Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
NMcamper

Sway control

Hello, could any one help us with our swaying of our 26RB premiere. We pull our trailer with 2015 GMC 2500HD. We did pull with a 1500 but up grade the truck. Our sway get really bad when we are on the high way. TH WD and sway control is a Pro series with a Cap. of 10,000 GTW and 1,000 TW. Could any one help us take the bad sway out.
NMcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
f6bits

It could just be an adjustment and/or trailer load distribution issue.

What brand is the hitch? I don't recognize the "Pro Series" name.

What's the wheelbase of your truck?

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
It could just be an adjustment and/or trailer load distribution issue.

What brand is the hitch? I don't recognize the "Pro Series" name.

What's the wheelbase of your truck?
Probably an EAZ Lift hitch... They call it a Pro Series, that's what I have on my truck. Works as good as any other standard hitch and friction sway control.

The trick is to set the hitch up correctly.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
f6bits

Is that a single friction sway control? I didn't think that was adequate for something like the Premiere 26RB. Then again, *if* the truck is a 2500 crew cab long bed, I'd think sway wouldn't be an issue.

This does make me wonder if the sway became worse when they upgraded the truck.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Is that a single friction sway control? I didn't think that was adequate for something like the Premiere 26RB. Then again, *if* the truck is a 2500 crew cab long bed, I'd think sway wouldn't be an issue.

I have a 2890RL and the single is plenty as long as the crosswinds are less than 30 mph, at that point I stop and put the left one on... or slow down to 55mph.. Course I have a 172" wheelbase on my F250 CC SRW 2WD.

I expect that the hitch wasn't adjusted properly when the truck was upgraded and the trailer is nose high.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
NMcamper

Thank for responds

From what i have read could it be possible I'm taking to much weight off the hitch.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
NMcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have a 2890RL and the single is plenty as long as the crosswinds are less than 30 mph, at that point I stop and put the left one on... or slow down to 55mph.. Course I have a 172" wheelbase on my F250 CC SRW 2WD.

I expect that the hitch wasn't adjusted properly when the truck was upgraded and the trailer is nose high.
I did lower the hitch, but is it possible to tak to much weight off the hitch with the WD bars.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
NMcamper

Quote:

the sway did not really become worse so to say
yes single friction sway bar
The truck is a double cab with a 78" bed.
The winds are most of the time high as it is NM.
Thank for you help.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMcamper View Post
I did lower the hitch, but is it possible to tak to much weight off the hitch with the WD bars.
Yes... there are several threads on here that tell how to adjust the hitch and the W/D bars so I won't type out another. A quick search should give you hours of reading..
Old 06-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
NMcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Yes... there are several threads on here that tell how to adjust the hitch and the W/D bars so I won't type out another. A quick search should give you hours of reading..
Okay thanks sounds good.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
GaryWT

Good luck in getting it fixed. I went from a 150 where I would have sway from time to time to a 350 and no sway. I lowered the hitch as low as it could go so the hitch height is the same. I left the bars the same and varicose the the front was at the correct level after putting the bars on and all was good

Be sure you have enough weight up front and try not to add weight behind the axles.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:07 AM   #12
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Good luck in getting it fixed. I went from a 150 where I would have sway from time to time to a 350 and no sway. I lowered the hitch as low as it could go so the hitch height is the same. I left the bars the same and varicose the the front was at the correct level after putting the bars on and all was good

Be sure you have enough weight up front and try not to add weight behind the axles.
Question as it relates to this. Our TT has a back storage area on the right hand side (when facing the trailer). I have in there my BAL chocks, 2 camping chairs and a small camping chair style table, and our carpet and footmat.

Am I doing myself a disservice by having all that back there? I could definitely put some of that up front (where literally everything else is) and move some lighter stuff like leveling blocks and sanitation stuff back there.

our last trip involved some sway that saw me down to 50-55 mph as a result to get rid of it. Tightening up the WD bars a link helped as well, but now I am thinking i could load the trailer better. I did have 2 kids and more stuff for them this time, so I am sure that is a factor as usually its just the wife and I.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMcamper View Post
Hello, could any one help us with our swaying of our 26RB premiere. We pull our trailer with 2015 GMC 2500HD. We did pull with a 1500 but up grade the truck. Our sway get really bad when we are on the high way. TH WD and sway control is a Pro series with a Cap. of 10,000 GTW and 1,000 TW. Could any one help us take the bad sway out.
NM, I have the same hitch. I ended up lowering it by an inch and had to tilt the head. It removed all the sway problems with the exception being big cross winds.
good luck.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
dm1401

Some thing else to check is the rear tires of your truck, make sure they are "E" rated tires, I have heard of some 3/4 and 1 ton's being sold with "D" rated tires. The E tire has a stiffer side wall and more weight capacity.
Previous RV 1997 Kit Companion 22ST
1977 Bonair tent trailer.
dm1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #15
wowchad

When we upgraded the trailer tires to "D" load range from factory "C" load range that helped a lot too
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
lawdes

At the risk of creating a debate, I initially had some sway issues with wind, and figured what a waste of money if I can't take this thing out when it is windy. Its always windy in OKlahoma, and in western Kansas and Wyoming where we go a lot. I ended up getting the ProPride hitch (similar to Hensley), which has virtually eliminated ALL sway, completely, absolutely. Darnedest thing i ever saw....truth in advertising! But, it works. Had some issues with the spring bar jacks being pulled off-center, but eventually fixed that with some spacers welded to the frame. But, they are expensive, about $2500 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
cabinfever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdes View Post
At the risk of creating a debate, I initially had some sway issues with wind, and figured what a waste of money if I can't take this thing out when it is windy. Its always windy in OKlahoma, and in western Kansas and Wyoming where we go a lot. I ended up getting the ProPride hitch (similar to Hensley), which has virtually eliminated ALL sway, completely, absolutely. Darnedest thing i ever saw....truth in advertising! But, it works. Had some issues with the spring bar jacks being pulled off-center, but eventually fixed that with some spacers welded to the frame. But, they are expensive, about $2500 or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Not expensive when compared to the cost of truck and TT. Most important is the safety of you, your loved ones, and others on the road. I was impressed after installing my Hensley. The TT does not move!

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote