Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #1
Chippewa93

Air Suspension and travel trailers

Anybody have experience with an Air Suspension vehicle (Lincoln Navigator) and hooking up to a travel trailer with a sway bar hitch. The owners am up makes it sound like there could be lots of room for error
Chippewa93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I am not sure I understand your question. I have not towed with factory air bags but, like many on here have added them on my last 2 trucks. What does the information your reading say is the problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #3
{tpc}

I have a air setup on my tahoe. Can't find a particular answer on the subject that is a 100% "do it this way" kind but here are my thoughts.

The manual on mine says to let the air inflate prior to making WDH adjustments. But the other school of thought is if you do that, your not properly moving load to the front axle.

Some have suggested to hookup with the air system off, letting the rear sag, then adjusting the WDH spring bars, and then when happy with that adjustment, turning the system back on letting it make its final little compensation.

I have tried both ways, more recently the last way described. I think it performs better that way. How your system works may be much different though, and I would at least follow the what the manual recommends.

In the end though, the only true way to figure it out would be to spend time at a scale, and see exactly what is happening when you make adjustments or try setting up differently.
{tpc} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
christopherglenn

Measure the front fender to ground clearance on both sides when empty with the suspension at normal ride height. Attach the trailer without WD and re-measure the front end. With the weight hanging off the hitch out back, the front end will raise due to weight transfer off the front axle to the rear one. The goal of the WD is to put MOST of that weight back up front. Start by adjusting the WD to get over 1/2 the difference in ride height back. If the steering is off, increase the WD, do not force the front lower then unloaded height.
2013 Yamaha 242LS
2010 GMC Yukon The Bus
2005 Chevrolet 2500 CC/SB Duramax 4X4 Hers (sold)
2006 Jayco Jay Flight 31BHS (sold)
christopherglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #5
austex

Instructions with the Equal-i-zer 4P hitch say to turn off the air-leveling system when doing setup.

Tom
austex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Brent1974

I have also read that you should turn off the air suspension before installing the w/d hitch.
Brent1974 is offline   Reply With Quote