Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
lmoser

No power to 5th wheel

I don't know if this is the right thread but I will try it here. I have a cougar 324 and my tv is an 08 2500 duramax. My problem is when I plug in my tv to 5th wheel I have no electrical power to camper. I have brakes, turn signals and brake lights. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
lmoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoser View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread but I will try it here. I have a cougar 324 and my tv is an 08 2500 duramax. My problem is when I plug in my tv to 5th wheel I have no electrical power to camper. I have brakes, turn signals and brake lights. Any thoughts or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
You can always get out a test light or VOM and check Pin #4 to see if there is +12vdc at the 7 way connector at the back of the truck.

If there is voltage at the 7 way, then there is likely a problem in the trailer.

If there is no voltage at the 7 way, then the truck is suspect. There is a fuse on the +12vdc charge line somewhere under the hood or dash of the truck in one of the regular fuse panels. If you've never had power to the trailer, then the fuse needs to be installed. GM usually leaves the fuse in the glove box for the owner.

If you've had power previously, and now don't, then that same fuse is likely blown and needs to be replaced.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

MORE INFO NEEDED.... DO YOU HAVE POWER WHEN THE TV IS NOT HOOKED UP? FIRST CHECK THE TV TRAILER PLUG ONE TERMINAL SHOULD HAVE 12 VOLTS ALL THE TIME. IF NOT CHECK FOR BLOWN FUZE IN THE TV OR LOOK FOR BROKEN WIERS AT THE CONECT TO THE MAIN HARNESS OF THE TV. IF THE TV IS GOOD THEN WE NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE TRAILER WITH THE TV UNPLUGGED DO YOU HAVE POWER IN YOUR CAMPER WITH OUT BEING CONECTED TO SHORE POWER. IF NOT, LOOK AT THE FUZE AT THE BATTERY. IT LOOKS LIKE A SMALL TIN CAN. CHECK FOR POWER AT BOTH TERMINALS IF ONLY ON ONE SIDE THE FUZE IS BLOWN ANY GOOD AUTO PARTS STORE WILLL HAVE A REPLACEMENT. IF NO POWER AT ALL THE BATERY IS DEAD OR THE THE BATTERY CABLES ARE BAD. GOOD LUCK. PS TV = TOW VEHICAL NOT TELEVISION HA HA HA!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
JoeofNSB

x2 with both other comments here. @ SteveC7010 - very nice graphic. We should all have this in our trusty manuals that we have built for our own info.

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Herap

Just a thought as I'm new to this 'game' having been motorhome owners in the past. Does the 12volts from the TV go through the trailer's battery connections? Was wondering if a battery cut off switch being open would give the same indications.

thanks all,
Ray
Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
f6bits

No, a properly configured battery bank is a dead end (no pun intended).

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
phillyg

It might just be a dirty contact in the 7-way plug/receptacle. Spray both ends with a little WD40. Plug and unplug the connection several times. If you get a connection, you're good to go except put a little dielectric grease on the contacts before you head out.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:39 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmoser View Post
All the replies are right on the money, just one thought.... are you checking this with the truck turned off? Most newer trucks with factory installed tow pkg have a relay that controls the 12 volt feed to prevent draining the battery when the truck isn't running.
Let us know what you find.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote