Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
jbreech

2014 Fuzion 331 Air conditioner

We just went on are first camping trip with the new camper.
And we had the first really hot day of the summer. And the air
conditioner that over the bed would not keep the main living room
cool . Is any body else having this problem ? Just could not feel
any cool air coming out any of the air duct. But when we turn on
the one in garage we could feel some cool air and had to run both
just to stay comfortable. Never did get cold and we had both turned
up on high.
jbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Your problem may be due to the duct work coming from the A/C. In some cases, the ducts are not properly joined to the vents and cold air is escaping into the attic.

If you do a forum search (type in A/C duct work), you will find numerous posts and threads about this issue and what others have done to correct the problem.

Essentially, you will need to start your inspection of the ducts right at the A/C and proceed to the bedroom area checking for ducts that are not connected or have come loose.

Try the search, read through the various posts (not all of them deal with this problem but the majority do) and do your examination of the duct work. You'll need a roll (or more) of aluminum tape to carry out the fix.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #3
jbreech

Thank you i will do a search .
jbreech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
dunerider

I have 2014 331 fuzion. try this, air conditioner over bed close air vents then open air vents in ceiling they turn to the left to open. By closing main ac vents this should force more air into ac duct.I tried this with my coach after reading your post seems to work. my first trip to Mojave Desert I had same problem. Hope this helps.
dunerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #5
Canam

Check the ducts for left over material from the manufacturing stage. I found roofing material from the vent cutouts that they left in the duct work, which blocked some of the airflow. Other than that, you have to close both the main vents on the A/C units (bedroom and garage), then open the screw vents in the main living area. When it is really hot we close the patio door to the garage and only cool the living room from both A/C units. The A/C units are a little small to cool the entire unit on a really hot day.

On a side note, if the waste water tanks don't work properly or the valves get stuck, check them for manufacturing debris as well. I found the cutouts in the tank when they installed the plumbing.
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #6
Bob Landry

There have been many posts about this and it seems to be a chronic problem with just about everything Keystone builds(and maybe the other manufacturers also).
The first step is to go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy a roll of foil duct tape. You will need it. Drop the lower panel and check for proper taping between the plenum box and where it connects to the ductwork. Any openings there will allow air to go into the ceiling and it does you no good there.
While you have the lower panel off... One area often overlooked is the divider between the discharge and return air side. If you stick your hand up into the return air side, you should feel NO direct cold air coming off the blower. If you do, find the leaks and tape them. You should feel only room temperature air in that chamber, no cold air at all.

Pull the ceiling registers off and look for openings in the ductwork that were not sealed. The openings for the registers are cut with a big hole saw and the duct is not sealed around the registers.
The ceiling resisters are laid out in a string. Go to the last one in the string and close off the duct so that no air gets past the last register in the string. I think the idea was the air would back pressure and be directed through that last duct but that simply is not the real world. Close it off.
All of this sounds like a lot of work, but it can all be done in far less than an afternoon and you don't need any mechanical skills to do it. It is time well spent.

We spent Memorial weekend on a Central Texas Lake and while our site was relatively shaded, it was still warm and humid. DW actually kept complaining about the trailer being too cold and I have a 277 with a single 15KBTU A/C.

Festus, this is a common topic and with warm weather upon us, you might consider making this a sticky. Many people have made similar comments, but that would put the info within easy reach of everyone.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #7
Stevn8r

Well, I completed the duct work taping on my Avalanche 361TG and I was ASTOUNDED by the lack of attention to detail by the manufacturer!! there were gaping holes through out the duct system and there was NO seal between the intake and blower side of either unit! It was about 1.5 inch gap!! When the dump vents were closed, all of the cold air was being sucked right back into the intake! I took about 1/2 roll of foil tape and sealed everything I could get to and now I have air flow out of my vents! Thanks for the advice y'all! I am very disappointed with that quality! That should have never made it to the dealership!
Stevn8r is offline   Reply With Quote