Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
gbsb

Power Awning

Finally got my power awning apart to see what is wrong with it. The drive motor is locked up and smells burnt. has anyone replaced the motor in there power awning. Didn't last very long only one and a half years old. George
Living the dream fulltiming across America
gbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a manual awning so can't help you with suggestions on changing out the motor on yours, but there is a recent thread about it. Do a search in the past month for "awning" and you should find it.

I think (gets me in trouble often) that your awning has a 2 year warranty. If it's only 1 1/2 years old, you might get some help with it. I'd check that out if I were you..... Hope you get lucky......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
richf28

If it's the AE Dometic there is only one bolt holding it to the brace. you need to keep the awning in an open position enough to remove the motor . The other side is spring loaded so brace it in such a way so it wont unwind, Remove the one bolt, unplug wire connector remove motor. Actually very simple.

Rich and Deb
Erie, PA
2011 Ford Screw with Ecoboost
2010 Keystone Hornet 28RLS
Hensley Hitch
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
monte1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf28 View Post
brace it in such a way so it wont unwind,
- If it does, keep your mitts away...it'll wreck your hands!
monte1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
DJ85

Heres a question how does one keep the spring from unwinding?

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
gbsb

Pulled motor from the awning. Manual says to remove screw from the top and awning will roll in, not mine it has a pop rivet in it not a screw. Drilled out the three rivets in the drum and removed the motor, put the cap back on with motor out and put rivets in to hold it all to gether. It will roll in and out now, there is a spring in the opposite side from the motor and it will roll it back in. I took all the information off the awning and proof of the purchace date of camper to Camping World in Knoxville TN this morning and they called Dometic. Dometic told them to waranty the motor and one is on the way at no charge. My thanks to Camping World for their help, since I pulled the motor and will put it back they will make nothing on this transaction but still got the waranty for me. George
Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
azlee56

I just got your email from the facebook/keystone site. I read it and thought I "heard" this story before. I looked over here and here it is. I like your photo of the day btw.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Roberson4

I just removed my awning motor also. It is locked up. Is there any place on the net to order a motor? I can't find anything but a complete power awning.

btw. Mine should still be under warranty, but I also want a spare. We bought the camper new in March 2012 and have opened and closed the awning 6 times. There was not reason I can find for this motor to have locked up. I just called the dealer where I bought the camper. They told me to call back Monday, as there are no service people there on the weekends. (note to self: ask if service department works on weekends when buying next camper)

Nevermind on "where to buy a spare". I just got off the phone with a local RV dealer. They told me a motor was $551 plus shipping!!!!!!!!!!! That is CRAZY!!

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2001 Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch
Had
2008 Hornet Retreat 38BHDS (Good camper)
2006 Terry 320DBHS (POS)
Roberson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
gbsb

Mine locked up for no reason rolled it out and that was it. Really bad design in my opinion. As I said Dometic repaced mine no questions asked, no charge even paid the shipping. Next time mine goes out if out of waranty I will put a manual awning on. Good luck getting yours repaired.