Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Terry&Carol

GPS with backup Camera

Lots of choices in GPS, Camping world with the RV friendly units, the big box stores. And the new trend of lifetime updates! But, has anyone run into a unit that has the backup camera built into it? Don't want to fill the dash up completely ( GPS, CB Radio, Tire monitoring, back up camera) or the DW won't be able to see to drive. LoL
Terry&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
MarkS

Check out the Garmin RV 760lmt. It will take a wired or wireless backup camera.

I have one and like the GPS, but have not added a camera yet.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Started out buying a Magellan think it was the 9165 from CW has video in that can be used for wired or wireless camera. Piece of junk, with zero minus one CS support. With out going into detail on trip to Texas last year stopped at a CW along the way in Tn and picked up the Good Sam Rand Mcnally. This unit also has the video in. May have thrown the Magellan out the window on the way, tried looking for it when got home can not find it

Really happy with Good Sam Unit, maps etc updated frequently. Remember these pieces of hardware are no better than the information on the maps. Rand Mcnally has been in map business for years. An extra feature I like is with this unit you can map your route using the routing software on the Good Sam website then down load it to the GPS. You can also down load from various websites such as rest areas,dump sites,etc into the GPS. Very Happy with it. But like all these crazy things, none of them are perfect.

Tired one day getting dark and after listening to the GPS for hours made a turn as instructed onto this road. Seen nothing for a few miles then finally I saw a horse drawn Amish buggy when I settle down and thought about what was the worse thing that can happen " Permanent site on an Amish Farm Road" Took over a day to wash off this rich Amish farm soil from truck and Raptor. Some wonder why would I ever need a 4X4
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry&Carol View Post
But, has anyone run into a unit that has the backup camera built into it?
Terry&Carol:
I think what PARAPTOR is trying to tell us is that the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS does not have, in answer to your question, a backup camera.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Terry&Carol:
I think what PARAPTOR is trying to tell us is that the Good Sam Rand McNally GPS does not have, in answer to your question, a backup camera.
I do not know of a GPS unit on the market that has wireless camera circuitry in side. Both GPS units I owned have a "video in" jack and I think all the other manufactures are the same. Now if you have a hardwired backup camera you just plug the video cable from the camera into the video in jack DONE. If the backup camera is wireless you will need a separate component called a RF receiver which picks up the radio waves from the camera demodulates the signal and sends the video out on a plug that gets plugged into the video in of the GPS.

For the Magellan that receiver is about the size of a small bar of soap. Again both Magellan and Good Sam have the video in jack.

Festus2, if you or any other member find my Magellan along the road its yours

I hope I answered your question

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Bombfixer

I don't know of any unit with a built in backup cam. But the add on camera for the Garmin RV 760 has good reviews. I bought a quality back up camera that is Bluetooth and integrates into my onboard display on my 2014 Ram.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombfixer View Post
I don't know of any unit with a built in backup cam. But the add on camera for the Garmin RV 760 has good reviews. I bought a quality back up camera that is Bluetooth and integrates into my onboard display on my 2014 Ram.

Which camera is it and is it wired or wireless? If wireless what is distance between camera and receiver and how do you like the reception?

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
sagebel

I have the Rand McNally and just bought a cheap wired camera from eBay. The camera has a male RCA connector. I bought an RCA to coax adapter and will run coax to the front of the trailer and then from the hitch to the cab where I will use a 2.5mm to RCA cable out of the GPS and then another RCA to coax adapter. I just found the 2.5mm to RCA cable last night online so I need to order that soon. Power for the camera is coming from the constant 12v from the TV.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #9
Bombfixer

It is a Rupse. It is wireless into the cab, a distance of about 48 feet. There is a receiver under the dash and from there wired into the display screen. I didn't do the wiring, I had it installed. When I activate the Cargo Camera on the display screen, I get a window that pops up when the 5er is attached that offers me the choice between the Cargo Camera or the RV camera. The camera comes with an external monitor, but the shop where I bought it redirected the output to the vehicle display center.

The reception is real good, but I still use a ground guide with a 2 way radio when backing up.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #10
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
I have the Rand McNally and just bought a cheap wired camera from eBay. The camera has a male RCA connector. I bought an RCA to coax adapter and will run coax to the front of the trailer and then from the hitch to the cab where I will use a 2.5mm to RCA cable out of the GPS and then another RCA to coax adapter. I just found the 2.5mm to RCA cable last night online so I need to order that soon. Power for the camera is coming from the constant 12v from the TV.
Where did you mount your camera? I am trying to avoid running wires between the Raptor and TV, if I can. Can not beat wired installation less worry about reception

Thanks

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombfixer View Post
It is a Rupse. It is wireless into the cab, a distance of about 48 feet. There is a receiver under the dash and from there wired into the display screen. I didn't do the wiring, I had it installed. When I activate the Cargo Camera on the display screen, I get a window that pops up when the 5er is attached that offers me the choice between the Cargo Camera or the RV camera. The camera comes with an external monitor, but the shop where I bought it redirected the output to the vehicle display center.

The reception is real good, but I still use a ground guide with a 2 way radio when backing up.
Will have to look at that, good reception at 48' wireless would be good for me. I am getting a little confused your camera goes to vehicle display and not Garmin GPS? You have two cameras installed one in garage (Cargo) and one somewhere on the outside of the RAPTOR?

Would rather go wireless if I can bought the Magellan backup camera with the Magellan GPS but have not tried with Good Sam unit. Tried with Magellan with zero luck totally unpredictable at times not good reception 10 feet away Magellan replaced camera once already keep going in and out.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
Bombfixer

Paraptor you are correct. My Raptor rear view goes to the vehicle display. My tow vehicle has two cameras installed as factory equipment. There is one camera that is a pure backup camera. It only comes in with Tranny in Reverse. It displays in a corner of the rear view mirror. The other camera is contains in the 3rd brake light over the bed. It looks down into the cargo area. It comes on whenever I select the Cargo Camera on the video display. When I added the rear view camera on the Raptor, they wired it into this circuit. So now when I select Cargo Camera I get a window with two choices: Cargo Cam or Raptor Cam.

My tow vehicle is a 2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW. It has a large display screen centered in the console.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
sagebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Where did you mount your camera? I am trying to avoid running wires between the Raptor and TV, if I can. Can not beat wired installation less worry about reception

Thanks
Mine is mounted just below the three running lights. The only reason I am going wired is cost since my trailer isn't long enough to be on the edge of good reception for a wireless unit.

Tags
gps/back up camera