Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #1
geeman

Lake Superior late October..suggestions?

Looking to do a trip up to Lake Superior in late October. Sort of undecided on Minnesota North Shore or southern route up the UP of Michigan.

Looking for suggestions for campgrounds and any MUST SEEs that you may have.

Thought about setting up a base camp and making day trips with the truck.
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Been a long time since I've camped up there, but Duluth and Superior have some ship yards that are interesting to see along with an old ship that is set up for tours if you're interested in that kind of stuff. Grand Marais has some nice areas to camp. Personally I love the drive along the southern side starting around Ashland up through Hurley and Ironwood and on up to Ontonagon, very beautiful scenery. I've made that drive many times, but have never camped. I'm sure someone on here can give some camping locations.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
geeman

Lake Superior color fall camp

We are sort of stuck on the timing to the end of the month. Worried that most color will be gone by then. What do you all think?

Not sure if I should change the plans leaving from Iowa and head another direction?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:38 AM   #4
bsmith0404

Late Oct may be running a little late for a lot of color. You could also run into lake effect snow. Those areas, especially up in the UP, can get hit pretty early.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:51 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

According to many reports, the "UP color season" is the last week in September and the first 2 weeks in October" That being said, it depends more on temperatures for any given year than on the calendar. I've seen the "peak color" as late as deer season (Nov 15th) and as early as Labor Day weekend. While those are definitely the outside dates, "peak color" times change dramatically from year to year, but expecting to see more than a few "left over trees" the end of October is being far more optimistic that I would encourage....

Here are a couple of websites that might help you decide:
http://www.uptravel.com/fall-color-routes--55/
http://www.michigan.org/fall/

There is a "bucketload" of things to see and do along the southern shore or Lake Superior. The trip can be very rewarding no matter the time of year, but if "fall color" is your main reason for visiting, the "end of October" is probably not a good time to schedule your trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #6
goldtr8

Check out Union Bay campground on the lakeshore in Porcupine Mt state park. It's my favorite place to camp we go at least once per year. You will be late for colors and it will be cold and I would plan on freezing weather that late.

Things to see Presq Isle, Lake of the clouds and the rocky Superior lakeshore at the campground.
goldtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
geeman

Mississippi river valley suggestions? IA, WI

Tend to agree, would have liked to be there end Sept or first Oct but did not work this year.

Maybe I should look lower...........LaCrosse or Prairie Du Chien area along the Mississippi river valley. ??

Any ideas or suggestions there?
Old 09-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Pmedic4

Lake Supperior - UP Michigan

We did this trip last year in August. Stayed in Rapid River, down by Lake Michigan, but did the day trips up to Munising, Marquette, and kayaked on the southern shore past the Picture Rocks. Also did the south, and went to the Fayette Historic State Park, and then a long day trip to Mackinac Island.

Already discussing another trip up there next year. While we only stayed a week, another couple who are full-timers took one more week and did Copper Harbor and visited some of the copper mining areas and those tours.

Interesting place to explore!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #9
goldtr8

I am going south in October to the Blue Ridge mountains for color in NC and Gatlinburg TN for the Smokies. UP will be to cold.
goldtr8 is offline   Reply With Quote