Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
BGlickster

Congrats on the trailer...

Hello...
Congrats on the trailer! I have the equalizer hitch also and have had no problems with it. Do you know the conventional wisdom on using lubrication on the hitch brackets... I have been told it is a good and bad idea. Beside the loud noises during turns, it keeps the trailer nice and stable...
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 AM   #42
curlyfungirl

Very nice setup!
Superlow Sportster
Heritage Softail Springer
2009-2012 VRI
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
eanddrice

VERY NICE UNIT!!!! Now go make some new memories!!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
flc

Just got back from a 10 day trip to South Dakota. All went well and camper performed as should. The Ecoboost handled it well (even in 35mph headwind on the return trip.) The Westies liked it but were glad to get home.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #45
ThePressureIsOn

We picked up our Bullet 248RKS on October 1st. After PDI we camped close to the dealer for our shake down. We then camped close to home for five days. Haven't found anything wrong with it that we didn't already know about, weak dinette seat back.....that was my first mod.

I went through it with a fine toothed comb and couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing we didn't like was the smell! The windows, vents and cupboard doors have been opened every day and night that it hasn't rained.

This was the only way we could get the TT level in our steep driveway. The tongue is about 32 inches off the ground. The TT is well supported and well chocked. Does anyone see a problem in this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steep Driveway (Small).jpg
Views:	651
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1932  
Old 10-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #46
chris199

We do something very similar due to the slope of our driveway as well. Routine is jack it up with power jack. Put jack stands under frame. Lower on jack stands. Raise tongue jack...insert concret base for deck post. Lower tongue jack.....then raise camper...remove jack stands. Goes quickly now...very routine. I don't use stabilizer jacks when just in driveway......

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
ThePressureIsOn

chris 199,

An electric tongue lift is in our near future! Both my wife and I were tired out with all of that cranking. Figuring it out for the first time was time consuming, the next time should be a whole lot faster and when we get an electric tongue lift, a whole lot easier.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #48
boytimme

Update

Haven't been here for a while, missed some posts. Been away camping most of the summer. Some impressions after much use of our Bullet, many weekends and a few week-long trips:
We LOVE it! Lots of room, plenty of storage. (the smaller wardrobe in the slide-out turns out to be big enough - though we'll find out for sure during a planned 8 week trip to Grand Canyon area next spring). Really like the layout, very functional.
Made most of the same mods as flc, added shelves to bedroom wardrobes and linen closet, reinforced dinette seat back, added battery disconnect switch and mounted 6-outlet power strip in galley to supplement single duplex outlet.
Trailer seemed a bit "wobbly" when set up. Installed Winfield "Cross Brace Sabilizer" to rear stabilizer jacks. It helped a lot - much more stable.
Had to make a step box (rather than purchase a step) for the rear stairs. Since the trailer sits so high it's not uncommon to be left with a 12"-16" last step off the folding stairs if the site is sloped a bit. Made the box 6 1/2" high x 24" wide x 16" deep. I use it to hold auxiliary 4 x 4 blocking for stabilizer jacks.
Contrary to many posts I've seen here, I'm happy with the grill that came with the camper. It's an "Aussie" grill and works fine cooked everything from hot dogs to steaks on it.
One other modification I had to make. Had to add a hook and eye latch for the cupboard over the rear counter. Upon arrival after arelatively bumpy ride in Wisconsin's Door County we opened the door to the camper and dicovered the contents of that cupboard on the floor of the camper. Luckily nothing broke! The latch that came on the camper was not quite strong enough.
Bullet's put to bed for the winter - I covered the A/C and the wheels - not the entire camper. It sits outdoors for the entire Northern Ohio winter.
I'm always curious about the consensus - full cover or not? Anyone have any opinion on this matter?

2013 Keystone Bullet 248RKS, pulled with:
2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #49
Festus2
Site Team

Those of us who have a rear kitchen are more prone to having dishes and other items "leave" the cupboards. Try stuffing a small pillow in the offending cupboard(s) - it helps keeps things inside from bouncing around and breaking. The extra latch you put on will help.

Glad you found the Bullet to your liking - despite a few minor glitches. The mods you spoke about will make things better for you next trip.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #50
81SHOVELHEAD

Congratulations on the New 248RKS

Holiday World here has a 2013 215RBS on sale here the we really liked but after serious consideration we are thinking more in the lines of the 248RKS .
Was a little bit concerned about pulling a 27 ft trailer with almost 5000 lb GVW.
After doing 2 days of research on my 2003 Tundra 4.6 L V8 with 7500 lb tow capacity i think i could safely tow the 248 with proper set up .
Wife & i really like this floor plan & i see people here are having no issues pulling this RV with a Ford V6 eco-boost ,
This will be a big move for us going from a Pop UP to a full size RV .
We are afraid if we buy the 215RBS 3 or 4 yrs down the road we may regret not buying what we really wanted.
Hope to be camping in ours during the Christmas Holidays on the Texas Gulf coast.
Nice Rig
Happy Camping
Mike &Tami D
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #51
boytimme

I agree! Go for what you WANT! Otherwise, as you say, down the road you'll wish you had.
One note about towing with the F150 V6 Ecoboost. It's like towing with a V8 - 365 HP, 420# of torque @ 2600 RPM, 11,300# towing cap'y. with max tow pkg. Not like a normal V6! Plus 248 RKS is 29' long, not 27'.
That said, I think you'll be fine with your towing vehicle, though I would recommend load equalizing hitch.
I'm sure you'll be happy with the RKS.

2012 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCab, 3.5L V6 Eco-Boost, Max Tow Package, 7700# GVWR pkg, 3.73 Axle.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #52
KJcachers

I wanted the 248 for the 60 gallon grey tank and the rear kitchen but my wife really liked the 246 so guess which one came home with us. Now that we have it home and have used it a few times i think we made a good choice. The rear kitchens lose open space with having the mid bath and hallway to the bedroom. Our 246 seems so open and spacious when the slide is out. We think its perfect for the 2 of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM   #53
flc

Some time back I learned about the rear kitchen experience in an Everest 5'er so I was prepared when I bought mine. The rear kitchen is what sold us on our Bullet!

I keep mine stored backed in under cover completely. I find much less wear on the trailer that way. We go all year long but the Bullet is so easy to winterize I have already done so, then made it back ready for a trip, and winterized again. I'll probably do it one or two more times before Spring. Easy to do and doesn't cost much. I prefer to camp in cold weather instead of hot.

I guess that's why there are Fords and Chevy's - gives you a choice. We were sitting in a 246 RBS when we ordered a 248RKS. It would be terrible if there was only one floor plan for all of us.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #54
boytimme

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJcachers View Post
I wanted the 248 for the 60 gallon grey tank and the rear kitchen but my wife really liked the 246 so guess which one came home with us. Now that we have it home and have used it a few times i think we made a good choice. The rear kitchens lose open space with having the mid bath and hallway to the bedroom. Our 246 seems so open and spacious when the slide is out. We think its perfect for the 2 of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a note to others considering a 248RKS: It has 60 gal. grey water capacity, but that is TWO 30 gal. tanks, one for the bathroom sink and shower and a second for the kitchen sink! That also means two separate tank drain connections.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #55
flc

Thought I would re-visit this thread (and maybe put an end to it.) After 6 months and over 3600 miles I still like the camper very much. I've winterized, and de-winterized, and winterized again. I'll probably do it one or two more times before Spring. With the Flo-Jet port adapters it is extremely quick and easy. No tire problems in those miles but I watch my pressure closely and don't drive over 65 mph. On my last trip (deer hunting) I noticed the slide area feels a little cooler than the rest of the trailer on a cold night. Probably not insulated much, if any. Since it's just the wife and I (or sometimes just me) I've never opened the sleeper couch since the PDI, and probably won't. I do have a small folding chair that is real comfortable and I normally put it in the trailer for some additional seating options. This is my first trailer with the smaller propane tanks but I carry a spare in the back of the truck so it works out the same amount. All in all, I've been satisfied.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #56
Festus2
Site Team

Thread is closed.

Granting flc his wish and closing thread - after 6+ pages of input. Thanks to all who contributed.
Closed Thread