Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
matty8734

LED hazard light Issue?

Hey guys I have a 2004 F250 and a 2014 carbon 31. All of my lights work on the trailer with the exception of the Hazard lights. The lights on the trailer are all LED's my brake/turn/run lights function normally but the hazards only flash on my truck not the trailer. Camping world says I need an LED flasher...my question is isint the same flasher used for all or is there a separate flasher for the hazards from the turn signals?
matty8734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #2
spicercars

Some trucks do have two flashers one for the signals and one for the emergency flashers. I don't know about your Ford but if the flashers on the truck work I would think the flasher was OK unless they are flashing really fast. I would check the plug on the back of the truck and make sure you have power there with the flashers on. If the flashers on the truck flash really fast with the trailer plugged in then you need a heavy duty flasher. When the flashers on the truck flash really fast it won't allow power to the camper to make them flash. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Not sure if your truck has two different flashers or not, but the flashers are designed to either blink faster or not at all when the current draw drops. Since LED lights only draw about 10% of a regular bulb, the flasher is fooled into thinking there isn't anything present. You need a new flasher that works with LEDs. Keep in mind, with that type of flasher, your turn signals may not flash faster when you have a burned out bulb, you need to go back to checking your bulbs.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM   #4
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Hold the phone.......Do not waste your money on a LED Flasher. They are only needed if converting a conventional bulbed truck to LED.

So the truck is working normal correct? Then your flasher is ok. The camper gets the signal from the truck.

If you have access to a second trailer give it a try and see what happens. Going to bet everything works as designed. If not then it's a truck problem.

So now you need to look at the trailer wiring. Funny thing is your turn signals and brake lights work correctly. Which means they are wired correctly.

What I am going to guess at is the possibility of a bad ground.......if you were close I would have it fixed quickly. You just need to trouble shoot it one circuit at a time. Start at the truck and work your way back. Look inside the trailer plugs also....may have a crossed wire.

I have 4 different trailers with LED lights (both factory and aftermarket) and pull them with Fords from 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2009, 2012 and 2015 without issues. My Raptor and my Wells Cargo trailer are100% factory LED lights.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:15 AM   #5
jsmith948

Agree with the above. But, don't the turn signals and 4-ways use the same bulb? I would have thought that, if the turn signals work, the 4-ways would work?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Agree with the above. But, don't the turn signals and 4-ways use the same bulb? I would have thought that, if the turn signals work, the 4-ways would work?
X2 Left turn + Right turn = Hazard ..... should work unless weak ground
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Trailer wiring and TV electronics can be a strange issue to deal with. IMO, I'd spend $4 on a new plug in flasher to eliminate the possibility before I start chasing down a possible ground issue. If we were talking about a $50 part that was difficult to change out, then maybe I'd do some wire chasing. Worst case, you have a spare flasher laying around that you won't be able to remember where you put when you need it.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
byrdr1

Jump your 7 pin plug with a flasher to see if they work in that mode.
Kind of like the folks who jump the pins so their running lights stay on for that afterglow effect..
randy
ps use a fused link to make sure.

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:09 PM   #9
hankaye

Howdy All;

Fully agree with Post #4 and the 'other Hank', same bulbs for stop and
turn as Flasher. Bought a new Cargo trailer last Summer, plugged in and
all the LEDs worked just fine. I also have a 2004 F-250... again, SEE POST
#4.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #10
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Thanks all

I remember when Dad hooked the trailer up and the lights blinked so slow from having to much load.LEDs have about eliminated that problem.

The flasher is a 20 dollar item but that is not where the issue is. If truck is normal then it's a trailer problem. I have seen where a strand of wire in the plug caused the issue....but this sounds more of a ground issue. An easy way to check is to take your jumper cables and find some good clean metal on truck and trailer about frame level and hook them up. This will show you quickly whats up.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #11
matty8734

So I have traced the problem to not having power to the trailer plug when the key is off. with the key off I get no turn signals/hazards or 12v charge, just brake lights. When I turn the Key on in the truck eveything functions normally...turn/brake 4-ways and 12v charge....
Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
hankaye

matty8734, Howdy;

Absolutely amazing what the application of some electricity can do ...
Glad it was such an easy fix.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty8734 View Post
So I have traced the problem to not having power to the trailer plug when the key is off. with the key off I get no turn signals/hazards or 12v charge, just brake lights. When I turn the Key on in the truck eveything functions normally...turn/brake 4-ways and 12v charge....
Hazards should still work with key off......I will double check with mine over the weekend and to make sure. I will also pull flasher relays and see what I get.

Brake lights and hazards are a must with key off. No turn signals is correct.

So now we know it's not a ground issue or an LED issue. Did you check your fuses under the hood driver's side. There should be no open spaces. This is the power center for your trailer. You may have a bad power relay for your trailer in that fuse box also.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
spicercars

Good thing you didn't spend a bunch of money on parts that you didn't need. Sometimes if you just take time and check everything you find the problem before spending money. Good job
Old 02-01-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
denverpilot

Sounds like someone wired your ground through a switched ground circuit in the ingnition or through a switched relay. Could easily check that by grounding the trailer to the truck while the hazards are on and the ignition is off.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #16
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Sounds like someone wired your ground through a switched ground circuit in the ingnition or through a switched relay. Could easily check that by grounding the trailer to the truck while the hazards are on and the ignition is off.

The funny thing is it all should be plug and play....No splicing or cutting wires anywhere. That includes the brake controller too. Have seen some real hack jobs because folks don't know it's all there.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #17
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy w/ Big Toys View Post
The funny thing is it all should be plug and play....No splicing or cutting wires anywhere. That includes the brake controller too. Have seen some real hack jobs because folks don't know it's all there.

On REALLY old vehicles it wasn't. But on modem vehicles, yes. You order the correct harness and plug it right in under the dash and it's done if the vehicle had a trailer connector already. Can usually get that as a kit ready to connect, too.

On even newer vehicles you want the factory controller because it integrates the trailer brakes into the vehicle's anti-lock braking system and directional control computers.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 PM   #18
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Ford has been 100% plug and play for sure since the '99 Powerstrokes. I use to joke with folks about installing brake controllers for $100 bucks. On the 99 ups most did not know the truck came pre wired and most did not know what the pigtail was for.

I won't even tell you what I use to ask for doing block heaters for the 99 up diesels......... Some folks......LOL
Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #19
matty8734

Ya I still cant seem to find a solution, I get nothing at the trailer plug when the key is off. Key on, and everything works as it is should. I have no blown or missing fuses and nothing on my truck has been "spliced" in, the truck is all factory for the trailer wiring setup, all I did was add a brake controller which as prevoiusly stated "plugs" in....
Old 02-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Matty,

Have you unplugged the brake controller to see if they work without it in the system? There may be something in the controller that is shorting hazard flasher signal to ground within that "box" ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote