Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Mistral

Trailblazer 2003 with Passport 2510RB

HI !! I have Dual-Cam with 550 lbs bars and I would like to change my bars for bigger ones but dont know which one to buy or maybe change for Equal-I-Zer hitch.

Presently the head is tilted all the way back and the bars have 4 chains hook from the cam. Can I pull one more link or its too much for the bars ?
Soory for my bad english

Today this was my first ride with Dual-cam and I was not impressed yet.

Need your advise !!

Thank you all for your help.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
jq1031

Hi Mistral..Your Trailblazer is a mid size SUV pulling alot of trailer. My guess is your problem is more of weight problem than a hitch/distribution/sway problem. Have you checked your vehicle gross weight capacity & trailer GVW to be sure that your not overloaded on one or both ends? If your hitch is a Reese Dual Cam, that's an ample system but it may be overwhelmed! That trailer has about a 7K GVW , with a hitch tongue weight of just under 500 lbs....alot to pull by a trailblazer!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Mistral

For the weight, it is limit I know but the problem I have is that the rear of the Trailblazer is to low and the front is too high, not too much but enough to make the front end floating a bit so it's hard to maintain straight as the front wheel does not make good contact with raod. I wanted to buy heavier bars because mine are at the limit and I do not want to break them pulling to much on chains because my bars would go round (Curved).

I just need that extra power to make things level as it should be (like my last TT) and there is 3 sorts of bars... 600, 800 ,1000 lbs. I know 800 would do the job but why not get the 1000 lbs, thats the base of my question.

I will forget the Equal-I-Zer hitch because I already have Dual-Cam (Brand new) that would be a waste of money.

PS: I have at least 600 lbs on tongue for sure.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
campingcpl

I don't think your main problem is your bars IMO. Not knowing the specifics for your tow vehical (2wd or 4wd and gear ratio), the maximum your vehical would tow is 6,300 lbs. Your trailer is 4810 dry with standard features (options can add to this weight and then add in battery(s) and propane). This has already put you at 76% of your vehicals maximum tow capacity. A safe percentage that most people use is no more then 80% of a vehicals tow capacity. So my suggestion would be if you want to use this vehical to tow your trailer then I would be looking into some helper springs, load adjusting shocks, air bags or some other form of suspension upgrades. Stepping up to a heavier bar will help a little but your truck is still going to sag in the rear because the truck is not designed to tow as much weight as you are putting on it. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm with jq1031, that is a lot of weight to pull with a TrailBlazer.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM   #5
jje1960

Your tv - tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
For the weight, it is limit I know but the problem I have is that the rear of the Trailblazer is to low and the front is too high, not too much but enough to make the front end floating a bit so it's hard to maintain straight as the front wheel does not make good contact with raod. I wanted to buy heavier bars because mine are at the limit and I do not want to break them pulling to much on chains because my bars would go round (Curved).

I just need that extra power to make things level as it should be (like my last TT) and there is 3 sorts of bars... 600, 800 ,1000 lbs. I know 800 would do the job but why not get the 1000 lbs, thats the base of my question.

I will forget the Equal-I-Zer hitch because I already have Dual-Cam (Brand new) that would be a waste of money.
r.

PS: I have at least 600 lbs on tongue for sure.

Thank you.
Please understand this is in my very humble opinion... However your set-up is pretty mis-matched. I would not be putting band-aids on this but looking for a pickup that was made for pulling that trailer. However, if your just pulling down the country road a couple of miles to a campground, guess that's doable.... NOT on any of at-speed interstate type situations that's for sure, your just begging to start an out of control bounce and end up losing everything, including your life or anothe
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Mistral

I forgot to say that I was driving in HIGH side wind when I said I was not impressed about dual-cam.
Side wind at 40 km/h (24 mph) with gust at 75 km/h (46 mph).
The first day I brought back the TT home I was on highway at 100 km/h without any problem.

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #7
jq1031

Smile

Air bags, a little upgrade on the suspension will definately help. However, before spending that money, if you have the means, upgrade to a full size TV (tow vehicle). With the fuel prices what they are, a GOOD five or eight year old three quarter ton truck may be well within reach. Safe towing is the most important thing & that dual cam will make you proud you bought it!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
rturriff7

the Trailblazer is to low and the front is too high, not too much but enough to make the front end floating a bit so it's hard to maintain straight as the front wheel does not make good contact with raod.

Yikes! Buy a truck.
Andersen Ultimate
Honda EU3000is
rturriff7 is offline   Reply With Quote