Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxfishing View Post
I made a front mount winch set up & ramps with supports for the back. The winch cable pulls it up the ramps & onto the roof where the trailer has a positive stop on the platform I made & then I strap it all down. I put the winch in reverse & push it backwards till the tires hit the ramp & then let the winch handle the weight to lower it. I'll have to look to find the pics of that. Sorry, not trying to hi jack this post. Just trying to give another option!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A video of this in action would be awesome.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:57 PM   #22
zrxfishing

I don't have video, but here's a few action shots my wife took & one where you can see the winch in. I made the winch set up so I pull a pin & lift it off the stand, it plugs in to a harness to the battery, & one pin holds it in the front hitch

Old 04-27-2014, 04:04 PM   #23
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Like button
Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #24
Hoojs12840

"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it."

I'm upset with myself for not yet figuring out how to take my canoe with me....I feel so inadequate......
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoojs12840 View Post
"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it."

I'm upset with myself for not yet figuring out how to take my canoe with me....I feel so inadequate......
Just speechless, which is something for me
I am sure you will figure it out "Sky is the limit" at least I think
just dieing to see where the canoe will end up.
Send Pics.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM   #26
grampscamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrxfishing View Post

I don't have video, but here's a few action shots my wife took & one where you can see the winch in. I made the winch set up so I pull a pin & lift it off the stand, it plugs in to a harness to the battery, & one pin holds it in the front hitch

When I first saw the photo I thought you must have used Photoshop.
I'm extremely impressed. Very ingenious.

Getting back to the original post I too want to add a hitch to the back of our 5th wheel. I plan to tow a single axle box trailer & ATV. No more than 2,000 lbs. I checked laws where I live & should be no problem. I plan to only tow it locally. Dealer has done several and offered to do it at a reasonable price.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #27
Hoojs12840

Do you have a brother????

Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #28
gkainz

Re: not being able to back up a double tow rig, I used to think that as well. Last year I watched two rigs pull into the campground - both pulling large 5ers with large fishing boats behind them. They backed into a 45* offset camping spot, dropped the boat, pulled forward and then backed the 5er in alongside the boat. I was impressed.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #29
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampscamper View Post
..... Dealer has done several and offered to do it at a reasonable price.
Local fab shop did mine. $225 and was done in 1/2 day. I'm happy.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
Re: not being able to back up a double tow rig, I used to think that as well. Last year I watched two rigs pull into the campground - both pulling large 5ers with large fishing boats behind them. They backed into a 45* offset camping spot, dropped the boat, pulled forward and then backed the 5er in alongside the boat. I was impressed.
In the Air Force, my troops towed munitions to the flightline using Case tractors with three trailers (with steerable front axles) behind them. While I could only "wish" for the skills, several of my troops could back all three trailers and position them properly for disconnect. It was all I could "muster" to get a second trailer backed 8 or 10 feet before it was sideways and impossible to back any further. There is a certain skill in what you witnessed and those "lucky few" who have mastered it are to be placed in "awe" status LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #31
Jager

ZRXFISHING --> Wow! Holy cow! You are the man. Hats off. Now that is motivation.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #32
jumpy

Tow behind a toyhauler

This looks kinda like my combination except I tow a extra trailer for the smaller razor. In Idaho you can pull two trailers just have to be under 75 ft. mine runs 74 ft. here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	6039  
jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:17 AM   #33
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
This looks kinda like my combination except I tow a extra trailer for the smaller razor. In Idaho you can pull two trailers just have to be under 75 ft. mine runs 74 ft. here is a pic.
Looks good. I want a rig like yours. What is in the toy hauler if the razor is in the trailer?

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 AM   #34
Jager

+1, I'd like to know what your hauler is? KW? Year, make model if you care to share? Did you have to modify it to drop it lower to get under the 5th? Did you drop an axle?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #35
leonandlisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBrooks View Post
Ocho,

I've done this with both toyhaulers I've had (incl the one I still have). Yes, the welding shop that installed the hitch receiver had to add bracing and modify the stock bumper for it to fit. I've towed a flat aluminum trailer with two ATVs on it many miles behind my toyhaulers without a problem.

Steve
Any chance you could post a picture of how the hitch is tied in underneath?

Leon
leonandlisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #36
SJBrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonandlisa View Post
Any chance you could post a picture of how the hitch is tied in underneath?

Leon
I'll do so as soon as I can.

Steve
Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM   #37
jumpy

I have a 4 seater in the TH and a 2 seater in the little trailer.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #38
jumpy

1996 T300 KW turned up to 330 HP. Custom made bed and sleeper mounted to the cab like the newer trucks are. The sleeper has a jack knife sofa in it that seats 4 people or can be made into a bed. I had to make an adaptor for the fifthwheel hitch to go to a ball. The rest of the hitch is factor. I made no changes to the suspension running low profile 22.5 rubber. That Kodiack looks nice I would like to have one of those but it would be to long for my setup.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #39
Jager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpy View Post
1996 T300 KW turned up to 330 HP. Custom made bed and sleeper mounted to the cab like the newer trucks are. The sleeper has a jack knife sofa in it that seats 4 people or can be made into a bed. I had to make an adaptor for the fifthwheel hitch to go to a ball. The rest of the hitch is factor. I made no changes to the suspension running low profile 22.5 rubber. That Kodiak looks nice I would like to have one of those but it would be to long for my setup.

To the OP - sorry to bud in your thread.

Jumpy - Yes I like the Kodiak. SUPER road stability and turns far tighter than my 3/4 ton truck. I do wish it rode a little softer and had a touch more power. Otherwise it is perfect. I have considered moving up to a semi but I had to have a custom hauler bed built for my Kodiak in order to get it under the camper. I don't see how to get a semi under there. My Kodiak is also 4 x 4 which has come in VERY handy. Not sure I can give that and the turning radius up for the semi. But I keep thinking about it.

Not sure what you mean about mine being too long? I would bet my truck is shorter than yours. I have a 60 CA (cab / axle ratio).

Very nice setup.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM   #40
DiverB

What's your guys thoughts on having a hitch put on the back of a Fuzion 371 or 331? I'd like to be able to tow jet skis or a small boat behind the toy hauler. I haven't seen under the rear of one of these trailers to see if I can have a hitch installed.
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote