Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 09:53 AM   #1
Richdem

Popup Camper Upgrade - Passport Ultralight

Hi All,

My wife & I have just sold our tent trailer (2007 Fleetwood Bayside) and would like to upgrade to a small lightweight travel trailer that we can tow comfortably with our 2014 Ford Edge (V6 FWD) which has a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. We plan on using a weight distribution hitch for further stability.

We have spent the last month researching and viewing trailers and were really impressed with the build quality and standard equipment levels of the following 2 trailers.

2016 Passport 151ML or 2018 Passport 175h BH

The 175 BH comes in a little heavier at 3,160 lbs whereas the 151 ML is just under 3,000 lbs. We did like the layout of the 175 but that would only leave us around 340 lbs of cargo capacity. Seeing it is just the two of us and our 4 legged son we figured the 151 would be a better fit for us.

I would like to hear from anyone that has one of these trailers about their experiences and if there is anything that we should specifically watch out for. Both trailers are brand new so both come with a 1 year warranty.

Regards

Richard
Richdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Bbacic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richdem View Post
Hi All,

My wife & I have just sold our tent trailer (2007 Fleetwood Bayside) and would like to upgrade to a small lightweight travel trailer that we can tow comfortably with our 2014 Ford Edge (V6 FWD) which has a towing capacity of 3,500 lbs. We plan on using a weight distribution hitch for further stability.

We have spent the last month researching and viewing trailers and were really impressed with the build quality and standard equipment levels of the following 2 trailers.

2016 Passport 151ML or 2018 Passport 175h BH

The 175 BH comes in a little heavier at 3,160 lbs whereas the 151 ML is just under 3,000 lbs. We did like the layout of the 175 but that would only leave us around 340 lbs of cargo capacity. Seeing it is just the two of us and our 4 legged son we figured the 151 would be a better fit for us.

I would like to hear from anyone that has one of these trailers about their experiences and if there is anything that we should specifically watch out for. Both trailers are brand new so both come with a 1 year warranty.

Regards

Richard
I have the 175BH and we bought it in June and have used 3 times already. Works great for our little family of 3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Bbacic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

The 2014 Edge is not a suitable tow vehicle for a trailer weighing more than 3500 pounds with a tongue weight greater than 350 pounds (Class 2 towing package). Even if your Edge is equipped with the "factory towing package" it won't be suitable to tow a 19' travel trailer. Both of the trailers you list have unloaded tongue weights of 385 and 395 pounds and will have loaded tongue weights much greater than the Edge limitation of 350 pounds. Your "frontal area" will be greater than the 30 sqft maximum for the Edge and either trailer, when loaded for travel will weigh in at more than the 3500 pound limit.

Unfortunately, you can't adapt a class 2 receiver to equal the rating of a class 3 or 4 weight distributing hitch.

Have you considered upgrading your vehicle to a larger one that is suitable for towing a 4500 - 5500 pound RV? Both of the trailers you've listed will be heavier than your maximum tongue weight (350) and when loaded, even with minimal supplies and equipment will weigh more than the maximum trailer weight of 3500 pounds.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Richdem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbacic View Post
I have the 175BH and we bought it in June and have used 3 times already. Works great for our little family of 3.

Nice setup you have there

Are you towing it with the F150? or are you using an SUV?
Old 08-28-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Bbacic

Quote:
Nice setup you have there

Are you towing it with the F150? or are you using an SUV?
I'm using a 08 nissan frontier

Bbacic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #6
rjrelander

If you need to stick with the Ford Edge, you could try looking at Scamps.

https://www.scamptrailers.com/images...14_Catalog.pdf

The brochure weights on their two travel trailer models range from 1200 to 2600 pounds (assuming dry weight). Hard to pin down any weight specifications on them but they would look about right behind an Edge.

They also have a 19' fifth wheel. Has anyone seen one in the wild? Not an option for the Ford Edge though unless you are handy with a cutting torch.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 03:58 AM   #7
Richdem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The 2014 Edge is not a suitable tow vehicle for a trailer weighing more than 3500 pounds with a tongue weight greater than 350 pounds (Class 2 towing package). Even if your Edge is equipped with the "factory towing package" it won't be suitable to tow a 19' travel trailer. Both of the trailers you list have unloaded tongue weights of 385 and 395 pounds and will have loaded tongue weights much greater than the Edge limitation of 350 pounds. Your "frontal area" will be greater than the 30 sqft maximum for the Edge and either trailer, when loaded for travel will weigh in at more than the 3500 pound limit.

