Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #1
mpoi

2015 Cougar shakedown trip

Thought i just post on my first two trip in the camper.
We took it out on a 300km trip up north. The trip went well, better then expected really. The WDH and airbags made the ride pretty comfortable. Had no trouble pulling a 29' trailer behind a 1500 dodge. Gas mileage was decent i suppose. Used 3/8ths of a tank to travel approx 300km, the trucks reading was 20L/100km. Pretty respectable i guess.
The levelling was a real pain in the rear. We parked in a friends felid and was not level. After a bit back and forth, and different thickness of wood blocks, we got her to sit level. Everyone loved the remote control slide outs and stabilizers. Especially me.
After filling my fresh water tank, almost killing my friends well pump, we were all set. Ran the trailer a day and half off the battery, after that, I ran it off the truck battery. We weren't running much, but the lights and water pump but it drained it pretty quick. My outside speaker don't seem to work, going to do a couple more test before i make an issue out of it. Found out the hard way the grey and black tanks were incorrectly labelled. One drawer bottom in the kids room came off. Other then that, everything went great.
Still doing a couple of modifications, ie. quick battery swap out, bbq quick connects and prepping for a solar system. The trailer is well equipped as is and we loved dry camping in it
The wife is calling glamping, i call it a place to crash after the beers are gone.
Thanks for all the advice and info from everyone. This forum has proved to be a great resources for info and advice.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
dm1401

We also love our Cougar, as far as batteries go, I am now on my 3rd set to try and find a decent battery set. We started off with 2x 6volt us energy red top, then upgraded to their green top, then I sold those and purchased 2x 6 volt trojans. I do not think highly of US energy batteries, they fall flat on their face when temps get to about 15c, and when they get to about 85% or so they just drop rapidly. As far as solar we have a 160ish watt panel and with my current set up we can now dry camp with ease, and not need to worry about battery levels much at all. Its is common for us to use our furnace all but 1 month of the campin year. The warmer it gets the higher up the mountains we travel. The Trojan batteries are on sale at Lordco all summer, if you choose that route, but 2x 6 volts are the way to go, especially when dry camping. And if need be we have our generator (Kipor 2600W), we'll see how this one stands the test of time.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
NavyDiver1980

Cougar Xlite 29RLI

My wife and I have so far used our 5ver 4 times, 2 short runs of about 75 km, 1 of about 250 km and the last one of about 400 km, so far the rv has totally lived up to our expectations. The auto leveling was a bit difficult to sort out at first, but now it is pretty easy! The trailer pulls great (I am glad I got an F250 not a 150). Kudos to the sales and support team at Camping In Style in Brooklin, ON!

Jim, Therese, Gilligan and Ginger (miniature dachunds)
2015 F250 CC 6.2l 4x2 c/w Pullrite Superglide hitch
2015 Cougar Xlite 29 RLI
NavyDiver1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #4
bill-e

Cougar 26RBI

I'm about to take out my 2015 Cougar on its maiden outing in a couple of days for a 4 day dry camping experience at the Northeast Regional Cowboy Action Shooting match. Bullets, Bourbon and Cigars,....always a great time.

This trip is just me and my pup and I won't spend much time at all in the camper except to sleep. The pup will spend a couple of 3 hour stints alone, sleeping on the bed while I'm competing. If it's too hot I'll run my 2500w Yamaha generator for him. I miss not having a Fantastic high speed fan which pretty much was enough for him the last couple of years in my 19' hybrid.

Hopefully in time for the trip I'll get the wiring (from Amazon) to connect up the second Interstate SRM-24 battery. This new trailer has plenty of water and a huge shower so I'm looking forward to that too.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 06:05 PM   #5
Ittle Dew Too

Talking 2015 28rbs

We did 3 weekend trips to check out all the systems, all was good. The camper went in for its pre 90 day warranty check from our dealer before our last trip and all was good.

Just got back from a 2100 mile round trip through the mountains of NY, PA, VA, and Tenn. and all was great! The WD hitch worked perfectly, no sway or bounce, tracked great even when next to a 18 wheeler. The camper tows great and performed great, could not ask for a better trip.
Ittle Dew Too is offline   Reply With Quote