Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
Sherwood

Inconsiderate truckers

Why is it that no matter what vehicle I am in, I always flash the truckers that pass me to let them know they are clear to move back in the slow lane but when I am pulling my 35 footer, only 1 or 2 out of 10 give me the same courtesy? But I observe them giving each other that very same courtesy at least 9 out of 10 times. Any truckers out there care to enlighten me on the inconsistencies? Mind you that before I reach the front of their truck, I already have on my blinker so they know I want to get over.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #2
bg71361

Because you're not a trucker! It's a special club you know
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Sherwood

I was kinda thinking the same thing but hoping that wasn't the case. Kinda silly.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 04-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
TAZ23

Been driving for over thirty years. 99% of the folks out there do not understand what the flashing of head lights by or for a truck means. Try putting your turn signal on when you are ready to move back in to the right lane, not while passing the truck. (do you know how many times I see cars just driving along with the turn signal on?) Also remember it takes a semi 3X as long to stop as a car on dry roads and the distance between trucks on the road is plenty big to fit your rig into,it does not leave the needed margine of safty the truck needs in a sudden stop. The truck driver can see over the cars on the road but not your RV so he has to back off from you to adjust following distance if you move in to quickly. Just my opinion from my own experiance, your milage may vary.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
hankaye

Sherwood, Howdy;

Was only on the road for a wee bit over 10 years but I'll
X2 what TAZ23 said,
OTR Drivers have little faith in 4 wheelers some keep the turn signal on for
days (or so it seems), most frequently they drop in with almost no room for a
gnat with a swollen thyroid. Then there are the ones that slide to the right side
of the lane, effectively disappearing so when the truck starts to pull back over
all of a sudden WHOOPS!!! there it is() and the 4 wheeler thinks the driver
did it on purpose.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I do flash them and do not know why they normally do not in return. I do know that DOT says they must be able to speak and understand English to have a CDL but, many contacts in the last 10 years or so, the drivers either do not want to speak english to the police or cannot. Anything more than asking for CDL, cargo list, wheres your off load location and not much else is understood. I will keep doing it because I think we should.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Of course this is not the opinion of every trucker, but I was talking to a couple one day and they mentioned how upset they were about the fact that they have to have a CDL, but anybody can buy an RV and just hit the road. I'm sure there is some resentment from some out there. We just need to continue to be courteous and earn their respect.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:10 AM   #8
Wing-in-it

Being a trucker since 1976, I can tell you a lot of folks who flash their lights can take it two ways, one is to say it's safe to come on over, the other is to say I'm coming through don't you dare put that rig in front of me.

So I will not flash lights anymore. It's just too much to worry about nowadays, They stress safety over everything else where I work, which is a great policy. But any communication that can be misinterpreted is not going to happen with me when I drive.

Also remember this, most truck drivers are professional and will heed their path for others to be courteous.

JMHO

Mark

2015 Fuzion 325
2020 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 HO Aisin
Chesterfield, VA.
Wing-in-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
jsmith948

It's just the way the world is today. Started driving OTR in 1979. We were considered the 'knights of the road'. Heck they wrote songs about us! But society has lost much of its civility. Not long ago, I held the door for a "lady" at the market. She told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't need ANY Man to hold the door! But, I digress. Courtesy on the highways seems to have suffered as well. I always appreciated when an RV would give me the lights when I passed driving my truck. Even though sometimes they would do so before it was safe, or they would flash their brights in my mirrors instead of blinking their lights off momentarily. Today, as we travel, I try to remember how it was when I still drove truck. I give them the space they need and respect that they need to run at a hill and even though I'll pass them on the upside, I'll be in their way on the downside. JMHO - FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
Sherwood

Some great input that I appreciate. I will, however, continue to flash my lights at the truckers no matter if it gets reciprocated. It just sounds like some more overall civility on the roadways needs to be used by all.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
Old 04-13-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Javi

I drove off and on for years and most of the time I flash four wheelers, RV's, and truckers alike. I also pull over to the shoulder on two lane roads when it is safe for those stacked up behind me to pass. I don't camp in the left lane or the middle lane, it ain't the way I want to be treated and I hope others will catch on. But if they don't at least I've done what I could to make their day a little easier.

It doesn't bother me when a trucker fails to flash me, and it won't stop me from continuing to be courteous.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
It's just the way the world is today. Started driving OTR in 1979. We were considered the 'knights of the road'. Heck they wrote songs about us! But society has lost much of its civility. Not long ago, I held the door for a "lady" at the market. She told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't need ANY Man to hold the door!
I'm afraid I woulda let go of that door and let it smack her, what with that attitude. Heck, I've held doors open for men because I was the first to the door, and I've had men do the same for me in return (most often when it's a case of one of us coming out and the other going in, but also if they have their hands full, etc). It's just common courtesy (I'm a guy, btw).

As for the topic - I blink my lights for truckers, even when I'm in a car. Both to indicate that it's safe to move back to the right lane and for when I'm in the left lane and they want over, to let them know that I've slowed down and they can safely come on over. I've never driven a semi, but have driven rigs that were a tad over 65' long when hitched and I know what it's like, and appreciate it when others flash their lights to let me know it's safe to move over. I've even been known to flash lights for oncoming traffic when there's a cop waiting for 'em - something that used to be commonplace, but now I rarely see.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #13
bstarz40

also when you or a trucker flashes their lights especialy high beam at night, will blind the driver looking in their mirrows. So please off on with the lights. not high beams.
bstarz40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:04 PM   #14
Outbackmel

Rules of the road Atlanta

Not that HOTlanta was not nutso enough while driving let alone a fifth wheel or TT, new rules are making it more likely for a driver to cut you off while you are towing. New rules DO NOT PERTAIN TO TOLL LANE. If a driver is in the left lane and going the SPEED LIMIT or a few over, it is now required they move to an inner lane and allow the faster (speeder) to pass. If they fail to do so, here come the lights and they get cited. OK, so now you do the speed limit and a clown comes up on you at 80mph out of nowhere, you have to abandon your lane (if it is the left lane) and allow him to go by.

How does this affect an RV'er? you ask. Let's say you are near the far right and lanes change to double exit ramp lanes. You now need to be aware that IF the above were to occur, the driver forced to exit the left lane could wind up cutting you off. Most will say, well, Mr. smarty pants, I just drive in the far right. I say, not in Atlanta you don't or you may be forced to exit and be on your way to Alabama, versus, say Florida.

We are transcending more to Autobahn style rules, where you are required to move and allow someone to pass. Works well there because trucks stay right
and do not stay in any outer lane except to pass and get right. I returned from Denmark and Germany last fall and rented a car while there. No issues. BUT, in two countries I saw MAYBE 6 total campers, all smaller TT's, no fifth wheels.

All I am saying is when in metro areas like Atlanta, be on top of your game. I live 25 miles north of the city and I leave at O Dark Thirty AM, and beat everyone to work OR leave at 10am which puts me thru the city after rush hour and before lunch. Pretty much apply this to most major cities unless they have a bypass.

RARELY EVER HAVE ANY INSTANCE WITH A DISCOURTEOUS COMMERCIAL TRUCK DRIVER. When in doubt, let'em go!!
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #15
BobnLee

Driving trucks in the early 60's with my older brother who taught me the ropes and I know there are a few other two stickers out there, but back in those days every one flashed. Every one looked after each other and they were a pretty tight unit and professional. When I began driving full time when I retired from my real job, I found 1 in ten flashed. Its a new breed out there It will be the old timers that still remember their manners when on the road not the new ones coming out of driving schools.
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #16
BobnLee

Outbackmel. We have been through Atlanta four times now 4 north and 4 south. Absolutely love that City. Been through in rush hour no problems and no hurry. If you can drive through Toronto in rush hour traffic, there isnt any city in North America that you cant handle just gotta be on your game lots of space and read the signs should get you on the way to Macon
BobnLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #17
Hoojs12840

As someone in the trucking industry for 13yrs, both as a driver and in management I can say I'm more often than not embarrassed by the lack of professionalism we show. Tailgating, speeding, abrupt lane changes, etc. I flash lights and use the CB whenever I can to help. I'm courteous at truckstop and don't take up truck parking at crowded truckstops. I have options, trucks generally don't.

Spend more than 5 minutes at a truckstop you will hang your head in shame. Seldom does one look like hell and drive well. We never had many if any clean (inside and out) trucks in our body shop.

Truckers always talk about respect, yet a lot don't respect themselves. I can't listen to XM truckers channel without my blood boiling, the hosts just keep promoting bad habits/agenda's.

That said, I've rarely had issue with RV drivers on the road. Mostly the occasional wing nut going 85mph with a 40ft TT, swearing in and out)
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #18
Outbackmel

Bob n Lee

I have been in Toronto in rush hour. Have driven in almost every major us city. I traveled all over the US for 38 years and rented cars in every city. Driven in many foreign capital cities. Driven the autobahn many times at 100mph plus in cars and on motorcycles. In 55 years, never had an accident. Had a few speeding tickets!
What I was conveying is Atlanta JUST changed. Car drivers doing the speed limit or slightly over can and will be cited for slowing traffic flow if in the left lane. This new rule will cause abrupt lane changes and cut offs.
Just say'n.....be extra aware in atlanta.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #19
limey

I think you will find that many States have a rule that states the left lane is a "passing" lane, and to move right if you are not passing. On 3-lane roads you can stay in the center lane, but only if you are consistently going faster than vehicles in the right lane. This method works very well in Europe - but there it is typically illegal to pass on the right. Many countries will give you a ticket for passing on the right faster than they would issue a speeding ticket!

You should also know that, in many states, ANY vehicle towing a trailer is under the same rules as a truck! This includes lane restrictions and speed limits! I was unaware that this is true in Michigan until I obtained my Chauffeur's license!

And would somebody PLEASE start a campaign to educate drivers on the proper procedure to merge on to a highway! Driving back from Florida last week I encountered at least ten drivers who pulled on to the highway BEFORE they accelerated to highway speed, typically forcing me to brake to avoid them!

Eric & Mary (& George)
Montana 3150RL
Dodge RAM 2500, Cummins
Pentwater, Michigan
limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #20
Ken / Claudia

Here us cops call some drivers "left lane rangers", those are the ones who drive at the speed limit according to their speedometer which is not acturate on most vehicles and stay in the left lane.. They get folks who tailgate them and everybody gets mad. Just move over when it is safe and let them pass. Yes the vehicle that passed is speeding, let the cops deal with that. Here no vehicles pulling any trailer, any vehicle or combo vehicles that is over 10,000lbs is not allowed to use the left lane unless there are special reasons in that area. Any vehicle that has 3 vehicles or more slacked up behind it is inpeding and must move to the right. On the metro freeways failure to drive in the right lane,(meaning lane to the right) is a popular cite. Lastly many believe they have the right of way when merging onto the freeway, you do not, the freeway traffic has the right of way. I agree way to many drivers do not use on ramps correctly, they also cause alot of crashs when they will not speed up or they brake near the merge points.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote