Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Rick

Anderson Powerpole

Does anyone use Anderson Powerpole items in lieu of cigarette lighter connectors? RC and Ham Radio people use them. I hate the cigarette lighter connectors, as it seems the plugs always come loose from the socket, or the plug is too big and won't fit. I've started using powerpoles for my portable solar stuff and was thinking of changing any cigarette sockets in the trailer over to powerpole connectors. The small connectors will handle up to 45A. I usually make my own 12v power cords anyways, so switching over won't be a problem. As I haven't found any wall plates with the powerpole connectors, I'll make my own up.

If you have used them, what have you hooked them up for?

Powerwerx seems to have the largest selection of items.

AES has almost as many items, but cheaper 1st class shipping.

Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #2
MotownJG

I have used them, but only for ham radio applications. They have different sizes for different amperages which makes it convenient if you'd like to stay with that style of connector. But I cannot honestly say I used them with my 2009 Keystone Copper Canyon 5th Wheel RV.

Although I have thought about it. For whatever that's worht.......
Hoping to leave California in the next year.
MotownJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
ChuckS

Yes I use them.. WB7TXG here in Idaho.. I have cables installed on my batteries and when boon docking I have quick access the DC power with a lot of current for my ham gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Rick

I like them because, for my use they all come in 1 size, but different amperages (15, 30 and 45A) and different colors. Also, although traditionally you use them side by side (looking from the back, red should be on the right), you can also change the orientation to one above the other. This way you could have solar connectors one color set or orientation (as one person said "This way I can't plug something in expecting to see 12vdc to the output of the panels which can be higher for sure"), and traditional 12v items another color set or orientation.

I found a few pics and videos of them
http://rvtipoftheday.com/product-rev...tion-of-choice

Although the up front cost is higher than cigarette lighter connectors, they're easy to expand upon, carry a higher amperage and are more secure. Once I have my wall plate made up, I'll post a pic of it in the Modification section.

Rick
Old 06-21-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Rick

Made my powerpole modification.

Rick

Moderator's Note:
The above link takes you to a post by Rick in the Modifications & Upgrades section where it is described in more detail along with photos.