Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 07:11 AM   #1
norcal1

Has anyone installed one?

I have a 247BHS bullet. It has two doors. One of the doors has a big grab handle and the wife would like me to install one on the other door. I found the same one on ebay for about 30.00. My question is has anyone done this? Is there something to mount to? Ebay add says installs in two minutes. Any input would be helpful.
norcal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
Tbos

I'd be interested in the answer too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
bsmith0404

There is a wall stud, all openings (window, door, cargo doors) have framing around them, that is what the door framing is attached to on one side and the door catch on the other side, it would not support the weight of the door without a solid mounting point to keep it all from flexing. All you need to do is make sure you know how wide the stud is so you are sure the screws catch it. I would guess the install would be closer to 5 minutes. I personally have not installed one, but my dad has on one of his previous trailers.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
There is a wall stud, all openings (window, door, cargo doors) have framing around them, that is what the door framing is attached to on one side and the door catch on the other side, it would not support the weight of the door without a solid mounting point to keep it all from flexing. All you need to do is make sure you know how wide the stud is so you are sure the screws catch it. I would guess the install would be closer to 5 minutes. I personally have not installed one, but my dad has on one of his previous trailers.
I've installed them on several trailers, all different manufacturers. As you point out, there is a 2x2 (or maybe 1.5x1.5) frame around the door. The mounts on these handles have the mounting holes offset to one side. That's so the screws will line up with and go into the framing. Just make sure the two mounts are snug to the door frame and you should be fine. You can see the off center mounting holes in this pic:

FWIW, You have to drill pilot holes anyway so you will know if there is solid material (wood or aluminum) under the skin of the trailer when you drill the very first hole. On the remote possibility that there is not anything under the skin, you can just plug the hole with a nice looking white screw. I highly doubt you'd have to do that, however.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven't ever had to drill a pilot hole. The screws are coarse thread with a tapered tip that digs right in.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
SLIMSHADIE

I installed 1 last year, pretty easy. Originally had the small grab handle and previously seen an idea on another post.
Remove small handle. Use top hole for the top of new handle. Mark new holes-top and bottom. Predrill screw holes.
Note: I have fiberglass outside and metal studs. So I predrill pilot holes for screw thru fiberglass and stud then i used a bigger bit just to predrill thru fiberglass to clear screw width. This way i dont get a crack started from the screw on final installation, Im pretty anal.
I already had some dicor from a previos project, filled holes then final install.
Now I still have the old bottom hole. I reinstalled old handle but made this the top and made a new lower hole. It turned out pretty nice and we still use both handles but the new bigger handle way more, and no left over holes to boot.
This was not a 2-5 minute install, but not hard either.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
Bowhunter

I have installed them on my last trailer and my current one. My first trailer, a 2004 Springdale had no support like one would expect. I ended up buying oval head stainless bolts and stainless cupped washers which created a nice finish. I drilled right through the exterior wall and through to the interior wall. Put bolt into the finishing cupped washer from the inside of the camper to the exterior where bolted to the handle with the nuts inset into the handle brackets. The washers helped stiffen the support. My current Premier was so much nicer. It had the support so I drilled small I lot holes and screwed them tight. 5 min install. I used measurements off my main door for height and placement. Good luck!

2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 6LV8
Current TT: 2014 32BHPR Premier
2003-2014: 2004 298BHL Springdale
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote