Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #21
Desert185

Propellers, steam gauges and tailwheels, although, I do have a soft spot for the DC-8-70 series.

BTW, that old car you described...my dad and I could fix it...not waiting for the dealer to open on Monday. A computer interface to adjust mirrors or select 4WD? Really?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #22
Cyncwby

Yea I can remember towing our old boat out to the Colorado river waaaay back in my Dad's '47 Cadillac. It was about 300 miles and it seemed like it took forever. If he didn't hang the old canvas water bag on the front bumper we would be screwed. That old 346" flathead would always overheat somewhere along the way......great memories though.
Cyncwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #23
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
The rub would not be noticeable on a light color truck. You can see the white line next to the fender in the photos. This is the first time Sept last year. I do not have photos of this past Sept. Ford did warranty the repainting of the complete bed exterior.

Javi, you wouldn't think any way for the frame flex to cause a rub, but it does. There is a thread on the Diesel Stop that use to have photos of a 2012 F450 dually that rubbed through the paint and also caused the steel to stress crack.

I am happy with my truck and hopefully this last time they repaired and repainted the bed, the welting they put between the
Larry, I see the mark you're talking about in the last photo but I still can't equate that to frame flex. The fender is only attached to the bed at the wheel well and while the bed is attached to the frame there is no anchor on the fender to cause a rub...

If they had said vibration with loose clips then I could wrap my head around that.. If you push on the top of the fender you can see it flex. I can provide you a photo of the clips that attach the fender if you want, a road gator jumped up and bit my driver side fender last week and broke the fender loose... I don't think the fender is hurt but it was knocked off the clips..
Old 12-14-2015, 04:14 AM   #24
old timer

Seems to me that Ford should have put a piece of rubber between the fender and the bed. It would appear that the fender isn't secure and moving around not frame flex. Take it to the dealer and they should fix it.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #25
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Larry, I see the mark you're talking about in the last photo but I still can't equate that to frame flex. The fender is only attached to the bed at the wheel well and while the bed is attached to the frame there is no anchor on the fender to cause a rub...

If they had said vibration with loose clips then I could wrap my head around that.. If you push on the top of the fender you can see it flex. I can provide you a photo of the clips that attach the fender if you want, a road gator jumped up and bit my driver side fender last week and broke the fender loose... I don't think the fender is hurt but it was knocked off the clips..
Javi, It might not be obvious but will say this, after the first time the local dealer fixed it in Sept 2014. I did not have any fender rubbing from Sept 2014 to Sept 2015. I did not do any towing with the truck of any sorts during this period. The only time the rubbing was noticed was AFTER towing the 5th wheel trailer using the Ford in bed hitch and mounts.

Seems like the problem only revels itself is after towing with the in bed hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Seems to me that Ford should have put a piece of rubber between the fender and the bed. It would appear that the fender isn't secure and moving around not frame flex. Take it to the dealer and they should fix it.

This time they did put some felt welting between the fender and the bed. Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 AM   #26
jsmith948

Seems like the problem only revels itself is after towing with the in bed hitch.

If the rubbing only happens when you tow your 5er, I would look at how the hitch is installed. The weight of the trailer should be on the frame not the bed. Maybe someone left out a spacer/shim. Might be worth a look?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:04 AM   #27
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post

If the rubbing only happens when you tow your 5er, I would look at how the hitch is installed. The weight of the trailer should be on the frame not the bed. Maybe someone left out a spacer/shim. Might be worth a look?
The hitch prep kit was factory installed and the hitch is factory supplied Reese hitch.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1013 View Post
The hitch prep kit was factory installed and the hitch is factory supplied Reese hitch.
The fact that the hitch is independent of the bed is what sold me on the Rese/Ford Elite hitch when I had my F250. I installed the one in the F250 myself and it has zero solid contact with the bed and the only part touching the bed is the rubber covers over the pucks.

The one in the dually was installed by the dealer and I kept my hitch... I just can't get my engineering brain to equate the 5th wheel and frame flex to the problem.. Vibration resonance when the additional load is in place I could see.. Anyway the additional felt should help.. How much 5th wheel you got.. Mine's 12K
Old 12-15-2015, 05:45 PM   #29
Larry1013

Javi, the sticker shows 10,200 as the GVWR. It is shown as 33' long. My goose neck/5th wheel prep was installed at the factory. I ordered the 26K hitch with the 2011 and it was never used till I got the 2015 and the current trailer.