Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
MConnelly

NADA BOOK VALUE vs.The actual market??

I have long been a believer in NADA for vehicle values. When it comes to cars it is very close to "What you see is what you get". But I have found motorcycles and boats to vary greatly, NADA pricing vs market. Being somewhat new to the RV world I wonder how NADA values actually stack up against what the market will support.
When I bought our current Fuzion 403 I started with NADA values and worked from there. I looked for every comparable listing I could find on the internet. I then set a number far below reasonable and negated up from there. My rule of thumb was , if the dealer let me walk my number was too low.I "walked" a number of times.
I am considering selling my 403 and looking at the NADA value/s I wonder if it is possible the market could support their numbers.
I know it only takes one person to want what I have for sale to make a deal but the wrong advertised numbers could prevent that person form ever talking to me or seeing the rig.
Dealer pricing on used rigs seems a poor judge of market as I know what the dealer was asking for my rig and I know what I paid for it. (big difference).
And, there simply are not a lot of 403's on the market.
Any thoughts?
MConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 AM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Ive bought/sold/traded 4x in the last 12 years.

Perhaps it's is a regional thing, but I always thought the NADA values for RVs was whacky high.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Bob Landry

It's pretty much what the market will bear. NADA and KBB are updated on a percentage calculation of value. There is a third source, Black Book. I don't know if it applies to RVs or only cars and trucks. Black Book is available only to dealers and financial sources. When I traded my truck, the dealer went by Black Book pricing which was significantly lower than what I found using NADA or KBB. When I asked about Black Book, the salesman was very evasive and just did not want to talk about it much. Most people are not even aware of the existence of Black Book. It's very similar to the BUC Book used by marine lenders in that it is updated weekly and is based on actual selling prices, and like BUC is probably influenced by different regions. If I were selling a trailer, I would ask a local dealer which pricing source they use and go from there. You can look around on Craigslist, but you are only going to see asking prices, and I never put much credence in them.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

RV value is really "consumer established" much like art, antiques, collectables and other "I just gotta have one" items. My DW has a pretty extensive collection of "high end" porcelain figurines. I know what we paid for them and there's a "value book" associated with the collector's society to which she belongs. The value of those figures appreciates annually and the book reflects the increasing prices. Problem is, to sell them, you have to find a buyer who agrees with you on the value. If you can't find a buyer, those figurines are essentially worthless (except for collecting dust).

RV's are much the same. Depending on the season, the buyer's interest and even the color of the interior, what one person may find "priceless" the very next to look at it might feel it's "worthless".

In the used car business, they say, "there's a butt for every seat, just need to find the right butt."

When we were looking, NADA and KBB were essentially worthless to us. Our Springdale listed "low retail" about 3K lower than what the dealer offered us in trade. Our Cougar wasn't listed, NADA was all 0 or N/A. As for used RV's that saw on lots that I would have been interested in, the asking price and the NADA price had nothing in common, usually NADA was lower by 3-5K.

Pricing "ought to be" objective, but I think it's much more subjective, depending on what's available and who's looking.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
mikell

When I sold the last one I looked up the numbers and put it out there for what they said. A crazy person came all the way from Saskawatchan?? and bought the thing for 1k$ less than I had listed it for. I would have sold it for a few less but couldn't argue.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
B&T

As a seller, I would only use and point out NADA prices in my advertisement if the NADA numbers were close to or higher than my asking price.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #7
Ken / Claudia

I believe you are overthinking what might happen. You have found what others are asking. If yours is in same shape ask about what others are asking. Than have a lowest price you will sell at and do not go below that. Anyone looking to buy that model would also know what others are priceing them at.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #8
airforceret

I've sold two for above NADA and have one at $1k less than NADA and can't even get someone to come look at it....

It's all about who is buying and what they are wanting on any given day...

Good luck...
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Bluewater

Remember those guides are made for the use and profit of the dealers and banks not the general public.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
billb800si

Last May we sold our 2007 Jayco Eagle 322FKS. Checked out NADA on a bluebook price. NADA is way over priced. They will ask you questions about items that are included with the base price of the trailer. This just jacks up the price- period. Best thing to do is check around your area and determine what RV's are going for. In used trailers floor plans are very important- Also include if your RV was smoke free- pet free etc...
And finally you can never have too many photos of your RV for people to look over.
Good luck,

Bill B. (Michigan)
2014 Cougar H.C. 321RES
2007 Dodge Megacab 6.7 Cummins
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
scuba0331

When I bought my used 2008 Outback 26RLS I looked at Ebay, RV Trader Online, Google and various websites to get a feel for Market value. Its all subjective anyway!

But, the problem is the banks will tend loan based on KBB. That is what I found out at least. You could call an RV loan company and see what they will loan on your camper.
scuba0331 is offline   Reply With Quote