Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
Pappydude

Soft closing toilet seat

Wife is contstantly yelling at me because I forget to put the toilet seat down so when she puts it down, she drops it and the noise..........anyone know of a soft closing toilet seat available for a round Dometic toilet? I've tried Home Depot and Lowe's - they just laugh (the holes don't line up properly)
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The "cushions" on the bottom of the seat are often made of hard nylon/plastic and when dropped or lowered do make a noise. I'd first try to find some cork or some other "soft" material (the pads that you put on the bottom of chair legs) or something similar and glue them to the hard seat pads.
If that doesn't work, make a sign that reads "When finished, put the seat down" and hang it somewhere where you can see it.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
Wife is contstantly yelling at me because I forget to put the toilet seat down so when she puts it down, she drops it and the noise..........anyone know of a soft closing toilet seat available for a round Dometic toilet? I've tried Home Depot and Lowe's - they just laugh (the holes don't line up properly)
Maybe adapt a Toto lid? Train your wife? Drink heavily? Or just continue to
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

This is where men have been brainwashed by their mothers. Why is it our responsibility to put the seat down???? Why isn't it their job to put it back up??? I put it down because my wife tells me to, but I still want to know why? As for the slow close seats ... most are light weight plastic seats and not worth the the money .... had one .... hated it ..... easier to just put he seat down or wear ear plugs so you can't hear the slam or the complaints.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
cathcartww

I prefer have the seat down and the lid closed to keep the dogs from drinking from it. That being said, I think the main reason it is fair to put it down for the ladies is that since they approach back first it is harder for them check before being seated, while we approach frontwards, and (at least hopefully) should be looking down to check where are aiming ....

We have a Toto at home that is self closing and habit forming - takes me the first week of a trip to get the hang of letting it down softly. Would love to find a Toto style seat for the Dometic!

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
Pappydude

Thumbs down

Thank you all for your comments.......I don't drink, so that wasn't an option. I'll continue to put it down "because she tells me to"......but I object to the concept. Backing up isn't the issue if they look at what they're doing before hand......we're never going to win this one no matter what........but thanks for your advice anyway........
Pappy
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
wahoonc

You need to invest in one of these here fancy lights... They glow red when the seat are up and green when the seat is down. Only problem I have is remembering for me red means go and green means stop.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

There are sooooooo many wise (or not so wise) ways to join the conversation in this thread, but my DW occasionally reads a few posts now and then.... So, in the interest of domestic tranquility, I'll just say that reading this thread is amusing and that I too would be confused with the redlight/greenlight dilemma !!!

But when the paperwork is finally done------ it's all still camping !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

A number of years ago I lived amongst some friends and we all worked for
the same employer (a government contractor), so, we would at times
gather in one yard or another, as mine was in the middle I often had the
honor of being the unofficial host (mine was the closest bathroom). So, as
a bachelor, I hung a sign about eye level (when seated), on the wall across
from the throne upon which were the words.
"Ladies, a single man is the primary dweller of this residence,
Please raise the seat upon completion of your business. It helps keep
the lid and seat dry.
Thank you, your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Management."
At first I got some nasty looks and comments but it was accepted
and we could all laugh about it.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
hdrolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappydude View Post
We just changed out our camper seat with a Lowes soft close toilet seat with built in child seat. Lined up and fit perfect, our camper did come with a porcelain toilet though.

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote