Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Scarpo

Replacing my television

I have a 2004 Montana 3685FL with the old tube type TV. I want to replace it with a new 32" LCD. Has anyone done this/ It looks like I will have to install a wood panel in the space where the current TV is and just abandon the space behind it. I hate to just close off that chunk of space, any ideas?
Scarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
allentx1

You could get an articulating flat screen mount and either mount to the side of that opening or to the side of the new piece of wood you mount as a false back. I am with you on the space, we can never have too much. With the articulating arm you could pull the tv out of the way to access the space. Maybe some light carpentry work to make a quick face frame and cabinet door. If you have satelite, you can buy one of those RF adaptors that make the remote radio frequncy instead of infrared, and mount the box behind the TV so you don't have to look at it.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
f6bits

I think I asked in this forum but didn’t get a response: Are current home TVs as durable in a trailer as what seems to be the trailer-specific TVs?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #4
allentx1

I have the cheapo Vizio brand from Wally World in both the master and the back bunkhouse. Admittedly, I have only had them in there about 6 months but so far so good. My two Jensens BOTH had pixels go out already (single pink dot) so my guess is it really doesn't matter.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpo View Post
I have a 2004 Montana 3685FL with the old tube type TV. I want to replace it with a new 32" LCD. Has anyone done this/ It looks like I will have to install a wood panel in the space where the current TV is and just abandon the space behind it. I hate to just close off that chunk of space, any ideas?

I mounted mine on a board that I put across the front of the hole. I made a cut-out on the left side so I would have access to the space behind it. Be sure you have enough clearance for the slide-out. I had it mounted inside the space but it got very hot because there was no space at the top for cooling.

Sdayman, There are no trailer specific flat screens. (except small 12v dc ones) The only difference is that trailers come with cheap ones. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
Scarpo

Thanks for the tip on leaving space for the slide outs, I will have to go out to take a look right now to verify that I will have clearance.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
allentx1

[QUOTE=hankpage;30317I had it mounted inside the space but it got very hot because there was no space at the top for cooling.
[/QUOTE]

Articulating arm... pull it out and even angle it to the living area or kitchen then put it away for transport. Just put in a nylon strap to hold it in place just in case it shifts during transit.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
Austin Texas area
Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #8
SteveC7010

FWIW, replacing an older tube tv with an LCD one may not be much of a step up. If you get into an electronics store like Best Buy, look at an LCD model and then look at the LED models in the same size. If you haven't seen LED tv yet, you are in for a shock. The picture quality is just plain stunning. It blows away any previous technology.

Our '11 Cougar came with a 32" LCD. I took it out for the winter to prevent the liquid crystal display from freezing and hung on the wall in our kitchen just to watch the news, etc. when preparing meals. We upgraded our living room and bedroom to LED a few months ago and by comparison, the LCD picture is pretty dismal.

32" LED tv's are running $399 or less at the moment which is only a bit more than the LCD's were just 6 months ago.

Just food for thought.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by allentx1 View Post
Articulating arm... pull it out and even angle it to the living area or kitchen then put it away for transport. Just put in a nylon strap to hold it in place just in case it shifts during transit.
The hole wasn't big enough to maneuver a mounted 32" out with a lip on top and bottom of shelf. Even with a solid locking mount I still strap it down.

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
CincyGus

Check out monoprice.com for tv mounts. Cheapest place on the web and I have three from there in my home that are great. Two wall mount with tilt and one articulating mount for a TV that I need to swing out to get a proper viewing angle.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...08&cp_id=10828

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4
2012 Keystone Passport Express SL 238ML

My Camper and Mods https://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...sport%20238ML/
CincyGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
handye9

I met a fellow at an RV rally, who, used a piano hinge to mount a board over the television opening. He could then raise the television to access the area behind. It made a nice storage space.
handye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
f6bits

Such an arrangement crossed my mind, but that sounds like it’s not allowing hot air to vent out the top. Maybe a sideways hinge would be a better approach. Oh, not to mention that opening it up like a garage door requires longer cables. The optimum arrangement would be to put the piano hinge on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handye9 View Post
I met a fellow at an RV rally, who, used a piano hinge to mount a board over the television opening. He could then raise the television to access the area behind. It made a nice storage space.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
smiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
Are current home TVs as durable in a trailer as what seems to be the trailer-specific TVs?
I wouldn't assume that the TV supplied with your RV is any more durable than what you can buy at Walmart or Best Buy. The RV manufacturer probably just chooses the cheapest thing they can find.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Scarpo

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone.