Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
popup

New Dodge tv / trailer plug / sway hitch

Greetings. I just purchased an 07 Dodge 5.9 and just hooked up the brake controller. As I previously did on my Chevy, do I need to connect any other cables to a battery source to have 12 v power at the trailer plug or is it pre wired hot?

Also i'm looking forward to finnally towing without having to use my Eqaulizer hitch.

I'm not going to need the sway hitch with this strong truck compared to my old Tahoe? Right?

08 Springdale 296BHSSR 6,900 lbs empty
07 Dodge 5.9 Megacab
popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:15 AM   #2
richf28

Follow the instructions on controller for proper wiring. Contact the controller company or a Dodge dealer for a plugin wiring harness to make it easier. As far as the sway controller...why not have it? I have the new Ford F-150 equipped with anti-sway and also use my Reese dual cam. Got into some windgusts coming home last weekend and was sure glad I had them.
richf28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
hankaye

popup, Howdy;

Have ya got a test light? You can check to see if there is power at the plug by checking it yourself...Depends on which plug you are working with ...AND ... as it is a "used" TV, weither or not it has been disconnected / connected, by a previous owner or not.

For a 7 way MOLDED TRAILER / SEALED TV connecter (generally standard and has the Lump that aligns the connecters on TOP), looking at the TV end, the ground wire (WHITE / 10 Ga.), "should" be at the bottom left (7 O'Clock). The blade for the Brake ( BLUE / 12 Ga.),is next to it on the right. Then going in a counter-clockwise direction you will come to;
Tail & license plate light (GREEN / 14 Ga.),
Battery charge (BLACK / 10 Ga.),
Left Stop & Turn (RED / 14 Ga.),
Right Stop & Turn (BROWN / 14 Ga.),
In the Center is a round Stud for "Aux. " (YELLOW / 14 Ga.), I scratch my head for that one also...

IF you have a 7-way Thermoplastic / Metal connecter (aligning lump on BOTTOM), The order of the connecters goes the other way around. Same color coding.

For the 6-way connecters again same color coding just ... NO BATTERY CHARGER!!!

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

mine came with a factory harness in the glove box, and it spliced right into my controller, and there was a plug right in under the dash, i think next to the e-brake. it has worked flawlessly everythime i use it.

as for the sway control. you might have a heavy truck with lots of power, but you might still need that sway control. i have a similar trailer with about the same weight as you. my Truck is an 04, but mostly the same as the 07, and i NEED that sway control on the high way. i don't bother with the close places on the back roads, but i for sure need it on the highway. i tried once on a nice calm day, and it was anything but fun trying to get it to stay where i wanted it too. only way you will figure it out is to try it out.

good luck. and congrats on the new truck. good choice
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #5
popup

Thanks to all for the replies

Cumminsdad08,

I was hoping to be done with the hassle of the sway hitch. I would never have towed on my Tahoe without it but now I got a real mans truck.

The guy i bought the trailer from last year had an 05 regular cab long bed Dodge Cummins and claimed he never needed any sway control.

last question, does your trailer plug supply enough juice like to power the slide if the battery is weak? I was told the Dodge power line to the plug is thinner than Chevy's and only gives like a trickle type charge.
popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #6
Handysam

Yeah, what Cumminsdad said. The power from your truck battery's should power your slides and so on, with the truck running. Enjoy that "Big Boys" truck. Happy Camping, Sam
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
SLIMSHADIE

Popup you may not need a sway hitch, but still need the Eqaulizer hitch. Our "factory hitch" is supposed to handle 600 lbs or 1000 lbs with weight distribution. My TT is under 7000 lbs dry weight, and the tongue weight is 10-15% of loaded weight. My math is roughly 1000 lbs tongue weight easy!

I thought the same thing and didnt even use a weight distribution hitch the first year. So I investigated them and bought the Reese dual cam. Weight distribution and sway all in one. I never had a sway problem, but was easier to get now than later.

One day on the way home, last year, we rolled right thru a storm. I could only do 30 on they interstate, because I couldn't see. I was passing cares that were pulled over on the side. Tree branches everywhere. Did we just go thru a tornado?

I'm glad I had it then and never had a problem with the TT that day either.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
campingcpl

A sway control helps with more then just controlling the sway from wind or a passing semi. If you have to make a quick lane change or swerve to avoid something with out the sway control you could easly lose control of the trailer. The sway control will help keep the trailer under control. I've heard people say "I have a big enough truck that I shouldn't have to use the leveling bars or sway control with my smaller trailer", then would hear about them getting a new trailer and/or truck because they lost control of their rigs. It's your choice but for me if the trailer is heavy enough to where you need to use leveling bars/sway control then I would be using it. Personaly the time it takes to hook up is better then a life time of feeling bad because of something terrible happening because I didn't. JMHO

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
cumminsdad08

i agree 100% with the last post. your truck can handle the trailer with out all the WD and sway stuff, but its harder on you and the truck. i will pull mine home from storage all the time with nothing on it, but its only across the city and if i go more then 25 i am suprised. but anywhere else, its worth the agravation. i would have liked to get the resse dual cam set up, but i just got what my dealer gave me, and trying to tell my wife anything differnt is out of the question now. so for now i just use my better judgement and decide what i feel like hooking up. i pulled a 26 ft. colmen up state from me, about 3hr drive. little interstate with my truck and i had nothing but a standered drop hitch, i had no problems at all, but for what ever reason i can't do it with my springdale and its only a few feet longer over all. i know there are all kinds of factors, where the axels are and such. all i am saying is, try it out and see where it goes for you. i do a lot of time on the interstate and i am acutally suprised on how many people don't use anything but a standered drop.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote