Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
lucemw

Rear View Camera

Going to install camera using the center running light on top. Has anyone attemped this before? I have a new 2013 Cougar and would be nice to have.
lucemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
rjsurfer

You going wireless to screen?

Ron W.
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
lucemw

I going to hard wire the system. Going to use the center running light and run control cable down the inside wall in rear of fifth wheel than run cable under the frame and up.
Any thoughts ?
lucemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
cjm

Did the exact same thing. Used a waterproof connector mounted in the bumper right next to the lights connector. Then ran it to my in dash video in the truck. I had to use a lock-pick (google lock-pick video if you need) to add the extra video in to the system. Now I can switch between the back up camera on the truck and the one on the trailer. It works like a charm.
cjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #5
richf28

I have a Pyle backup camera system. It has capabilities of 2 cameras. I mounted one on the rear of the truck above the license plate. The view is ideal and its perfect for hitching up. The second camera I mounted under the rear window of the camper and hard wired it along the frame, and powered it off the tail lights since I always tow with my lights on. Works great for passing on the highway and backing into to your campsite.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
dacar

back up camera

did it with hard wire camera - position the camera below the light enough so it does not reflect in the lens. used a 7 pin connector to connect to the truck and right above the battery
dacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Loriv247

We have a backup camera but its on the tailgate which makes it useless when its flipped down, so hubby and I figured out we could just use our iPhones on FaceTime. I just bungee cord my phone to the hitch and he has his phone in the car. Much easier than barking commands from behind the truck! It's a little redneck but its free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Jim Dow

Rearview Camera Alternatives

The iPhone with FaceTime will work; but there's an iPhone app that uses Bluetooth which will work when you don't have cell coverage. The app is P2P Video Chat; and it works just fine up to a range of about 50'. Short term service only.

However, for the longer term service, I'm building my own wireless rearview camera with a range of up to 300' - as advertised. So far I've put about $120 into it with about another $50 to go. It works fine on a test bench - refer to pics. Check out my previous posts. This is a work still in progress - for about another week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video System.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	3978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Receiver.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	3979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Transmitter.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	3980  
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Jim Dow

Success!!!

OK, I've succeeded. The receiver/monitor work just fine in the TV with about a 200 foot range - so the transmitter/camera work just fine from the test bench. I'll install the transmitter/camera in the TT in about a week.

Camers - noname unit from Amazon.com $13
Monitor - noname unit from Amazon.com $27
Transmitter/Receiver - 2.4Ghz/5.8Ghz noname unit from Amazon.com $64. Both the transmitter/receiver require cigarette plug inverters (2) from Radio Shack about $50 total
Cigarette lighter plugs (2) for 12v power for camera/monitor from Radio Shack about $12
Assorted video cables/connectors from Radio Shack about $25 (40 feet) as I plan on mounting the transmitter in the front storage compartment.

Pretty cheap yet effective. Right now the wiring is not as clean as I will make it once I actually install it in the TV.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Jim Dow

Final Test & Installation - Wireless Rearview Camera

OK, I've succeeded!!! This weekend I went down to my TT and installed my DIY wireless rearview camera; and it worked just fine.

(1) Installed the camera on the back ladder with plastic wire-wraps.
(2) Ran the video cord (Radio Shack) and the 12V power wires along the bottom of the TT to the front storage compartment. NO NEW HOLES in TT.
(3) Installed the wireless video transmitter in the front storage compartment (back wall).
(4) Replaced my second 12V battery box (standard) with a marine battery box to gain access to a) two (+/-) terminals for final testing and b) a cigarette lighter plug outlet used to power the transmitter.
(5) Tested the wireless video receiver/monitor one last time in the front storage compartment; and then installed them in the TV.

Success!!! I was able to get about 300' range with very good reception.

The field of view of the camera is about 60 degrees or so; and the monitor even has a range grid for estimating distance behind the TT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Transmitter Mounted.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	4065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Receiver in Front Storage.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Battery Box.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	4067  
Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

I'm not sure I understand your "wireless" camera system. You have wires running from the camera on the rear of the RV under the RV all the way to the front storage unit and you have a "hard wired" monitor in the truck. The only thing that seems to be missing is the wire from the front storage compartment to the truck.

It doesn't seem to be a "plus plus" situation if you're wiring the RV with power cablees and video signal cables from one end to the other..... The benefit of a "wireless" system is that you install one part on one end and the other part on the other end and there's nothing between them ie: wireless. Seems to me what you have is a hard wired camera system and a hard wired monitor system that are "wireless" for about 10-15 feet in the middle ????

What's the difference (or the benefit) of your hybrid system over a simple "hard wired" system with a disconnect between the front storage compartment and the tow vehicle bumper?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
homer3

There are several units out there if you google. I live in CA. Went to TADI Bros in Los Angles and purchase a wireless system. I purchased a camera and 7" color monitor for inside tow vehicle. Camera has a 120' view behind 5th wheel. Easy ti install, using center top light on back wall of 5th wheel. PM me if you want John
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote