My guess, based off the dealers ad for this truck, is that it is limited to 5000lbs tow capacity being it is a 2.7L eco boost. But, inquiring minds here would like to know the truck truth also.

If it’s anything like the stickers on our F-350, you should see one number that says “The combined weight of occupants and cargo should not exceed: XXXX lbs.” And then somewhere (ours is another sticker in same area) it will give you the GVWR: XXXX lbs.

And, someone else please let me know if I’m off on sticker location, etc since this is a F-150 and we have a F-350. I know everything isn’t a match with sticker location between them.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Quote: "Edit: I had not read the 2 posts above when I posted. If you are looking at a pickup with the 2.7L Ecoboost - don't IMO. I drove a 17 Edge with one in CO for a month and was not impressed....at all, other than it is more powerful than a non boosted engine of similar size. It certainly would never fall into a category of something able to pull a full size truck plus a trailer - Wolf Creek Pass was enough for it."

You really need to do a lot more research on the ecoboost line, including the 2018 F-150 with the 2.7 liter EB before making a statement like that. The 2018 2.7L EB in the F-150 has 400 lb/feet of torque. That's plenty for a 6000 GVW trailer with a Class IV hitch system and WDH. Your 6.4 liter V8 has only 429 lb-ft, and you have to rev it up to 4000 rpm to get it. The 2.7 liter EB has its 400 lb-ft available at 2750 rpm. Guess who's going to be burning more gas? (Not that towing MPG is great in any TV!).
This really isn't a "Ford against the world" thread, or "Ford is the best thing going" or "no one but you knows anything about towing". Sorry.

I gave my real life, seat of the pants impression of driving a 2.7 Ecoboost in a small SUV - nothing more, nothing less - so I DO know of what I speak. It has far too many holes in its torque band to be useful towing....to me. Sitting on a computer espousing that what you read in some brochure is reality compared to a real life experience is definitely "knowing not of what ye speak". Also, talking as if the tow rating, as advertised by the manufacturer, means more than anything is just ill informed.

I am not trying to be ugly.....just trying to help a person with valid concerns who asked a valid question with what I know and have experienced - that's it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #29
ChuckS

By the time you add in water, propane, food, clothes, cooking stuff, etc your gonna be 6K in weight.. now add weight of a good weight distribution hitch...

21 foot length on that trailer if I read specs right..

Jeep anything not enough wheel base... in my opinion

I’d sure have to look at some sort of 2500 series club cab truck.. wouldn’t have to be a diesel for that trailer...

I would not wanna be towing that trailer with a Jeep, etc on a really windy day..

Many do... just not me...

Good luck with your endeavors
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #30
linux3

My goodness, that's a heavy TT for it's size.
You can search and find my tales of towing with an Explorer Sport with the 3.5 Ecoboost but hint, hint that's why I now drive a Silverado.
Have you looked at / thought about a Chevy Colorado? With a nice shell on the back it'll kinda look like an SUV.
Spec's are find for what you want to tow.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #31
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

I gave my real life, seat of the pants impression of driving a 2.7 Ecoboost in a small SUV - nothing more, nothing less - so I DO know of what I speak. It has far too many holes in its torque band to be useful towing....to me. Sitting on a computer espousing that what you read in some brochure is reality compared to a real life experience is definitely "knowing not of what ye speak". Also, talking as if the tow rating, as advertised by the manufacturer, means more than anything is just ill informed.

I am not trying to be ugly.....just trying to help a person with valid concerns who asked a valid question with what I know and have experienced - that's it.
I replied to your Private Message on Photography twice? Let me know if you got it as when I checked the "sent" message, there were none?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #32
Chris P

I have to say check out the RAM ,Durango or Grand Cherokee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:30 PM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I replied to your Private Message on Photography twice? Let me know if you got it as when I checked the "sent" message, there were none?
Did you get my PM? Yes, you did send yours twice.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #34
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
I have to say check out the RAM ,Durango or Grand Cherokee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Got the door sticker specs from the dealer via email, attached. Looks to be just a tad over 6,000 lbs I need. I think I will look into the Dodge Ram 1500 series, notice many have the hemi v8 for less than the Fords go for. Opinions on that?

Used 2014 RAM 1500 4x4 Quad Cab Tradesman
LOW MILES - 26,253! WAS $26,999, EPA 23 MPG Hwy/16 MPG City! Tradesman trim. Bed Liner, 4x4, Trailer Hitch, ENGINE: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FordF150doorSticker.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	15674  
Old 03-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

Jack65,

The 6400 pound GVW was one of the concerns I spoke of in my post #15. That truck, a 2WD, light GVW, smallest EB engine available, is just not equipped for heavy duty towing. It may do you a "super job" for a while, or it may not be up to the task from the beginning. That said, I'd not want to risk the potential that it's not "robust" enough to provide what you're expecting from a brand new, sizeable investment.

Now, that said, I am a "Ford guy" having owned Fords exclusively since 1973, so it's not that I'm "anti-Ford". I think they make some of the best tow vehicles on the market, but they also make some vehicles that are better used as "grocery getters" or "soccer mom movers"....

As for the RAM you found, just be sure to run the numbers on your trailer, the capacity of the truck and if it fits your expected needs, then you've got a decision to make.

Here is what you can expect from the Outback:

GVW 6000 pounds
Tongue Weight 600-900 pounds (10-15% of GVW) plus 100 pounds for the WD hitch weight. Total around 700-1000 pounds.

Your "anticipated vehicle requirements" should include a payload capacity of 1000 pounds for the trailer and hitch plus the weight of your passsengers, cargo in the truck cab and in the truck bed plus any additions you add to the truck (bed cap, bed mat/liner, tool box, etc).

As you can see, you're looking at the potential to require your tow vehicle to carry upwards of 1400 pounds while towing nearly 6000 pounds. That kind of weight is not something to successfully expect from a "light duty grocery getter"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #36
jack65

My biggest mistake appears to be I should have bought the truck first and then the trailer after that.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #37
JRTJH
Site Team

That's one comment made by many new members. The good thing (saving grace) for you is that you have not yet bought the tow vehicle and found out afterwards that it was the wrong vehicle....

Many people think "economy" when shopping for vehicles but when towing a heavy trailer, it's more about carry capacity (payload) and GCWR (combined capacity of trailer and truck). Attempting to compromise so you can get 25MPG when using it around town and expecting it to tow 6000 pounds up the mountain without overheating/breaking something... Well, it's near impossible to find a vehicle that does both.....

Thankfully, you haven't yet spent your money on a new vehicle and aren't faced with trading it in a week after realizing it's too small for the task at hand... Consider it "good fortune" that you've got the means to do it right the first time.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
My biggest mistake appears to be I should have bought the truck first and then the trailer after that.

Happens to SO many of us....me included. I had a new truck. Wanted this trailer. It was stretching my truck to the very limits but bought it because it was the trailer we wanted - before I joined this forum.

Pulled it a few thousand miles with that truck...200 lbs. over payload. Made some posts on here and was told I would enjoy a heavier truck....I replied that it towed "just fine". After dealing with it I began to think about "just fine" and the fact that I was over payload and what could happen. I got to the point I actually would wake up at night worrying about it. I bought a new 3/4 ton HD and......wow, "just fine" was "just barely". I found that out while costing myself a lot of money. It also made me realize the value that the members here have...even if saying something you don't want to hear....and I'm one of those. I've towed all kinds of things all my life and just "winged" it. I wasn't really interested (worried) about "numbers". I am now.

All that to point out that I, and the experienced folks on this forum, only want to help, hopefully, any new member avoid those mistakes, and lost money......especially if they ask beforehand. It's the right thing to do.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #39
jack65

How about this one?

Used 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Quad Cab ST
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...elCode1=RM1500
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

See my PM. I think the 4.7 might be a bit weak for that trailer.

Tags
tow, towing