Unfortunately, you can't adapt a class 2 receiver to equal the rating of a class 3 or 4 weight distributing hitch.

Have you considered upgrading your vehicle to a larger one that is suitable for towing a 4500 - 5500 pound RV? Both of the trailers you've listed will be heavier than your maximum tongue weight (350) and when loaded, even with minimal supplies and equipment will weigh more than the maximum trailer weight of 3500 pounds.
Thank you for the in depth reply John,

I was somewhat dismayed by the details in your reply as all of the dealers we visited told us that the 151ML was perfect for an SUV/Minivan. We were told that using the WD Hitch we took off our Bayside would help further.

Not one person mentioned the frontal area consideration. I have to say I am pretty surprised the Edge can't pull a small lightweight trailer such as the 151ML. This would have been a perfect fit for us but upgrading the edge isn't really an option right now so I guess we won't be buying a travel trailer right now

Richard
Old 08-29-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for the in depth reply John,

I was somewhat dismayed by the details in your reply as all of the dealers we visited told us that the 151ML was perfect for an SUV/Minivan. We were told that using the WD Hitch we took off our Bayside would help further.

Not one person mentioned the frontal area consideration. I have to say I am pretty surprised the Edge can't pull a small lightweight trailer such as the 151ML. This would have been a perfect fit for us but upgrading the edge isn't really an option right now so I guess we won't be buying a travel trailer right now

Richard
Richard,

Many (maybe even most) RV salesmen will tell you whatever you want to hear when it comes to making a sale. We have reports of people on this forum being told their 3/4 ton truck is suitable to tow a 40+ foot 16,000 pound fifth wheel, people who have been told their half ton truck is suitable for a 37' travel trailer and people, like you, who have been "given information to support the sale".... Do your own research, talk to your Ford dealership, go to FORD.COM and download the 2014 trailering guide. Then, don't "make yourself promises you can't keep" by using "fudged numbers" that don't reflect the true weights that you'll be towing and carrying in your Edge.

There are trailers suitable for the Edge, just not one that will easily weigh more than the 3,500 pound towing limit and the 350 pound "class two" receiver tongue weight limit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
rjrelander

Quote:
Yeah, I never considered the frontal area either. I would assume that the 30 ft^2 frontal area limitation applies to a worse case drag coefficient of a flat-faced trailer. Aerodynamic shapes make a huge difference in the force required to move the trailer at a given velocity. Square boxes have a drag coefficient of about 1.0 and typical vehicles are around 0.3. With a drag coefficient of 0.5 (shape of a Jeep), you should be able to pull something with the typical 50-60 ft^2 frontal area of a small travel trailer but I could be wrong.

Your vehicle has its own drag coefficient and adding a trailer complicates the air flow so the total is a weird combination of the two. Sometimes it is even less depending on the overall profile. The air just sees a blob of "something" passing through it. You are ultimately dealing with a velocity squared calculation for drag force. Doubling the velocity with the same combined drag coefficient means four times the drag force and four times the drive axle torque to maintain that speed whether you are a dump truck or a race car.

I don't necessarily want to push you away from Keystone, but I would look at something like a Scamp or Casita, mainly due to your 350 lb. tongue weight limit, but also because they are more aerodynamic. Even on the small end, Keystone really doesn't have a product that fits in the Class II (2000-3500 GVWR) trailer market. The Summerland Mini 1750RD that we bought is in the middle of the Class III (3500-6000 GVWR) range. The Passport Ultralite 151ML and 175BH models look like a heavy Class II but are technically a light Class III.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 AM   #10
linux3

I originally pulled my 195RB with a Ford Explorer Sport. Twin turbo 3.5 and 5k trailer package.
It's heavier than what you are looking at but not by a lot.
It's still a 8 ft wide by 11 ft brick going down the road.
The Explorer had the power but not the frame and stability to comfortably pull. Lots of white knuckle times.
My dual cab Silverado makes the 6k miles a year smooth sailing.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 PM   #11
biogradbooth

I pull the 175bh with a 2017 pathfinder rated to pull 6,000lbs. I use weight distribution hitch and have also installed air coil bags.

I've pulled it to Yellowstone and back to Indiana. It was adequate. My wife has a Ford Edge. No way it can pull that trailer. Your vehicles towing capacity includes occupants in the car and anything you stow in the car. So you need to add your passenger weights to the trailer weights along with anything else you are bringing (coolers etc).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
biogradbooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, passport, upgrade