Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
homer3

Trailer Axles

Question: I have not done this to many times however, When I'm pulling my 5ver and making a sharp, i.e. putting the King Pin in a position where the 5ver si towing at angles over the bed of the truck while making a U-turn the trailer wheels seem to be almost cockeyed of each other. Is this normal. I've seen commercial tractor trailer driver make this maneuver quite frequently. I do not want to tweak the axles. Please advise.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

That is normal with dual axle trailers. Watch others using tight turns at boat ramps or camps spots you will see the same thing. If you took a photo and showed it to most people they would think the axles are bent or something.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:22 PM   #3
theeyres

Somebody else can probably give a much better explanation than I can, but trailers don't have differentials on the axles that allow the wheels to turn at different speeds so when you make a really tight turn something has to give because all four wheels are turning at different speeds. Thus the distortion in the tires; that's what gives.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #4
GaryWT

There is not a single turning pont, there are 2 so one is pulling and one is pushing. This is one of the reason you have to keep checking the lug nuts.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:19 AM   #5
bsmith0404

as others have said, yes perfectly normal. Trailer axles are actually designed to do this, if they didn't flex, all of the torque would be placed on the suspension and your spring shackles would buckle. It does look strange when you see the entire wheel bent at an angle, but the only time you need to worry is if they don't straighten back up when you get back straight and the pressure is unloaded. This just gives you some idea of the amount of abuse your trailer tires go through as well. If you watch, they actually slide across the road surface when you're turning.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #6
cabinfever

It does not happen as much with a TT or 5er, but with my work trailer I back up and make so many tight turns I wear out the tires in about 2 years (about 12K miles), if I'm lucky. Also, the rear axle wears faster than the front due to the way it pivots.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
1995Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeyres View Post
Somebody else can probably give a much better explanation than I can, but trailers don't have differentials on the axles that allow the wheels to turn at different speeds so when you make a really tight turn something has to give because all four wheels are turning at different speeds. Thus the distortion in the tires; that's what gives.
All four wheels spin independently of each other. They are NOT live axles. You are correct in that there is no differential, but there is also nothing connecting the left tire to the right tire except the axle housing itself.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
1995Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote