Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
Gpokorn

Winter camping

Hello everyone,
Dumb question from this First Timer... we just had our Fifth Wheel Springdale winterized and I'm assuming we are done until next spring. But I'm still seeing RVs on the roads around Denver. Can I camp still? And if I can, would it be with or without water? Thx, GAP
Gpokorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

If it has been winterized you shouldn't camp in it using water or you will have to winterize it again. You can carry water for drinking and other uses or use a campground facility - you just don't want to introduce water into any of the water or drain lines.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Gpokorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If it has been winterized you shouldn't camp in it using water or you will have to winterize it again. You can carry water for drinking and other uses or use a campground facility - you just don't want to introduce water into any of the water or drain lines.
Thank you very much - that's what I was thinking. And to clarify - I could run the furnace for room heat; I could use the stove and refrigerator. I just can't use the sinks, shower, or toilet, right? Thanks again - I'm learning LoL!
Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Yes you could run the furnace and use the stove and fridge. If boondocking you can run the fridge on LP. The furnace will run through your battery charge very quickly depending on what kind and how many batteries you have. If you stay in an improved campground with power things are much easier.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Gpokorn

Thanks! Now my "War Department" wants me to ask if we didn't have it winterized to begin with would running the furnace keep the fresh water tank, gray water tank, and connected water lines from freezing? She's wondering if we winterized too soon. I'm looking at it like my lawn sprinklers - better to shut things down before the first hard freeze. Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:08 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

You're in middle to northern CO. Weather there can vary a lot. When to winterize and how far you want to push it is really in your hands. Look at the coming weather and use your knowledge of the past. If I am going to experience days of night time lows at 30 or below, and low daytime temps I get ready. If you are going to experience several days of 27-30 at night and things then warm up in the day I don't worry about it. You have to get a "feel" for it and watch what's coming. Where you are I figure I would have winterized too.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:46 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

In addition to Danny's comments, consider that you don't (yet) have the skill set to winterize your trailer yourself (based on your comment that you "had it done")... If that's the situation, that you don't know how or have the equipment to do it yourself) should you wait "until the last minute, so you can enjoy your trailer a few more weekends, when the "ice hits the fan" and you HAVE TO WINTERIZE NOW !!!!! what if you can't get it scheduled before tomorrow ???? Will it get damaged by a hard freeze that lasts longer than the forecasters predicted ???

IMHO, if you are going to do the work yourself, you can wait until the last minute. If you've got to rely on someone else who may or may not be able to schedule it when you "absolutely have to have it done", then it's best to "err on the side of caution"....

Next summer, while you're enjoying your trailer (hopefully without freeze damage) take the time to learn how to do the winterization in your side yard. That way, both you and your DW won't have to second guess anybody else's schedule and you can continue to use your trailer "up to the last minute" and be independent of someone else's ability to "save you from damage"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
In addition to Danny's comments, consider that you don't (yet) have the skill set to winterize your trailer yourself (based on your comment that you "had it done")... If that's the situation, that you don't know how or have the equipment to do it yourself) should you wait "until the last minute, so you can enjoy your trailer a few more weekends, when the "ice hits the fan" and you HAVE TO WINTERIZE NOW !!!!! what if you can't get it scheduled before tomorrow ???? Will it get damaged by a hard freeze that lasts longer than the forecasters predicted ???

IMHO, if you are going to do the work yourself, you can wait until the last minute. If you've got to rely on someone else who may or may not be able to schedule it when you "absolutely have to have it done", then it's best to "err on the side of caution"....

Next summer, while you're enjoying your trailer (hopefully without freeze damage) take the time to learn how to do the winterization in your side yard. That way, both you and your DW won't have to second guess anybody else's schedule and you can continue to use your trailer "up to the last minute" and be independent of someone else's ability to "save you from damage"....
X2!
Any one that owns a RV needs to know/learn about every system on it, from heating/cooling to plumbing/electrical to suspension/tires & be willing/able to repair it as well or have very deep pockets or willing to lose the use of it for extended periods of time waiting on someone else.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:33 AM   #9
Tbos

Once you learn how to winterize it yourself you have more freedom. I have friends that camp all winter. They just winterize between trips.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
Gpokorn

Thank you all for your responses. Agreed on all points - including learning how to winterize myself. Enjoy the rest of the year and I hope our paths cross in 2020. Thx, GAP
Old 10-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #11
notanlines

To further what John suggested, I read on some RV help site years ago where the monitor recommended newbies learn how to winterize their RV's while on an average week-end, just to help further their knowledge. He suggested using two or three gallons of fresh water tinted to a nice blue with food coloring instead of pink anti-freeze so that one would know when everything had pumped up the correct material. So what if the water had a blue tint for a little while? It would be like St Paul water, only not brown....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:28 PM   #12
RWRiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpokorn View Post
Thank you very much - that's what I was thinking. And to clarify - I could run the furnace for room heat; I could use the stove and refrigerator. I just can't use the sinks, shower, or toilet, right? Thanks again - I'm learning LoL!
Yes, you are correct.
RWRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Only problem around here with winterizing your self is when you wait til the freeze gets here and then go to buy the needed RV antifreeze. Do that before its needed and you can find plenty on any store shelf. Ask how I know, its something you only do once.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:52 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Only problem around here with winterizing your self is when you wait til the freeze gets here and then go to buy the needed RV antifreeze. Do that before its needed and you can find plenty on any store shelf. Ask how I know, its something you only do once.
Been there, Done that, Got the TeeShirt, Poster and Trophy !!!!! Now, I buy RV antifreeze 6 gallons at a time. It takes 2 gallons to do my Cougar, so that "theoretically" is 3 years worth of antifreeze. I only keep it for a year or so, but if I bought only the necessary 2 gallons, I'd spill a jug and have to go to the store to buy more and, like Ken, they'd be "sold out" and I'd be stuck...

So, buy a "6 pack" and be done with it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #15
flashg21230

I would caution you that sometimes when someone else winterizes your rig you don't know if it's fine properly. My first year I had the campground do it for me and they forgot to do the toilet or didn't do it correctly. I ended up having a cracked bowl and had to replace it.
flashg21230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #16
blubuckaroo
Gone Traveling

This won't completely solve your issue, but you can leave lines winterized and manually flush the toilet with anti freeze. Just keep a few gallons along. It's pretty inexpensive.
blubuckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 AM   #17
ADQ K9

This year I blew out the lines before adding the pink stuff. used less antifreeze. My TT has been winterized since mid Sept due to my schedule Came home to the "Pineapple Express" blowing into town, not gonna see any hard freezing till next week. Wish I had more time to camp. I go back to work. tomorrow
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
rjrelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Been there, Done that, Got the TeeShirt, Poster and Trophy !!!!! Now, I buy RV antifreeze 6 gallons at a time. It takes 2 gallons to do my Cougar, so that "theoretically" is 3 years worth of antifreeze. I only keep it for a year or so, but if I bought only the necessary 2 gallons, I'd spill a jug and have to go to the store to buy more and, like Ken, they'd be "sold out" and I'd be stuck...

So, buy a "6 pack" and be done with it.....
Also learned my lesson to keep antifreeze stocked up after opening the low point drains and forgetting to close them again before sucking antifreeze into the system. Right out the bottom, down the driveway, and into the gutter.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:35 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrelander View Post
Also learned my lesson to keep antifreeze stocked up after opening the low point drains and forgetting to close them again before sucking antifreeze into the system. Right out the bottom, down the driveway, and into the gutter.
I've got the "participation trophy" for that too......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #20
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpokorn View Post
Thanks! Now my "War Department" wants me to ask if we didn't have it winterized to begin with would running the furnace keep the fresh water tank, gray water tank, and connected water lines from freezing? She's wondering if we winterized too soon. I'm looking at it like my lawn sprinklers - better to shut things down before the first hard freeze. Thoughts?
“War Department”, that’s good. Yes, if you are running your furnace it should keep your tanks and interior plumbing from freezing (provided there is a duct from the furnace to the enclosed underbelly, which I believe is the case for most newer Keystones).

I don’t think this would be practical to do instead of winterizing but if you wanted to camp during the colder months you could.

If you are camping and it is super cold, you may want to open cabinets with plumbing in them so the heat can get in there more easily.

If you have a hose hooked to the city water connection you would need to insulate it at the least or use heat tape around the hose.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter