Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #61
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Every time I've bought a vehicle I start at the "front room" but it doesn't take long before the manager is in the cubby hole trying to work the deal. I really hate the internet negotiations because they are going to low ball badly. I was discussing a 2020 Laramie with desired equipment with a Pensacola dealer yesterday and the numbers on the truck were close, not too bad. BUT his trade offering, steal better word, was more than 10K under KBB and NADA trade values. When I get such a ridiculously low-ball figure I lose patience dealing with them further. USAA had, I say had because it ended yesterday 1 October, that I hav en't used for any negotiation, just a bargaining tool at times.
What I've found is that the best deals are made without trade.. and often with manufacturer based finance.. for instance I paid $38,000 out the door for my F350 with no trade and "0" percent interest for 60 months and they installed my hitch and sprayed the bed included..

The deals are out there... and it is a good time to sell your current truck..
Old 10-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #62
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
What I've found is that the best deals are made without trade.. and often with manufacturer based finance.. for instance I paid $38,000 out the door for my F350 with no trade and "0" percent interest for 60 months and they installed my hitch and sprayed the bed included..

The deals are out there... and it is a good time to sell your current truck..
That is absolutely true and the rationale for trading is laziness, and tax differences. IF the trade offering is close to what an individual sale is close then trading can make sense. In Alabama, like most state, sales tax is based on the difference between the trade value and the selling price of the new vehicle. In Alabama they only charge 1/2 the state portion plus 1/2 of the county you reside. That works out to just over 3%. So a trade difference of say $10K would mean just over $300 tax. On a $70K truck that's the tax difference on $60K or 1800. I should be able to beat a trade offer by well over $1800. But the laziness kick in dealing with tire kickers, scam calls etc. But with $10K in my pocket I can deal with that. Since I'm not pushed to do anything "right now" I'll look into selling myself and decide.

Another issue is selling a high dollar vehicle. Dealers have a huge advantage as they can arrange financing, servicing etc. Put a private seller at a disadvantage especially in a low population density are like southern Alabama.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
Old 10-02-2020, 07:31 AM   #63
flybouy
Site Team

I've been fortunate in the past in writing a check for a vehichle. I've purchased new and used, traded and not traded for cars for both daughters and the DW and I. My approach was to due the due diligence in advance. Know the "real numbers and values" going in.

When calculating the numbers allow for their profit reasonably. After the fact finding I'll print out some of that info so during negotiations I can substantiate my position. I'll let them dance and sing for a little while then I'll get out the check book. I'll write down the number I'm willing to pay. I don't care where they put their numbers, it's the bottom line number I have to pay to get the vehichle on the road all fees, taxes, etc.

Often they'll have to "talk to the manager". I'll give them 10 min to get back or don't bother as I'll be on my way to another dealer. Where I live I can drive a radius of 90 miles and find literally a hundred or more dealerships.

If they "can't make the number" then I walk. I've had them chase me down in the parking lot, I've had them call me an hour later. The majority of the time they work it out to my "bottom line" number.

This worked for me when we bought our house, several boats and many cars/trucks.

For folks not able to pay out of pocket I'd advise you visit, or join a credit union and speak with your bank. Many will issue a "line of credit" up to an amount that you can borrow. That's as good as cash in your pocket., just never tell the salesman what that limit is.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #64
Miloski

Same reason I drive a Ford
Old 10-02-2020, 08:28 AM   #65
Miloski

Nice resume and sounds like a great trucking life, it resembles mine but you would have to double the trucks, add Operations Manager how bought more then tires, Construction Management Degree with a Minor in Construction Safety, wrote a safety program for a company.
Yes you could say I'm a rock hauler and equipment operator a one time, but as a Smith Driving System Instructor in civil construction I taught a lot of professional drivers like yourself how to back up. They could drive down the road but once they were onsite it was a joke. Most ended up being stockpilers.
I retired at 55 and still have my CDL with all of my endorsements also.
Just remember there Mr. Over The Road, that road your driving on was built by rock hauler.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:03 AM   #66
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miloski View Post
Nice resume and sounds like a great trucking life, it resembles mine but you would have to double the trucks, add Operations Manager how bought more then tires, Construction Management Degree with a Minor in Construction Safety, wrote a safety program for a company.
Yes you could say I'm a rock hauler and equipment operator a one time, but as a Smith Driving System Instructor in civil construction I taught a lot of professional drivers like yourself how to back up. They could drive down the road but once they were onsite it was a joke. Most ended up being stockpilers.
I retired at 55 and still have my CDL with all of my endorsements also.
Just remember there Mr. Over The Road, that road your driving on was built by rock hauler.
Oh... I wasn't a DRIVER, although I did occasionally pull a load or two to keep my hand in it... My full title was Executive Vice President and Director of Operations of the largest fertilizer warehouse and distribution company west of the Mississippi.. with barge terminals in two cities and land operations in six other cities; moving several million tons of both dry and liquid fertilizer a year. Our largest barge terminal was moving six million tons a year when I retired at 48..

Now twenty-four years later..
Old 10-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #67
Janet H
Site Team

Ok Folks - this thread has been closed and a bunch of posts removed after a mud roll derailed this topic. Just a note to all those involved:

These are the site rules that you agreed to when you joined: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ork&page=rules

There are a lot of them but the short version is: Be Nice, Be polite, Be reasonable and avoid political topics and commentary.

If you disagree with someone don't call them names or belittle their views - they are entitled to them. Make your post and move on.

If you believe that someone has stepped out of line hit the red triangle icon on the post to report it to the site team but do not respond in kind - it only amps up hostilities.

Your volunteer site team is tired and patience is thin. 2020 has been a trying year. Do better please.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Closed Thread