Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
art bonner

questions on North Dakota

Looking at purchasing RV for use in North Dakota. What is needed for add ons for low/Freezing Temperature in North Dakota. Will 120 v heat tape work on undercarriage holding tank outlet valves and in stalling stainless heating tubes 120v, in holding tank. Cover heat tape with insulation. Also additional under RV insulation with skirts installed. Understand that inside fresh water tank and inside piping will with stand very low tempertures as long as inside heating unit is on.

What does the experts say.
art bonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by art bonner View Post
Looking at purchasing RV for use in North Dakota. What is needed for add ons for low/Freezing Temperature in North Dakota. Will 120 v heat tape work on undercarriage holding tank outlet valves and in stalling stainless heating tubes 120v, in holding tank. Cover heat tape with insulation. Also additional under RV insulation with skirts installed. Understand that inside fresh water tank and inside piping will with stand very low tempertures as long as inside heating unit is on.

What does the experts say.
Art -

If you look at the Keystone RV website (WWW.keystonerv.com), and look at the "Options" listed for every model, I don't think you will find what you are suggesting. You will find references to Polar/Glacier/Arctic Package. On this Forum, we have a lengthy discussion on these packages - do a Search and you will find it. You don't mention the Keystone model, so we can't address that variation. I have an Alpine 3640RL, as you can see. This model was supposed to be one of the more "winter hardy" models. (See Keystone brochures.). Peruse this Forum during the 2010-11 winter dates - you will read plenty of comments of tanks and pipes freezing, cold nights inside, etc., inside Alpines, particularly from members melgreen, Alpinecummin, and others.

I have installed tank heaters, fiberglass insulation in the underbelly, and a warm air circulation system to keep the pipes from freezing. It's all well documented in the Modifications section. Read those threads too besides the Polar/etc. discussion. Even with all the work I have done, I wouldn't attempt a NoDak winter without using the skirting Hankaye has described plus heaters beneath the RV.

Since last winter was relatively mild, go back in the Forum to the 2010-11 winter dates and peruse the postings.

If you would like more information from me, just send me a Private Message. Besides what I've posted, I have plenty of pictures of what's beneath an Alpine.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote