Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #1
C130

New RV Park In Galveston, TX

First, I'm new to staying at RV parks as we normally stay at state parks or motocross tracks. I could not find an RV spot anywhere in Galveston as it's Mardi Gras weekend and a big cheer competition which my daughter is participating in and the whole reason we wanted to stay in Galveston. I called a new place, Galveston Island RV Resort, and they had openings. I was told they had just opened less than two weeks ago and still working on a lot of the amenities such as the pool and other things. Very friendly and big concrete pads with full hookups, 30/50 amp power. I think most, if not all, of the pads are 60 feet long and if I remember correctly they told me around 20 feet wide. It's a ways out from the main part of Galveston and about 6 miles I believe past Jamaica Beach RV park. It's right across the highway from the beach and there's a beach entry right across from the RV park. I'll know more about it this weekend as we are staying through Sunday and will post some more information.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Be sure and post your thoughts after your stay. I've gone to Galveston for many years but none in an RV. We stay at the Hotel Galvez or the San Luis Resort - neither is cheap. Would like another option an I'm very interested in your thoughts and the details of the place.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Be sure and post your thoughts after your stay. I've gone to Galveston for many years but none in an RV. We stay at the Hotel Galvez or the San Luis Resort - neither is cheap. Would like another option an I'm very interested in your thoughts and the details of the place.
We enjoyed our short stay at the new RV park and as I stated earlier, this place just opened so still a lot of work to be up to 100%. Full hookups with 50 amp service, other amenities are in the process of being built or plans to build. We weren't interested in any of the other amenities anyways so they were not a concern to us. The sites are very big and will easily accommodate any RV and very easy to get in and out of. I had a pull through but it appeared all of the sites would be easily assessable and I believe all are 60 feet long and around 20 feet wide. I think some of the sites are 60 feet long but the full length isn't 20 feet wide, just the first half or so maybe. Still plenty of room and width still not an issue.

There was an issue today with dumping as they were having some type of sewer pump issues. This was new to me and we were being told the 30 amp breaker needed to stay on all of the time due to the pumps. Everyone I spoke to was unfamiliar with this and we had all turned the 30 amp breakers off and were using our 50 amp breakers. Anyways, they were very helpful and did everything they could to try and figure out what the issue was. I was able to dump my tanks before we left but think maybe a couple of guys were still having an issue.

The only drawback to this place for some might be the location; it's a good 15 miles from the main strip of Galveston. If anyone is familiar with Jamaica Beach RV park it is past it a few miles. This may be either a plus or a minus I guess depending on what you are looking for. Beach is right across the street and was actually pretty nice (Galveston standards) and secluded. Kids loved it so we had fun. All of the neighbors I talked to spoke fondly of the place also and everyone seemed happy and loved the huge pads. The couple managing the place were very friendly and accommodating and came by several times to see if we needed anything and make sure everything was working properly. They told me they hope to have most everything completed by summer time, including a pool. They plan on doing several activities for kids also. I plan on going back there soon, we enjoyed it.

One more thing I'll add, the front sites are right next to highway that runs along Galveston Beach. When I go back I might choose a location further back and see if it's a little quieter. There wasn't tons of traffic that far out but we could still hear it. Several of the other RV parks appeared to have about the same offset distance to the highway though.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I really appreciate the update. I'm not hung up on being in town. We run down that road all the time when we're there. I'm saving your comments and plan on trying it out....Thanks!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
C130

You're welcome. One thing I'd suggest for anyone booking is to confirm the size of the RV spots if there's a concern. I was told they were 60 feet in length but I was looking at a PDF site plan of the facility and some looked shorter. Some were not open yet so maybe the guy was referring to the ones open. Either way, all the ones I saw looked pretty big.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
gearhead

I haven't been to Galveston Island State Park, but they have some sites right at the beach according to the web site.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/galveston-island.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I haven't been to Galveston Island State Park, but they have some sites right at the beach according to the web site.
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/galveston-island.

They were booked all weekend but we drove by it every day. I'd say it's about half the distance in to Galveston from where we stayed. The state park does not have sewer hookups, at least it isn't listed as having them on the Texas State Parks website. I do know the Texas State Parks website isn't always correct though because Huntsville State Park has some with sewer but it's not listed as such.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
pawpaw

Look's like you had a great time down there!