Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
grubby

beach campgrounds

me, my wife, and my 3 yr old are wanting to take a trip to a beach and spend a week for vacation. we live in tenn and was thinking about going to myrtle beach or somewhere in that area plus or minus 150 miles. we would like to be right on the beach if possible, but I know sometimes it hard to get a spot. would want full hookup, any sugestions would be great, I would even be happy on the gulf cost
grubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:45 PM   #2
SkyPiGG

Maybe out of your range, but Ocean City Maryland has some good resort type campgrounds with their own beaches. We go there every year.
SkyPiGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
Starmaster

Florida Beach Camping

Depending on how far you want to drive, be sure to check out Henderson Beach State Park in Destin Florida. The campground is cut out of the dune scrub such that no camping space can see another. They have water and electric at the sites, a nice shower house / bathroom, and a dump station. The campsites are about a 1/4 mile walk through the dunes on a paved path and boardwalk directly to the campground beach. They are always booked, but if you keep checking the reservations, you can frequently find a cancelation. We drive from Missouri each year just to spend two weeks at Destin.
B&W Patriot, Honda EU2000i, Progressive Ind EMS, 602ABCWATER water softener, TireTraker, Rand RVND7730 GPS
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
Keywestparrothead

Huntington Beach State Park, in South Myrtle Beach area (Murrells Inlet), has been one of our favorite locations for about 9 years now, we go about 5-6 times a year. But it books out about a year in advance. It is about a 1/4 mile walk thru the dunes but well worth it. I have been there on holidays and had 100 yards of beach to myself due to the lay out of the peninsula of the park. Great seafood almost within walking distance and all without the craziness of Myrtle Beach, but if you want that you are only 20 min away too.

http://southcarolinaparks.reserveame...C&parkId=10115

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
2008 CC Silverback 32LFGBS TT
2004 Coleman/Fleetwood PU
Keywestparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
jbird1311

Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach is AWESOME. Plenty of things to do with a 3yr old and very close to the beach. Negatives: busy, sites close to each other and not a lot of shade.
jbird1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

If Myrtle Beach is booked you could look at the Gulf coast along highway 98 from Panama City, Mexico Beach, Appalchicola to Carabelle. Several campgrounds and a few right on the beach. A little remote but it's very pretty (I was just down there day before yesterday). Destin, with some of the prettiest beaches in the U.S., has a few campgrounds as well but I'm not sure if you can get into them without a big lead time.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 03:54 AM   #7
CampinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywestparrothead View Post
Huntington Beach State Park, in South Myrtle Beach area (Murrells Inlet), has been one of our favorite locations for about 9 years now, we go about 5-6 times a year. But it books out about a year in advance. It is about a 1/4 mile walk thru the dunes but well worth it. I have been there on holidays and had 100 yards of beach to myself due to the lay out of the peninsula of the park. Great seafood almost within walking distance and all without the craziness of Myrtle Beach, but if you want that you are only 20 min away too.

http://southcarolinaparks.reserveame...C&parkId=10115

We live in MB and are camping at HBSP for the first time in a few weeks. We drove through last weekend just to check it out and the ranger told us that typically 20% of the paid sites don't show up. Not sure if that means they cancel early enough for someone to take there spot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:18 AM   #8
crash

I wish they had 50 amp service
2008 F350 chipped and bagged 6.4 power stroke crew cab 4x4.2013 384pk Raptor (Gravy Train) 2006 Fatboy w/18inch ape hangers,2006 883c sporty,Army wife Kim,Cocoa (The Boarder Collie) and Rebel (The English Bulldog) (THE RICH RAGE WAR,BUT ITS THE POOR THAT DIE)
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:33 AM   #9
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
I wish they had 50 amp service
It's coming! They are developing / redeveloping the old campground section that was destroyed by hurricane Hugo (I believe). Anyway, 50 amp and big rig friendly with concrete pads. Closer to the actual beach too

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 AM   #10
Keywestparrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinDad View Post
We live in MB and are camping at HBSP for the first time in a few weeks. We drove through last weekend just to check it out and the ranger told us that typically 20% of the paid sites don't show up. Not sure if that means they cancel early enough for someone to take there spot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you to the ReserveAmerica site you can setup alerts for your site types to catch the cancellations, although I have not had any success yet on last min trips with this. I just think it is that popular!

2015 Ford F450 KR CC
2010 Montana 3750FL
------------------------
Previous addictions...
2008 Ford F350 6.4 KR CC
Old 05-15-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
Face Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1311 View Post
Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach is AWESOME. Plenty of things to do with a 3yr old and very close to the beach. Negatives: busy, sites close to each other and not a lot of shade.
X2 on Ocean Lakes...we love it there and do a long 10 days stretch once a summer. You also are allowed to bring your own golf cart which is a plus for us. It is a busy place, especially in the summer. They have almost 900 transient RV sites, most with concrete pads and all of them pull-through's...and that is not including probably a 1000+ permanent park models, condo's and homes. Book early...they take reservations 18 months in advance...we usually book for the next summer on out last day.
Face Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:41 PM   #12
jje1960

Ocean lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Down View Post
X2 on Ocean Lakes...we love it there and do a long 10 days stretch once a summer. You also are allowed to bring your own golf cart which is a plus for us. It is a busy place, especially in the summer. They have almost 900 transient RV sites, most with concrete pads and all of them pull-through's...and that is not including probably a 1000+ permanent park models, condo's and homes. Book early...they take reservations 18 months in advance...we usually book for the next summer on out last day.
X3. We will be there almost 3weeks this year over the 4th, we also already have 2016 reservations, love that place.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote