Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2022, 07:27 AM   #1
flyingjack

Overpass/bridge height maps

Good morning from snowy CO. Getting ready to start our 2 1/2+month tour of SE US. Our planned route (traveling with friend/40' MH) is complete and reserved. That being said, I've search other discussions and most seem centered around directions. I am really only interested in overpass/bridge height restrictions and simpler the better.

Thank you for any suggestions?

Jack
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
travelin texans

Pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, all of the highlighted roads are approved for trucks, if they fit so will you.
If you are mainly concerned with low clearances it has a section in the front listed by state of all the low clearances in that state by highway number.
We traveled fulltime for 10+ years all across this great country using that MCA, Google maps on our phones & when equipped used the truck GPS, referenced all 3 before heading out, never had a rv specific GPS, never needed one.
I would recommend measuring your rig on level ground, not level with the leveling system, from the highest point on the roof so you know exactly your heighth not from any literature or someone else's measurements. Typically any overhead structure lower than 13'6" is required to have a warning well in advance with the posted height, but signs fall/blow down so a watchful eye & good navigator are mandatory.
You shouldn't have many issues, if any, traveling in the SE, in the NE is a different story, lots of older areas that still several areas w/ low clearances.
Good luck & safe travels!

Edit:

Just read your signature & thought HOLY COW pulling a 34' long 14k lb 5er with a Chevy Colorado, you'd have way bigger issues than low clearances. Then noticed that apparently meant you're from Colorado. Whew! scared me for a second!
Hopefully you've got plenty of truck?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:22 AM   #3
jasin1

i have a garmin rv specific gps, it works pretty good..i used a app on my iphone “Truck Map” gps before i got my garmin and it works also but can be a little glitchy at times.

alternatively you could follow a safe distance behind your friend in the 40’ motorhome…if he makes it under the bridge you should be ok …if he doesn’t then just back up and find a different route
Old 12-31-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I use the RV Life Trip Planner to plot my route ahead of time. You can input your exact truck/trailer specifications and it will route you accordingly. No issues so far!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
jsb5717

I haven't used a Motor Carriers Atlas but that could be a good option.

I also use RV trip Wizard for routing as well as a Garmin 770 RV GPS.

All good tools to help avoid RV trouble spots.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 02:53 PM   #6
flyingjack

Thanks all for good info.
Travelin Tex: thanks, ya truck is OK. 2nd 5er since 2013; retired & taking more off interstate roads.
jasin1: thanks, getting both atlas and Garmin 890. As I get older, I need more help...
oh, and I already mentioned the MH should go first.
NH & jsb: good info; shouldn't be any reason for screw up except something I do....thanks
flyingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 06:44 AM   #7
ljdriscoll

I have the Garmin 780 GPS. It allows multiple vehicles to be stored. I have one set for Truck only and a second for Truck and trailer. The 2nd allows both the height of the trailer and the length of both vehicles. Has worked really good for me

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #8
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Pickup a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, all of the highlighted roads are approved for trucks, if they fit so will you.
If you are mainly concerned with low clearances it has a section in the front listed by state of all the low clearances in that state by highway number.
The atlas is a fantastic resource. Your entire trip will probably not be on a truck route. You usually end up on back roads for the last couple of miles to the CG. But if most of your route is on truck routes, and you check the low clearance locations in the state-by-state listing, you are good to go. You can relax and travel worry free.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:24 AM   #9
adeakins

I use RV Life Pro routing for our 41’ Montana. So far, it has kept me out of trouble including tunnels and underpasses that have propane restrictions. Just remember that bridge heights are from the center of the bridge. Many bridges are at angles where the ends are higher or lower than the middle.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:36 AM   #10
Rdynbama

I have a Garmin RV 785 . It has tried to route me down a 8ft wide dirt road with about a 10 foot tree canopy.
I was within a mile of the CG and had to call them to get directions. I was already passed the road they said to take with no room to turn around, after a 17 mile detour/circle we made it. This is the second time it has routed me to places the trailer won’t fit.
It’s good to have a backup plan. Before we start back into unfamiliar territory I’m getting a MCA.

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 08:37 AM   #11
Rdynbama

And yes it was set for the truck and trailer

2011 F450 Lariat
Anderson Ultimate Hitch
Rdynbama is offline   Reply With Quote