Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #1
Robby9

Slam hatches

My new Cougar 31SQB has slam hatches on the front pass through. The locks are a real pain. I have to repeatedly wiggle the key around before the locks eventually open. Is this normal or are they defective? Does it get better?
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
chartrand

I had the same problem with mine. I used some silicone spray and worked it in some. Problem solved... Ended up doing the rest of my exterior locks as well.

-Pat

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
GaryWT

I have found that even though the key goes in either way it only opened the lock one way and not the other. Maybe by design, maybe bad key cut.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
twstdpear

Probably bad key cut. My 28RBS also has the slam hatches and the key works either way.

When I first got it the keys and latches were operating a little rough. I sprayed some Silicon lube into the key hole several times (spray, work it, dry, repeat) and they work very smoothly now.

As an aside, it also does wonders for my main doors. I make several passes spraying it into the latch mechanism and you can close them with a finger now. Whenever I notice the kids starting to have trouble closing the doors, the spray can comes back out.

I like the silicon spray because it doesn't attract dirt. I feel like you have to reapply it a little more frequently than other options, though. I use the NAPA #8300 silicon spray. Some of the others I've tried (e.g., Liquid Wrench) smell terrible, and it takes a long time for it to dissipate.
twstdpear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
Robby9

I shot some white lithium into the key holes. It made a big improvement. I still have to wiggle the key a bit, but it's definitely better. Hopefully, the parts will smooth out over time.

Thanks.
Robby9 is offline   Reply With Quote