Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #1
SchafferFamily

Arrow PA-FL -- First Long Trip

Good morning everyone. We are about 2 months away from taking our longest trip camping, a two week 'get me the hell outta work' trip with our kids to Florida. I have had to work all but a few days this year to save my vacation hours and its getting to me. I've got it thought out and planned to a certain point, but looking for any tips and advice. We originally had this planned with our mini-van and popup, but since July have gotten a truck and the Passport 217exp, which will make this trip more comfortable.

Our plan currently is:
Nov 14- Leave PA for Fayetteville, NC
Nov 15 - NC to Starke FL
Nov 16 - North FL to Fort Wilderness at Disney

We are at the campground the till that following Sunday, and have 3 days to spend at the parks and two at the campground as downtime days. I have three daughters, ages 11,11,5 and this will be our first trip to Disney. We are actually hoping to keep it a surprise till we leave NC for the second leg, they currently believe we are going to a YogiBear campground in Virginia. I've gotten a few character meals reserved so far.

Any tips for Fort Wilderness? Is it best to still drive to the parks instead of hopping buses?

Then, the week of Thanksgiving, we will depart on Sunday and head to South Carolina for a two night stay. Followed by a 3 night stay just outside Williamsburg VA for Thanksgiving itself. Making the trip home on Good Friday back to PA.

Any tips for Fort Wilderness or Williamsburg VA would be appreciated. Also, any tips for the long haul down? Pretty much 95 most of the way. I have a list of RV service centers and AAA PlusRV, but besides towing our new camper in the Poconos of PA for a few short weekend trips (130 miles or so each way), this will be our first big long haul and our first time south of Washington DC area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	9397  

2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Passport 217exp
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 AM   #2
notanlines

Robert, I don't have good news for you. You will need to make a trip to your friendly Chevy dealer and upgrade to a 3500 long bed just to handle the extra load of cash you will need at Disneyworld. Then you will need to find a large piece of plywood to put down the back of your pants to protect you from the butt-kicking your children's teachers are going to give you when you get back for taking them out of school. Other than these two small items, y'all will have a great time!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:17 AM   #3
Knucklehead

Smile disney world

my family is going in oct for two weeks at fort wilderness have been many times before use the in house transportation Disney has enjoy the trip it is Great
1999 F350 7.3 MTans DRW 4Door 4X4 4:10 gears
2013 Raptor 297 SE
2005 Sprinter 276FWRLS
1990 Jayco 26 Special
1985 Jayco 1008 SG Popup
Knucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #4
Laredo291OH

When we were at Ft Wilderness a couple of years ago the truck never even moved after we got there. The buses are way easier to use. You can also take a boat across the lake to get there.
Laredo291OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
cw3jason

Just came back from Ft Wilderness. Really nice campground. Check out the forum ft. Fiends and there is a ft. Fiend app that let's you see the sites and the different loops. Use disney transportation, you can get to the magic kingdom by boat from the campground, and busses bring you everywhere

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 05:21 AM   #6
SchafferFamily

Thanks everyone for the response. So much to read and learn about Disney.

2004 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
2016 Passport 217exp
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote