Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Rusty

Remote

I was just thinking about this as I was reading through some threads on the Lippert Remote.

Is the Remote set up to work only on my trailer?

What I mean by that is my garage door opener is set up for my garage door, if I try hard enough I could conceivably open someone else door. Or better yet I could operate my neighbors satellite dish with my remote (have experience with this one btw.....:-) )

Anyway I would not want to be hooking up getting ready to leave and start retracting slides, and lower the front landing gear and raising the rear stab jacks and accidentally do the same on a neighbors unit!

So I ask you oh wise ones.....is the remote only workable on my unit!

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
MarkS

The remote is electronically keyed to your trailer. If you replace it, you have to go through a pairing procedure between the remote and the receiver. You press a learn button on the receiver and then a button sequence on the remote.

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Rusty

Thanks Mark.

I was just wondering that, I assumed that it was a system that was electronically keyed to my trailer, I hope it never happens, there is a sight chance it MAY happen, but a very low chance.

2014 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins, Exhaust Brake.

2013 Cougar High Country 315RES
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Pmedic4

Universal Remotes

There is a keying procedure to identify your specific remote to your unit. I dropped mine and cracked the screen, so ordered a new one off the internet. It took about 1 minute to tie it my receiver, and then about another 1/2 hour to figure out how to put the rest of the functions to the right activity. You have to also set the "Extend" and "Retract", so it does the correct function when your done. Not hard, just time consuming.

The remote in mine has 8 functions, but my RV only has 5 things to control ( Main slide, bedroom slide, Landing Gear, Rear Stabilizer, and Awning), but it also controls the large Porch light. So, with the control panel having 2 or 3 more spare functions, I was trying to think of some 'fun' things to do. Some have a TV lift, others a Fireplace, and I kept thinking the best thing to have would be an remote sweeper to brush off the top of the slides, so I didn't have to climb up there and do it, until I get slideout toppers. FIgured the remote control sweeper would be more than the awnings however.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

I use one of the unused functions to raise and lower my solar panels.

To answer OP's question, it is possible that you could operate someone else's rig with your remote (or vice versa). How likely this is, depends entirely on how the remote's digital communication protocol was designed---specifically, how many bits were allocated to the unique identifier. The more bits, the more secure.

Lippert could tell you the actual number, but if I had to guess, I would say eight. This essentially means there are just 256 different remotes. So in a ginormous RV park with 1024 Keystone rigs, you could conceivably operate four of them, on average. Said another way, the odds of operating your next door neighbor would be 1 in 256.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
I use one of the unused functions to raise and lower my solar panels.

To answer OP's question, it is possible that you could operate someone else's rig with your remote (or vice versa). How likely this is, depends entirely on how the remote's digital communication protocol was designed---specifically, how many bits were allocated to the unique identifier. The more bits, the more secure.

Lippert could tell you the actual number, but if I had to guess, I would say eight. This essentially means there are just 256 different remotes. So in a ginormous RV park with 1024 Keystone rigs, you could conceivably operate four of them, on average. Said another way, the odds of operating your next door neighbor would be 1 in 256.

Somebody took Probabilities and Statistics in College... But you failed to consider the range of the remote in that campground. The chances of that "1 in 256" rig being parked next to you is also "1 in 256" and the chances of it being parked within range of your remote (usually about 30-45 ft) is, let's say half that, or 1:128, but could be slightly greater than 1 in 256. So, calculating a probability (on paper) is pretty easy, but in actuality (due to distance and reception of the remote) it is a bit harder. But, considering 1:256 being a good number to start with, by the time you consider "intervening factors" you're looking at a figure closer to 1:8,388,308. Chances of finding over 8 million Lippert remote controls in the 30 to 45 ft radius of your remote receiver are pretty slim, and when you consider the rotating, random digital signature, that 8 million goes up substantially, so it's safe to say, "It ain't gonna happen" LOL

Practically speaking, like garage door openers, it's not something to "fret over"... I'd be more concerned that someone could unlock my tow vehicle with their remote key lock or even start my truck with their remote starter, and only that because of the number of those remotes that are in use. It's more likely to find Fords in a group or GM' products in a group than to find Keystone's in a group

Now, something to consider when looking for a new function to add to the remote is the black tank dump valve and the black tank flush. If I were looking for a "REMOTE" function, that's one "hands on" task that I'd gladly convert LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #7
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
But you failed to consider the range of the remote in that campground. The chances of that "1 in 256" rig being parked next to you is also "1 in 256"... you're looking at a figure closer to 1:8,388,308
That's totally incorrect. The probability of your next door neighbor being in range in a typical sardine-can RV park is very high. In fact, I would venture to say almost 100%---because my remote still works 50 feet outside my rig. In fact, I would estimate that there are an average four rigs within that range, so the odds of activating another Keystone's receiver is as good as 1:64.

Of course, the odds that his rig is a Keystone is maybe 1:5----and the odds it's a modern Keystone with a compatible receiver is maybe 1:10. Those are the only "intervening factors" I can think of, so the real odds are 1 in 3200---a lot better than 1 in 8 million!

Back to college with you!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

diugo'

I will defer any "expert opinion" regarding remotes to you. You can claim the title of "statistician in charge of Lippert remote issues" just let me know when you hear of anyone whose RV opened or closed when someone with a different remote pushed a button. To date, as far as I have heard, there's no record of anyone experiencing that problem.

I'll await your report of actual cases of inadvertent activation, but won't be holding my breath.....

Cheers,

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
When you consider the rotating, random digital signature, that 8 million goes up substantially, so it's safe to say, "It ain't gonna happen" LOL
LOL, we're talking Lippert here. There is no rotating, random digital signature. It's just a single, fixed, easily cloneable 8-bit identifier.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

As I said in my last post, I defer the title to you. My dad, an "uneducated" wise old man who spent most of his life following a mule down the rows of a butterbean patch told me two things that have stuck with me for many years. First, he said, "Son, invest in dirt. They aren't going to make any more and sooner or later the supply will run out." Second, he said, "Never argue with someone who knows they are right. That way, if they might be wrong, it won't be your problem." So, again, I defer to your expertise on the matter.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-13-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
billb800si

Someday when you have a lot of time on your hands drive around the campground pressing the awning key and see how many awnings you energize.
Probably none because there are so many various frequency codes with digital equipment.
Happy trails,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote