Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Roberson4

Another AC breaker tripping. Questions

We were camping last week with 50 amp service. I never saw the voltage meter out of the green (between 113 to 127 (mostly between 118 to 121) . My main AC and bedroom AC are on the same 20/20 duplex breaker. The main AC was the only one tripping. It tripped several times on a very hot day and one time during the night. The breaker would feel hot when I would reset it. The main in the camper or the main on the CG pole never tripped. Fridge was on electric. Hot water heater was on gas. Our 5ver is prepped for washer but does not have one.

It is my understanding that with the setup I have, all breakers on the left side of the 50amp main get their power from the one input power wire and the breakers on the right side of the 50amp main get their power from the other input power wire. If this is correct then both my main and bedroom ACs are getting power from the same input power wire.

After reading of a recall on breakers, although mine does not fit the recall, I think I will replace the 20/20 duplex breaker.

We will be camping in a CG with 30 amp hook up in a couple weeks and am concerned with keeping cool.

Here is a pic of my current setup. I added the 15/15 duplex breaker and a vacuum, we have no fireplace.

Here are what I see as my options. Not sure which option is the best.

1) Just replace the 20/20 duplex with a new one just like it.

2) Replace the 20/20 duplex with two 20amp single breakers (taking up last open spot). Keeping the main ac and bedroom ac on the same (left hand) side of the 50amp main.

3) Replace the 20/20 duplex with a new one just like it, and move the 'bedroom AC' to the 20amp 'washer' position, move 'washer' to where 'bedroom AC' is now.

4) Replace the 20/20 duplex with two 20amp single breakers (taking up last open spot). Move the 'bedroom AC' to the 20amp 'washer' position, move 'washer' to the open 20amp single breaker.

What are your thoughts on my options? Am I missing something?

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Johnnyfry

AC breakers

You are correct that having the 2AC breakers on opposite sides if the panel is a good idea, however it won't do much good if you are running on a 30 amp supply as it might not be sufficient to run both AC units even without much else running.

Another thought here is the fact that breakers have 2 trip out modes, magnetic and thermal. The magnetic mode operates when you have a short circuit and get a massive current flow and operates instantaneously. The thermal mode operates when you overload a circuit, say pulling 20 amps from a 15 amp breaker. It works by heat caused by current flow. That is why it takes several minutes to trip from a small overload and a shorter time for a larger load.

A poor connection on the breaker can also cause heat buildup and cause trip out, as can high temperature in the panel. My point here, (long winded as it is) is that having both AC units on a double mini-breaker as you do may cause trip out with the heat build up that occurs when both units are running. The breaker could also be too sensitive (faulty).

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Roberson4

Thanks for the response John.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
SAD
Permanent User Ban

In theory each A/C can pull a full 20 amps (while staying under the 50 on that one side) without tripping either A/C breaker... unless it is defective.

In addition to what John says, it might be a good idea to pull the cover panel off and inspect to see if the wires leading into that 20 duplex are tight. A loose wiring connection can cause heat build-up.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Breakers also pick up and transfer heat to the breaker next to it. If it were me I would move the wire from the bedroom breaker to the empty washer breaker to split the load to both buss bars. You probably will not be able to run both on 30amp service anyway. While your in there (Shore Power Disconnected ) check to see if all other wires are tight on the breakers. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Breakers also pick up and transfer heat to the breaker next to it. If it were me I would move the wire from the bedroom breaker to the empty washer breaker to split the load to both buss bars. You probably will not be able to run both on 30amp service anyway. While your in there (Shore Power Disconnected ) check to see if all other wires are tight on the breakers. Hank
I agree with this statement. I was thinking that as I was reading the post and looking at the pictures. Mine is split on the main panel one on side and the added on bedroom AC on the other side. If you are hooked to 30amp RV Plug you will not be able to run both AC's. I have a 30a at home I never run but one AC at a time. I have never run them together except on a 50a RV panel at a campground. I only run the bedroom during the daytime heat. I will check them out again next week as we plan to go to the beach and camp in the 90 plus degree heat and 100% humidity. Sure they will both get a workout that weekend.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote