Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
Bear

How can I fill the fresh water tank in my 2013 Mountaineer

I have problems filling my fresh water tank, There is a valve on the opening on my tank, it is okay when I fill it with the water hose, But I am afraid if I run out of water in a provincial park, I cant fill it, with a pail of water, the pump comes on, it takes hours to empty one pail in the tank.
Any suggestions?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

The provincial park probably has a central water supply or several taps throughout the campsite. When you are running low on water, can you move your rig from the site to a place within the park where you can hook up a hose and fill your FW tank that way?

If you can't and have to use a bucket, get a large funnel and pour the water from the bucket into the potable water inlet using the funnel. It won't take anywhere near an hour to empty one pail into the tank - just a couple of minutes.

In some parks, there may be one or more water supply stations that you can't put the female end of a hose on but if you use a "water thief" you will be able to hook the hose up to the water tap. CW and other RV supply places have these in stock.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
Bear

There is no open entry in the fresh water tank, to fill it, we did have one on my Golden Falcon,This mountaineer has a valve inside the opening where the water is pumped up in the tank, but it takes for hours to empty one pail.
We have asked the Dealer but they have no answer either, and Keystone
replied "ask the Dealer", I want to take the valve out but I don't know or this can be done.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not familiar with the Mountaineer and how to fill its FW tank. I do, however, find it puzzling as to why there is not the usual potable water fill where you simply insert the end of a hose, turn on the tap and let the water pour into the tank. It does seems strange that you would have to pump water into the tank rather than filling it manually with a regular garden hose.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
BlindGuyNAR

Hook the hose to the water inlet and turn the fresh fill valve. It fills from water hose inlet. Needs pressure though. Maybe you could rig a pump if you don't have a pressurized source?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
Bear

[QUOTE=Festus2;85265]I'm not familiar with the Mountaineer and how to fill its FW tank. I do, however, find it puzzling as to why there is not the usual potable water fill where you simply insert the end of a hose, turn on the tap and let the water pour into the tank. It does seems strange that you would have to pump water into the tank rather than filling it manually with a regular garden hose.[/QUOT

When I bought this unit I assumed it was the same as my Golden Falcon 5 th wheel, If I had known this I would NOT have bought this Mountaineer.I quess I should have checked but didn't

Thank you
Old 07-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGuyNAR View Post
Hook the hose to the water inlet and turn the fresh fill valve. It fills from water hose inlet. Needs pressure though. Maybe you could rig a pump if you don't have a pressurized source?
I quess That would be the only solution, I have to see what kind of pump I can buy, that would be strong enough to provide pressure.
Thanks.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #8
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I quess That would be the only solution, I have to see what kind of pump I can buy, that would be strong enough to provide pressure.
Thanks.
I guess the easy answer is an RV water pump. They provide between 25 - 40 psi @ 3 - 4 gpm. Which would be plenty. 12v so you can use the house batt for power.

I'd let the pump rest every 5-10 mins as I doubt it's rated for 100% duty cycle.

If someone where to be handy a bypass system kinda like the hot water tank bypass to pump in water to the fresh tank using the existing rv pump wouldn't be hard. Just a couple of valves and 'T' connections I'd think. Then just flip a few valves and turn on pump to fill tank.
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
PND

What model Mountaineer is this??? My 2013 Mountaineer has a hookup for filling the tank. If the problem is there is no pressurized water where you are at, you can use a drill pump as an alternate pressurizing source. As long as you have several batteries, a drill pump dosen't need a rest period.

PND
PND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Festus2
Site Team

I'm not sure about Ontario's Provincial Parks but if they are similar to ours in BC, there are no electrical hookups available. Many have pressurized water at several locations throughout the campground and some have the "old" hand pumps as the only means of obtaining water.

Without electricity, it would be difficult for the OP to use drill pumps or other types of electrically operated ones unless, of course, he has a generator.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #11
PND

A drill pump I was referring to can be run with a cordless drill motor, as long as you have several batteries. Sounds like your campgrounds up north are, should I say, "rustic"!! Seems a generator is a must.

PND
2012 2500 HD Silverado
2013 358RLT Mountaineer
23 months to retire!!!
PND is offline   Reply With Quote