Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
German Shepherd Guy

Ouray Colorado

Spent the last few days at the Ouray RV park. Nice thing about this park is location. From the park you can walk to anything in Ouray, restaurants, Hot springs, shopping, and trails. The folks at the park are very helpful and friendly and we really enjoyed our time in Ouray. TT performed flawlessly. This is so far from boondocking or"outback" RV park but would still highly recommend as a base camp for exploring the mountains in the area. Known locally as "The Switzerland of America".
Checked all through the park but didn't find any other Forum members. I have my forum stickers proudly displayed front and back of the TT. John or Soudough can tell you how to get yours if you don't already have a set.
Took along two of the German Shepherds and they behaved well, even when we took them to the Ourale House Brewery, home of that famous brew master "Mr. Grumpy Pants."
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:43 AM   #2
Logan X

That sounds like a good trip. I would love to visit Ouray, it is definitely on my list. Thanks for the report regarding the RV park. I will check it out when we are headed that way.

Here is the link to the thread explaining how to obtain the forum decal if anyone is interested.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=31443
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Cbrez

Thanks for your review. We plan to travel through Colorado next summer and will plan on a stay at Ouray. I see it’s not too far from telluride (as the crow flies). No wonder the mountains surrounding Ouray are spectacular.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
Thanks for your review. We plan to travel through Colorado next summer and will plan on a stay at Ouray. I see it’s not too far from telluride (as the crow flies). No wonder the mountains surrounding Ouray are spectacular.

Ha! The key here is "as the crow flies"!! Unless you go back thru Durango to get to Telluride there is a mountain range between Ouray and Telluride, albeit a very beautiful mountain range. I've made the trip "up and over" many times and loved it. It is best done mid summer or the condition of the passes can be questionable. I've made them in Jeeps, Hummer, 4runners. If/when you go, take Imogene pass via Tomboy mine straight into Telluride. I love it, my wife hates it, especially the little bridge built out into space over nothingness (a very deep cliff) which leaves her very unsettled. The first time I came out of Telluride and she was over the "hole". After that I come from Ouray which puts me "out there". It is one way at times so be watchful; and keep an eye out for marmots - we think they are pretty cute.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If/when you go, take Imogene pass via Tomboy mine straight into Telluride. I love it, my wife hates it, especially the little bridge built out into space over nothingness (a very deep cliff) which leaves her very unsettled.
Thanks sourdough - can’t wait. My wife has “can’t not look” syndrome when she thinks my driving is going to result in her demise. Instead of closing her eyes or looking away, she stares for max effect. Sounds like an epic ride. I’m giddy already.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Just chillin

Me and my wife love ouray. We go there every September. Never gets old. This year we are staying at the older campground down in town by the river. 4J+1+1 . Passes are opening up late this year, they’ve had a lot of snow.
Just chillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
Ksupaul

I would take Black Bear pass to Telluride if it was open. It’s not. At least not yet. Drive a capable 4x4 and control your pucker reactions, and there is nothing grander.

My dad has a 5er parked behind his cabin on the Alpine Road on other side of Engineer ion way to Lake City from Ouray. Gods country right there.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post
I would take Black Bear pass to Telluride if it was open. It’s not. At least not yet. Drive a capable 4x4 and control your pucker reactions, and there is nothing grander.

My dad has a 5er parked behind his cabin on the Alpine Road on other side of Engineer ion way to Lake City from Ouray. Gods country right there.

I agree that it's God's country for sure. If taking Black Bear whoever does it needs to know you don't want to take your "Expedition" or "Tahoe"....watch word is "capable" - both in truck and 4x4ing.. And, it is one way.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
Ksupaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I agree that it's God's country for sure. If taking Black Bear whoever does it needs to know you don't want to take your "Expedition" or "Tahoe"....watch word is "capable" - both in truck and 4x4ing.. And, it is one way.
This is for sure.
Ksupaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:59 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksupaul View Post

We took a guided trip over black bear, in this

We love camping in Colorado.

Last September, when we left Ridgway state park we went north through Montrose and took 50 east to 149 south through Lake City... What a drive... God's country indeed!

-Brian