Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
FireSprite

Post Nothing works for Sway control - Please help

Ok apparently I have a confession to make - I don't own a Keystone RV. I come from the great Keystone state (of Pennsylvania) and thought that it was a Penna forum and that all the literature simply referred to Penna RV owners. wrong. But since I signed up, I thought that maybe people would be willing to give me a little feedback on my issue. *please*
I own an 2008 iCamp. I really do love my trailer (despite its slightly dubious heritage) and would love to go camping a lot more. I purchased said iCamp last year and have gone camping Once.
The problem I've having it that the camper sways (strongly) at anywhere from 45mph+.
My basic stats:
iCamp: unloaded 2366lbs, GWV 2890, tongue weight 236 per manufacturer, single axle travel trailer, (which I had electric brakes put on when I first got it)
Tow vehicle: 2005 Jeep liberty Diesel, Max tow 5000 lbs, Max tongue wt 500
Since Pickup: I've purchased and put on a standard friction sway control, had the trailer professionally aligned (by laser), I've had it to the camper dealer who switched out the ball for a 4" drop (so that it travels as close to level as humanly possible) and who also checked the tires for wear and correct pressure.
From what I've read - I'm running out of options to "fix" and I still have No idea why this trailer is so sway happy. Also my bf tried towing it with his full size 1/2 ton pickup - and it still swayed.
Please help!
ps. I've also been on the phone recently with Reese who could sell me a weight distribution, to the tune of $400 (+$170 to accommodate the 4"drop) but they could not guarantee that it would Fix the problem.
FireSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
tileman

Sorry I can not help.
But to the forums.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
ewkearns

You need to check the ACTUAL weights of the trailer....

You need to weigh the total weight of the trailer to see how much it weighs, as you are towing it....

You, also, need to measure the tongue weight of the trailer.

Once you have those dimensions.... please repost and we can probably start trying to find a fix.....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
f6bits

My wild guess would be that there's not enough weight on the tongue. The spec tongue weight is at the minimum 10% of recommend range. Closer to 15% might help. Perhaps the trailer is loaded more heavily at the rear with stuff that can be moved foreword, at least for transit.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
cathcartww

I agree that you most likely do not have enough tongue weight, and that is the easiest thing to fix. Trailers without enough tongue weight can get really squirrelly. Here is an article on how to measure the tongue weight using a bathroom scale ......http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
fla-gypsy

X 3 I think your issue is a lack of tongue weight
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
FireSprite

Thanks Tileman for the look and the welcome.

Ewkerns, F6bits, CathcartWW(thanks for the link) & Fla-gypsy: I measured the tongue weight at 40lbs. on a bathroom scale - which correlates to both my weight and the fact that I can physically pick it up (never tried to before). How would I go about measuring an actual trailer weight? Although now as I say that there are a set of certified scales out at the truck stop about 20miles from the house, would that work? Incidentally 40lbs is about 2% distribution. There are a set of 2 11gallon freshwater tanks almost directly behind the hitch - so that would add 176lbs of additional weight, which would bring the distribution to ~9%. I generally pack very light and only bring a cooler and a tote of clothes and sheets(which generally go in the car). I'm working nights tonight, but plan to take the camper for a test run tomorrow with full tanks to see if it improves. I've seen the question posed before however, full or partially full? I'm assuming the obvious answer in my case is FULL, but would partially full make a difference? Also neither one of the tanks have baffeling. Even with full tanks d/t the liquid cargo - will it make sway that's already started worse?

Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Ken / Claudia

First go get the weight of the tow vehicle as loaded for a trip, full fuel, gear etc get each axle checked. Than take trailer and check wt. of tow vehicle front axle, rear axle and trailer. Check tow vehicles tires make sure they and able to handle the wt.. They likely need to be at max. psi or near on rear when towing(that affects sway)Trailer tires should always be at max. psi (that affects sway). The hitch wt. should be alot more than you listed. (That affects sway) and the wheelbase lenght of tow vehicles can affect sway. Longer better than shorter. I say my trailer normally does not sway but, with winds, bad roads, being passed I feel the trailer move alittle side to side rocking thats just towing. If you trailer, hitch and tow vehicle are set up correctly you should be able to drive highway speeds 55-65 safety. Good Luck
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
GaryWT

Not sure how you have a tongue weight of 40 if it cam off the floor at 200+. Do you have a battery and propane tank on the front? Is there a front storage and what do you have in trailer in the back, befind the axle. I had a trailer once that had about a 10% tongue weight and if I did not load everything up front in front of the axles then it was not a good ride. Good luck
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
WYO 85

I bought a old camper one time that if you hit 60mph with it you would be dead. Tried everything and nothing worked, after a couple years I stopped once going to to mountains(drove only 50mphfor the 2 years) and one of the hubs was warm. So when I got back a week later I repacked the bearing . I went to put the bearings back on the left side a noticed something was not right . Bearing was 1 1/8 and the axle was 1 1/6. Went and bought the right bearing ,put them in and took it for a test drive and 75mph on the interstate pulled great.
WYO 85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #11
Kristi

Sorry I can't help with the tail wagging, but I just looked up pics of icamps, oh my gosh what a neat little trailer! hope you get you problems resolved so you can get on with enjoying it!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
theeyres

If GVW is 2800 some pounds your actual tongue weight should be at least 280# and preferably a 100# more...and your at 40? You can pick up the tongue and move it? That has to be the problem. I'll bet you'll see a big difference with the water tanks filled. You may need even more. Normally a trailer should not sway, even without sway control, unless an unusual wind or gust occurs, or a sudden turn. Sway control should only help in those severe situations. Weight distribution isn't going to be a big cure, either. You shouldn't even need that or a sway bar with that small of trailer.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
FireSprite

As an update - we filled both of the water tanks, and as someone asked there is supposed to be a propane tank and marine battery behind the tongue, under the shroud.....supposed to be. I found out after I was 'just checking' to make sure that everything was there that it wasn't (!) that my other half had taken it off and put it on the trickle charger for the winter - and it just hadn't made it back on yet While he's a doll for doing it, I would have really appreciated the heads up. lol. Anyway so I'm guessing between the empty tanks and the missing battery, that's what explains the Huge difference between factory tongue weight and actual weight. So in summary - empty (with propane tank) it weighs 40lbs - then we added 178lbs of water, and 70lbs of battery, bringing it to 288lbs which is 12% TW
So - out on the highway we went. And averaged about 60mph without any big issues. We did get 'pushed' by a white delivery van which I found very suprising, especially since it didn't happen with the trackter trailers going by but *shrug* it's a Million-billion times better than it was a week ago.
I also have 2 new tires on order Goodyear 6ply (C) rating, since the ones that are on it now are TowMax and are starting to dry rot and one has a hard spot.
Thanks for all the help!!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #14
Kristi

Glad you got it pulling straight, now get out there & enjoy!

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
theeyres

Congrats! You are on the right track. When very young, newly marrieds, we loaded a small UHaul behind our car to go back East to school. My wife was driving and we went over a hill and started going downhill. The trailer started wagging the car and I thought we were going to loose it. I yelled "floorboard it!" At about 80 mph she got ahead of the trailer and then slowed down very gently. A Mounted Policeman's light came on and my wife stopped. When he heard we were going from from OR to NJ, via Canada, all he said was "I hope you make it." Needless to say that night we reloaded the trailer and put all the heavy stuff in the front and had no more problems.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
ewkearns

If you have an actual tongue weight of 40 pounds.... I think you have identified the problem. Whatever it takes.... any time you are towing, you probably need about 250 pounds on the tongue.....
2005 20' Angler CC
2005 17' G3 CC
ewkearns is offline   Reply With Quote