Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #1
TandE

Towing with a manual transmission

Just wondering if anyone is towing with a newer ram with a manual transmission? Been looking at getting a new (to me, new right now is not appealing) truck and this one caught my eye a 3500 ram SRW cummins diesel crew cab. While I love my ford 6.0 it is only an extended cab and with having a newborn it is a pain to get him in and out and it gets really warm back there with no vents to direct airflow. Plus if the dw sits there next to him she isn't all that comfortable. This one is a 2010 with 45k miles on it and in great condition.

So who has one and what are your thoughts? Would you buy the same setup again? Is it a pain in The mountains? I've driven manual cars and a couple manual diesels but never towing so I am curious as to what others think or regret.

Thanks.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
Just wondering if anyone is towing with a newer ram with a manual transmission? Been looking at getting a new (to me, new right now is not appealing) truck and this one caught my eye a 3500 ram SRW cummins diesel crew cab. While I love my ford 6.0 it is only an extended cab and with having a newborn it is a pain to get him in and out and it gets really warm back there with no vents to direct airflow. Plus if the dw sits there next to him she isn't all that comfortable. This one is a 2010 with 45k miles on it and in great condition.

So who has one and what are your thoughts? Would you buy the same setup again? Is it a pain in The mountains? I've driven manual cars and a couple manual diesels but never towing so I am curious as to what others think or regret.

Thanks.

Travis
I have 07 Ram with Mercedes built G56 6sp manual tranny attached to my 6.7 CTD. I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world..... Yet...
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 AM   #3
DiverB

I miss my 2007 Ram 2500 Cummins with the G56 hand shaker. I towed my Gearbox toyhauler (30') with the manual transmission all over the US and never had any problems. I got 52,000 miles out of the stock clutch before it started to slip which was impressive considering I wasn't running stock power.

I changed the clutch to a Southbend double disk made for towing, and wow what a great setup. Get the Dodge with the G56 and you'll be happy, especially with the exhaust brake and the manual transmission....like a mini semi truck
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:15 AM   #4
davidjsimons

I had a 2003 Dodge with the six speed. It was turned up pretty hot, making plenty of power. I too put in a twin disc Southbend clutch. I put that clutch in at 210,000 and sold the truck at 326,000. The truck is now approaching 400,000 and still running that same twin disc Southbend clutch. It was well worth the money and made for a great towing vehicle. And yes, the exhaust brake is a real enhancer.
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
vampress_me

I can't say much in the newer Ram diesel stick shifts, but we had a 1999 2500 Cummins diesel. Lived in Montana at the time and towed a heavy horse trailer all over in the mountains with no problems. Absolutely LOVED my manual transmission and Cummins engine. Ended up getting a 2009 F350 diesel automatic when the Dodge started falling apart around the Cummins, and love the Ford too. But I definitely miss the Cummins and manual transmission every time I pull our Cougar XLite through the little hills in Minnesota and that crazy automatic shifts at the stupidest times or shifts hard - I miss the control of having a stick shift.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
TandE

Thanks everyone for the replies, it sounds like most people loved them. I test drove the truck today. That was one of the easiest manual diesel trucks to drive that I have experienced. That exhaust brake is nice too although I didn't have a load or steep hill to drive on with it on.

Travis
Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
Barbell

We have a '01 Cummins w/ six speed and exhaust brake. Bone stock other than the air bags. Towed to East Coast and New England and back last fall with absolutely no problems. We are both at or past 70 and we don't do more than 2-300 miles per day and usually spend a few days at each stop. If I had a spare $50K, I would be driving a new one just like it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #8
rhagfo

My 01 Ram has the NV4500 5 speed, I don't have any issues with pulling with a manual. I have driven manuals on and off for 45 years, and don't give it a second thought.
With a truck manual 1st gear is referred to as "Granny Low" and I don't use in daily driving unless in heavy stop and go traffic. Works great in heavy traffic pulling our 11,000# 5er in the coastal towns of Oregon.
Starting out with a manual in Rams is simple, it is basically release the clutch and accelerate. I did replace the clutch at about 255,000 miles with a double disk for greater holding power.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

my older dodge diesel had a 6 speed. still going strong. the only issue I had was my left hip would hurt! That was because my DW some how knew it was time for me to drive just before we hit a massive traffic jamb and i got stuck on the cltch off the clutch. that is the only reason i switched to an automatic.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:53 PM   #10
TandE

Well I bought one. A 2010 ram 3500 SRW 6.7l diesel with the 6 speed manual. This is the first cummins and ram for that matter that I have owned. So far really impressed with it. Although it's previous owner used it for towing for his business I'm concerned on the clutch life that's left, it's only at 68k miles but who knows how it was treated. So now the hunt begins for a new clutch setup for peace of mind.

Travis
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 AM   #11
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
...So now the hunt begins for a new clutch setup for peace of mind.

Travis
Congrats.... And unless you have a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have any decent/steep/long grades near you, you'll be able to test it... 5th gear, 2600-2700 RPM at 65 mph..... If the clutch is week, the RPM will blip as it slips and grabs... If it doesn't do that, then don't worry... Be happy.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #12
DiverB

once its time for a clutch replacement, consider Southbend clutch. It will be the last clutch you replace
2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4 - Custom Tuned, 5" TBE, ATS Tranny, ARP Head studs, EGR Cooler delete, S&B intake, GDP intake horn, EDGE CTS w/turbo timer, FASS 95 lift pump, pac-brake airbags, Mag Hytec diff covers, B&W 20K hitch, AMSOIL everywhere

https://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/199482.png
DiverB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverB View Post
once its time for a clutch replacement, consider Southbend clutch. It will be the last clutch you replace
SB or Valair, and if you haven't yet bought that clutch, look at a dual disk for towing. Both SB and Valair sell organic DD clutches. Mine was a little grabby at first, but the holding power is GREAT.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #14
rnkburg

Call peter at southbend. Great people to work with and a great product. When it is time

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

South bend are the way to go. I put one in a 2006 Dodge 3500, for a guy that moves telephone poles. He has gone across the scales at < 30,000 lbs. From Nevada back to Calif. Zero issues and it's been a couple of years and LOTS of miles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
TandE

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking at both southbend and valair and haven't decided on which one but southbend seems to have more reviews for it so it might end up being them. But like SAD said I will be waiting a bit to do it as I don't have a problem now (although I don't really have a steep road to do the 5th gear at 65 mph near me) but will be replacing it before (hopefully) it shows signs.

DiverB, Are you the one on here who never has a stock diesel? As in they always get deleted?

Travis