Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
mpsport

Newbie question about camp site

Hello everyone, I'm planing goto Yellowstone during Labor Day weekend. According to the reservation web site for Madison campground, the largest site they have is 40ft or under. My question is how does the measurement is taking on my rig? My 2001 Yukon which is 16'7" and my cougar 1/2 ton 24sabwe travel trailer which is 28'3" (hitch pin to rear of the bumper) with Overall will be 44'10". So Am I out of luck to park at those campsite? Sorry this is my first rig and also my first time at RV campsite. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 05:00 AM   #2
busterbrown

It's fairly standard for campgrounds to list what size rv will fit in the site. If it's a trailer, 5th wheel, or motor coach, the "40 and under" site will accommodate exactly that, any RV under that length. The site size does not include the additional length of any tow vehicle or pull behind boat or car. If your tt is a 35 footer, the site will most likely accommodate it but you may have to park your truck next to the trailer, not in front of it. Have fun.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Yellowstone (and much of the National Park Service) campgrounds are "sized differently" than many public and private campgrounds.

In Yellowstone, the campsites are sized "in combination" with the tow vehicle. That means a 40' site will accommodate a RV and tow vehicle length of 40'. Here's the comment cut from the Madison Campground website:

"When calling to make a reservation be prepared to give the size of your tent (in feet) or the combined length of your RV and any other vehicles or towed vehicles. (e.g. the length of your truck in addition to the length of your trailer when fully open.) Campground rates are per night, for up to six people or one family (parents with dependent children) and do not include taxes and utility fee.
Campground sites that will accommodate a maximum combined length of 40-feet or more are limited."

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...on-campground/

We drove through Madison campground last year while in Yellowstone, but did not camp there. We stayed at Fishing Bridge. Many of the sites at Madison are "pull through loops" as well as the conventional "back in" spaces. There is ample parking at Madison campground, so while there might be an "issue" with your combined rig length, your RV will fit on a 40' site and there is additional parking at the campground, so at the very worst, you may wind up parking a couple hundred feet from your RV, but at least you won't be turned away.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
mpsport

Wow thank you for the info, just didn't want to get there and find out that I can't camp there!

Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Since this is your first time camping at an RV site you will quickly discover that most people will not park in the hitched position. Many will park crossways across the front or rear of their trailer or pull in alongside the hitch. As already mentioned, most campgrounds have an overflow parking area for visitors or TVs that don't fit at the site. I've been to a couple that require parking at a separate parking area. You will be fine. You might also want to check out Flagg Ranch. That is where we camped and loved it. It's about a mile outside the park entrance in the Grand Teton and an easy drive to Jackson. My understanding, there isn't really a bad place up there.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 05:22 AM   #6
mpsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Since this is your first time camping at an RV site you will quickly discover that most people will not park in the hitched position. Many will park crossways across the front or rear of their trailer or pull in alongside the hitch. As already mentioned, most campgrounds have an overflow parking area for visitors or TVs that don't fit at the site. I've been to a couple that require parking at a separate parking area. You will be fine. You might also want to check out Flagg Ranch. That is where we camped and loved it. It's about a mile outside the park entrance in the Grand Teton and an easy drive to Jackson. My understanding, there isn't really a bad place up there.

Thank you for the info and suggesting for the Flagg Ranch! It's perfect! I was gonna stop by Grand Teton on the way back to Vegas!