Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #1
chunker

Ram air ride

Since many on here are on other forums this could be redundant. This deals with the Ram air ride that's an option. I did a search on the other forum for comments and there were some good and bad reviews. Wondering if this system is really a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. From what I gleaned the system is to maintain a "level" riding position regardless of load or not. My current bed load is around 4200# with trailer pin, aux tank, and B&W companion hitch. That's also my RAWR so no margin to add water or such. I've already moved everything heavy to the garage and didn't achieve the desired or expected weight shift off the pin. Thus the dually search. With at the standard Ram 3500 dually suspension is any air ride or air bag supplementation needed? I certainly hope not. The dually I have researched had 1300-1500 moire capacity than my current SRW. Only a couple of trucks on lots have the system so my guess is most people don't want it otherwise dealers would be ordering more of them. I only looked at Laramie not the upper or lower trims.

At any rate any comments on likes/dislikes to the system?
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
rhagfo

The Ram Air Ride is the rear suspension, there are two light leaf springs to locate the rear axle, the bags carry the load. I think using the leafs is a cost saving design, using the same frame for both.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:12 AM   #3
chunker

Here's my take after research. The system was designed to level the ride when not towing. Since a future DRW is primarily a tow vehicle, not a daily driver, I'm not concerned about it being "visually level" when empty. If I thought that a normal load would squat the rear suspension too much then I would consider that truck inferior and wouldn't buy it. It I were concerned that an excess load would do that then I'd realize that the 1T DRW was not enough truck and go with a HDT or MDT. But since my loading will be well within towing and loading specifications for the truck, normal standard suspension is fine for me.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #4
Ribtip

I never had the system but on many forums i see people complain about the system throwing codes in cold weather. These have all been ram forums
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote