Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
FTWingRiders

Lake George, NY

Hello all,

My wife and I are planning to go to Lake George for the first week of August as our "week without the kids" Vacation.. We have a 325srx and will be bringing the goldwing to get some riding in. After searching here, and on line there are two CG catching my eye. Lake George Escape and Lake George RV Park, and would love some insight from those who have gone before..

As it's just an adult week, which one has the more private secluded sites? A little quieter would be nice.

We also prefer a larger site.. We hate staring at the back of the camper right in front of us..

As we'll be going in and out on the bike, which one is biker friendlier? As it's a goldwing, its a fairly quiet bike and won't cause too much annoyance to the neighbors..

Thank you for any suggestions! Forrest
FTWingRiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We were there last year for my sons wedding. Stayed at a hotel, and had a rental car. I do remember seeing a campground right off the main road, just don't remember what the name was. Looked a little tight, but I'm used to western camping that includes large spaces.

Hopefully someone will chime in with better information. Beautiful scenery I must say. Enjoyed the drive to/from Albany airport.

Edit: looking at a map it was battleground state park.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #3
therink

Check this place out: http://www.kingphillipscampground.co...FUo2gQod9VQAtg

We have stayed there and liked it. Of all the LG campgrounds, I would say this one is the best suited for adults and the rates were much cheaper. It was clean and had nice sites.

The other larger campgrounds are resorts with lots of activities / amenities but are pricey.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #4
frano

We like Ledgeview but it has a no tents/no pets policy. I've seen bikes there also.
frano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
dhdb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWingRiders View Post
Hello all,

My wife and I are planning to go to Lake George for the first week of August as our "week without the kids" Vacation.. We have a 325srx and will be bringing the goldwing to get some riding in. After searching here, and on line there are two CG catching my eye. Lake George Escape and Lake George RV Park, and would love some insight from those who have gone before..

As it's just an adult week, which one has the more private secluded sites? A little quieter would be nice.

We also prefer a larger site.. We hate staring at the back of the camper right in front of us..

As we'll be going in and out on the bike, which one is biker friendlier? As it's a goldwing, its a fairly quiet bike and won't cause too much annoyance to the neighbors..

Thank you for any suggestions! Forrest
If you are looking for larger secluded sites, then I would recommend Moose Hillock. Brand new, opened last year.
dhdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:01 PM   #6
GaryWT

As above, the family that owns Moose Hillock in NH just opened a new place in NY. Huge sites, great pool. We camped at Lake George RV Park years ago and it was large but served us well. Do not remember the site sizes. Do remember driving to the movie and indoor pool as is was not close to our site.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #7
ggrant119

To bad your going to miss Americade (June 2-5) in Lake George... (Americade, IMO is like an adult version of Daytona bike week, - slower, smaller and less BS) I have done some riding around Lake George area you will not be disappointed. August is still the heavy tourist season so downtown will be jammed packed with people. Enjoy riding that Wing mid- week. The weekend traffic can be heavy. Wish I had some insight into the campgrounds... I only know of someone that loves Lake George RV Park.. I have never been... safe riding
ggrant119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #8
FTWingRiders

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I like the looks of the Moose Hillock CG.. We always prefer the larger, more secluded spots. Since it's just the two of us for the week, we like a bit of privacy. We'll be spending most of the days out riding and sight seeing, and rarely use all the amenities a CG offers. We love our camper, we just love having our own place to come home to ..
Old 01-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrant119 View Post
To bad your going to miss Americade (June 2-5) in Lake George... (Americade, IMO is like an adult version of Daytona bike week, - slower, smaller and less BS) I have done some riding around Lake George area you will not be disappointed. August is still the heavy tourist season so downtown will be jammed packed with people. Enjoy riding that Wing mid- week. The weekend traffic can be heavy. Wish I had some insight into the campgrounds... I only know of someone that loves Lake George RV Park.. I have never been... safe riding
THANKS!

I actually go to Americade every year, we're only about 4 hours away. It's not as good as it used to be, more jewelry and car waxes, but I always take a day off from work and do a day trip.

It seams there are a couple great CG up there, I've narrowed it to 3 and want to make reservations soon.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Brantlaker

Most of the Campgrounds in the Lake George area are family friendly so there will be lots of children and pets the only one that I would recommend is Ledgeview on State Route 149 in Queensbury. It is small and most sites are pull through. I live about 30 miles North and it is the one that I use when meeting my Adult friends to camp. Make any reservation as early as you can as they fill up quick. and by the way the Riding is great during the Summer lots of back roads and places to go on day trips. Any questions PM me.
Gary

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
Trailsport07

I have camped at Lake George RV park since 2007 and love that campground. Sites in the middle of the hill are a good size. The sites at the bottom of the hill are good also.
I have also camped at Moose hill Locke twice. They are large private sites. Large stone on roads hard to walk and ride bikes. My wife loves her crocs and flip flops it was hard for her to walk and were in our early 40s. We ended up renting a golf cart but rent in advance they go quick. If I can find it I'll post my pic of one of our sites at Moose hill. Moose hill is also pretty dusty but is nice. They didn't weed wack like RV park but it was nice
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:02 AM   #12
Trailsport07

This is one of the sites we had great space. This is at Moose Hill, Lake George NY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MooseHillLock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	7801  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #13
FTWingRiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailsport07 View Post
This is one of the sites we had great space. This is at Moose Hill, Lake George NY
that looks nice and private. thanks for the picture! I kind of like the more "rustic" sites.. I don't really like being packed in camper to camper. Were the roads all ruts, or just gravel, since I'll going in and out on the bike. Don't mind the gravel, the wing can handle it as long as it's not a cow path..lol

Thanks!!!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:44 AM   #14
Trailsport07

The roads are wide and rocky. You should not have any problems with a motorcycle. One weekend we were there the campground was loaded with them leaving and returning. when I heard them talking they just said they had to take it easy. but it is a campground anyway. You will like it there and wait till you see there pool its way cool.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #15
Arcticbouncer

Stayed at lake george escape sept 2014 with our 31bhpr. It was great for us we had the 2 kids and 2 dogs with us . Sites were a good size I had a pull throug site in the middle of the Camp grounds but it was quiet and clean and everyone was friendly, dirt gravel roads that will be fine for the wing. It's about 10-15 min from the main drag , six flags Wally mart half dozen resteraunts . And it is off of a pretty quiet road. Long story made short we liked it and had nothing bad to report and will most likely return this year as it is only about 2.5 hours from home and the dog park made it nice so I could bring the entire family. Nice place middle of nowhere right next to everything ish.
Arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote