Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
mapleman3

Is there an antenae on the jensen stereo?

My jensen am/fm/cd comes in crappy...is there an antenae for it? Does it use the retractable tv antenae?. I should be getting local fm stations much better than I am?

JIM

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
mapleman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Tim&Patty

FM Antenna

Jim,
I'm sure it does, I found mine wound up and wire tied when I installed my XM reciever. Clipped the tie and extended it up inside the wall, much better reception tho we don't listen to over the air stuff anymore LOL

Tim & Patty (RHDW Red Head Dear Wife)
Riley (Monster Yorkie)

2011 High Country 291RLS, SteadyFast, XM Radio, Awning Sun Shade.

2011 Ford F-150 Platinum, 6.2L, Max Tow Package
Voliant Ram Air, MagnaFlow Cat-Back, Hypertech Chip, On Board Lift Bags, Anzo Projector Headlights & LED Tailights, Pace Rolling Padded Hard Cover.
Reese 16K Slider
Tim&Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

My Cougar has a roof mounted antenna but I have heard the newer trailers are just coming with a with a wire curled up behind the radio. Members have claimed that stretching the wire out has improved reception somewhat. Hope this helps, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Mapleman3,

I'm not sure which TT you have, but if it's like almost every other Keystone, you'll find a square plate covering the outer front edge of your Jensen. Use a knife or putty knife to pop that off and you'll find 4 screws holding the stereo in place. Pull it out and you'll discover one of the "bonuses" you get with Keystone: A SPIDER'S NEST of wires. Look closely in this "BUNDLE OF JOY" and you'll see a wire coiled up with a wire tie on it. It should be connected to the antenna input on the back of your stereo. What I did, and what many have done is to unwind this wire, route it through the hole that goes to the TV and then tape it or otherwise secure it to the side of the TV cabinet. Once uncoiled, you should get somewhat better reception. If you're not satisfied with that, you can take the TV amplifier out, and on the back of it is a spare coax connector. Route a short coax cable from that spare connector to the coax input on the stereo and you'll be using the rooftop TV antenna for signal input. The only problem with that mod is going to be if your TV Amplifier and the stereo are not somewhat close.

Good Luck
John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
smiller

I was also laughing (or crying) when I found that they didn't even bother to unfold the antenna wire and just left it coiled up... that's just beyond lazy. Good idea on tapping the TV antenna output, didn't think of that...
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
slewis95407

After removing my Jensen stereo I found the antenna that was coiled up. This is the AM antenna. At the top of the stereo there are two silver screws and printed next to them (300 ohm FM antenna) Usually a folded dipole antenna is used at this connection. This the flat ribbon lead antenna that is in a T confiuration that used to come with TV's and stereos and can be purchased at Radio Shack. The top of the T needs to be stretched out for best reception.

Conclusion: There are two antenna connections on the Jensen Stereo, 1AM & 1 FM

Scott

Fulltimer
2011 Cougar 326MKS
1997 F250 Reg. Cab. 7.3L
slewis95407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
cumminsdad08

if you stretch out the wire, make sure it goes up and down, running it to the side for any kind of lenght wont help you much at all. mine has a seperate antenae on the roof, which is nice, but it tends to work itself down every once and awhile. not sure if it is the wind, or if i am hitting something with it
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
smiller

If it is the 300-ohm flatlead FM antenna it should ideally be mounted horizontally. That will give it a horizontal polarization to match that used by FM broadcast antennas.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
charltons

just checked mine in my sprinter.......no antenna at all. Checked the bag with all my manuals, antenna in the bag......I suppose at least they left it for me.