Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Re: Wheel bearing issues on a 2012 raptor 300mp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
We did exactly that. I just can't understand why that one bearing keeps going while loaded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, who knows. You'll just have to move the hub to see if the failure stays or follows. Maybe the race bore isn't true... and an extra load pushes it too far? Really grasping at this point.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
I have dexter 7k axles on the trailer. This only happens when the sxs is loaded in the garage. The trailer sits pretty level on the truck. Maybe a little down in the front putting more tounge weight on it. And yes you would think they are readily available for bearings but it is very hard to obtain them here. I have started carrying spares believe it or not. What gets me is the new 300mp is a tri axle. Makes me wonder if they knew it was too heavy

It is possible that the trailer is at the maximum, but I doubt that the entire model line is overweight. Yours is the first 300MP that we've had reports of failed bearings. Certainly, I'm not trying to minimize your problem, I know it's frustrating and shouldn't be happening, but I wouldn't think that it's a "every 300MP issue" or we'd be hearing from other members as well, and that's not the situation.... The newer models are constructed with triple axles, but even then, "all" or "most" of the older tandem axle models are functioning without the problems you have, so it doesn't appear that it's a "model wide problem" that's related to only having two axles.....

I'm still of the opinion that you've got either a damaged spindle or a faulty hub and that component is what's causing all of your problems. Maybe it was installed incorrectly, maybe it was faulty from the manufacturer, maybe it got damaged by hitting a curb or pothole, or maybe it is just "messed up for no reason"....

Until you isolate the two possibilities (hub and spindle) and see which one fails at the next problem, you won't know which it is. The only alternative would be to have a new spindle installed on the axle, buy a new hub/brake assembly and start from scratch.

I know it's not much encouragement, but hang in there, it's a frustrating issue, but there is a solution.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:14 AM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Wheel bearing issues on a 2012 raptor 300mp

I'm pretty sure overweight isn't the issue. 14k lbs of axles allows for a pretty heavy trailer.

Properly installed bearings would require a significant overloading (way beyond GAWR) to cause a failure. You would have to bottom-out your springs before you saw issues.

I'm thinking this:
Bearing too tight (I'm leaning towards this)
Something wrong with hub causing the race to be crooked
Junk bearings

Just thought of something... is the nut washer installed? On curb-side, a spinning bearing could cause the nut to tighten.

Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #24
Pull Toy

Don't come to Connecticut. or most of the Northeast.... "Doubles" on a RV are a Plains State thing. Here they'll SIDELINE you, and make your life as miserable as they can, for as long as they can!

Maybe a second TV, and a landscaper?

Sorry!

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #25
rnkburg

Well after a winter of one thing after another I am finally getting back on this. Called the dealer today sense dexter has a 5yr warranty on axles. Spoke with owner at boat show. They are calling dexter to inquire and it looks like it will be making a trip to dealership for a once over and then some

rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #26
rnkburg

Well no help from dexter. They said bearings have a one year warranty and that is that. Told dealer they should replace the axle if it looked bad (out of my pocket of course). So now I am looking for a local place to get some quotes on a new axle. No reason to tow it an hour and a half for an axle when I can get one done locally.
It still makes me wonder if I am going thru this if they make a stouter axle to put under there that would help handle the weight. Keystone did make it a Tri axle so there had to be a reason right?

Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #27
rnkburg

Ended up putting a new axle on the rear. We will see how that does

Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team

Thanks for following up. I hope it works out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks for the update. When they took the old axle apart did they find anything that might give you information about what might have been the cause?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #30
rnkburg

The place I took it just dropped the old one and put the new on. I went on and ordered it in special. Didn't go to a rv place ended up going to a trailer place

Old 04-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #31
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Some previous posts have made reference to the Raptor 300 as possible going to a tri axle setup. As far as I know the Raptor 300 has always been dual 7K axles
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:59 AM   #32
canesfan

^^^ For 2017 it looks like they don't even make a 300 anymore.

Also, can someone show me a triple axle 300MP? I have yet to see one.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:12 PM   #33
rnkburg

I saw one at my dealer when I went for service a year or so ago. I don't know if it was special order or not but they had it

Tags
raptor