Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #1
C130

Fall Creek Falls vs Rock Island State Park Tennessee

We are planning a trip to visit my family in Tennessee this summer. I am trying to decide whether to stay at Fall Creek Falls or Rock Island State Park and wondering if anyone has any experience with these two parks. Rock Island is about an hour away from my family and where I grew up but I haven't camped there and haven't been there in many years. I'm also open to other suggestions, prefer east of Nashville as my parents are about an hour east. Probably won't go as far as Gatlinburg as I've been there a lot but not in the RV.

We are staying in Hot Springs Arkansas on the way up for at least 2-3 nights and currently booked at lake Catherine State Park. Hot Springs is about half way so thought it would be a nice place to stop.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 AM   #2
gwvwadc

Check out the Tennessee State Parks site here:http://tnstateparks.com/.
You can select the park you are interested in, go the the campground information, go to Reserve and actually "see" the campsites.

Me, DW and Taz (Yorkie and the REAL boss!)
2013 Cougar High Country 321 RES
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4 FX4
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:50 AM   #3
C130

Thanks, I've looked at the one or two that are available in June at both parks and booked a spot at Rock Island. I'm still open to suggestions as to which park is better. It looks like Rock Island has recently been renovated with new RV pads and wifi. I guess I should have added it'll be me and my wife, 2 kids (11 & 14), and two dogs. We are looking at which has the most activities and we like to ride mountain bikes, fish, kayak, zip line, or basically any outdoor activities. Looks like Fall Creek Falls has zip lining within in the park or nearby. I'm going to be up in Tennessee in the next couple of weeks most likely so might drive over to Rock Island and check it out. I know bith parks are nice and beautiful areas so probably can't go wrong with either one.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Road-King

I've camped at both, can't go wrong with either. Have you looked at any COE campgrounds? Defeated Creek, east of Lebanon, is supposed to be very nice. Never stayed there but we have stayed at several COE campgrounds and all of them have been nice...
http://www.recreation.gov/
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-King View Post
I've camped at both, can't go wrong with either. Have you looked at any COE campgrounds? Defeated Creek, east of Lebanon, is supposed to be very nice. Never stayed there but we have stayed at several COE campgrounds and all of them have been nice...
http://www.recreation.gov/
Funny you mention Defeated Creek as I grew up not far from there and was just discussing Defeated Creek with my cousin last night. He goes there several times a year and has been going for many years. He loves it and said it was one of his favorite. I don't think they have sewer hookups though. I have family in Lebanon and all around the surrounding Nashville area. Carthage is just about 20 minutes from where I grew up which is where Defeated Creek is located.

Center Hill Lake is also nearby and I have been looking at Edgar Evans also but I want sewer hookups. I've camped there numerous times but that was back in the tent days. It was a short drive from where I grew up and Center Hill still is my favorite lake.

I also just booked 7 nights at Fall Creek Falls and I'll figure out which one we think will be the best. There was only one spot left with full hookups so thought I'd better book it so we'll have an option between the two. Both look nice and in beautiful areas.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Hansel

I just booked a spot a Fall Creek Falls for our early August vacation, we drove up there too check it out and there are plenty of nice spot's and section "A" had a couple of tight one's, but we picked #92 which was nice and roomy for our camper and 2 vehicles. The bath house in section "A" is like brand new and that area has a large open field and some playground equipment, there is a golf course right next too the park, but the only downside is it's about an hour from Chattanooga where all the shops and stuff like that are. But it is definitely camping
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
C130

We decided on Fall Creek Falls, B section, site B102. It's a pretty big spot I think but I've heard the B section has some steep slopes the the sites. I've heard A section is very good but I wanted full hookups and it was the only spot left. We'll be there in the middle of June.